Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emergency Tax - Help :(

Options
  • 21-07-2006 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭

Hey, I hope this is the correct section to post this in.

Anyway, I started work about 5-6 months ago and emergency tax has been getting taken away from me over these past months. It has built up to a large sum at this stage but I am wishing to keep letting it build up and us it as a form of saving ( I'm not good as saving :( ) It will help pay for car insurance etc..

My worry is I do not know when I wil HAVE to claim it back. I would like to keep it running for a further 5 months atleast before I claim it back and get the lump sum. Can you's tell me how I must claim this back and when it must be done by or can I keep it going for as long as I like ?

I am so confused, Its unbelievable. I don't have a clue at all how the tax system works.

OH and incase you's want to know I'm 17 and is my 1st job. I presume I am entitled to claim it back as it is stated on my pay slip each time my tax balance and its growing every time i get paid.

Thanks alot,

Hj

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,186 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The tax year ends with the calendar year. You can claim it then.

Depending on how much you earn, they will work out how much to tax at the lower rate, how much if anything at the higher rate and you will be paid back the difference which you have 'over' paid.

For next year, you will be issued with a tax cert which will have your tax sorted out from the start of the year.

It's worth calling in to them though, they have always found me a few shillings I have over paid, or a way to get a bit more tax credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054960862

(Would be better posted in Work/Jobs forum.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Will post it there now in a min.

But can I not claim back all my emergency tax which has been taken? From anybody who has told me I get every bit of it back as I am under age ( ? ) And part time working in a retail outlet. I'm confused now.

Hj

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭RandomOne

Yes, you can claim it back anytime you like by filling in the revenue forms so they issue you and send to your employer a tax code that's correct for you. This will automatically calculate how much you're owed on the next pay run. But you said you wanted to keep it going as it's your way of saving, so the poster advised that at the end of the tax & calendar year. It's up to you to sort it sooner than this if you want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭gagalina

Hey HungryJoey,

I would advise to get your emergency tax back asap, a friend of mine started working last year in august and he is still waiting for his tax back!! First they couldnt be reached by phone as they were always busy, then he couldnt get it back as the tax year was just finished, then after new year they were even more busy, and then they realised that some information was missing and he is still waiting...... The last update was that it was being processed and processing time is about 5 - 6 weeks or a year.....

Gagalina

• Advertisement
Advertisement