Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Razorlight - Razorlight

Options
  • 22-07-2006 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 43,931 ✭✭✭✭

About time we get a new review up here!

So this is an album i've been listening to repeatedly since the start of the week on the iPod.. with any album like this, it typically needs a couple of listens to really form an opinion on it and of course whether it stands up to repeated listens.

On the first listen.. i was moderately impressed with a couple of songs but it really didn't grab me until a couple of listens and i've grown to really really love it. Due to it being a relatively short album (well.. more or less standard duration for most indie albums nowadays) clocking in at 10 songs and just over 35 minutes, it stands up to many repeated listens and with a healthy mix of pop-sounding ditties (the majority being more or less) and indie tracks.

1. In The Morning - was extremely disappointed with this first single initially - probably because every time i hear it either on the radio or mentioned.. i couldn't help but think about The Coral song "In The Morning". But it is a true summer song which has really grown on me with all the airplay it's been getting.

2. Who Needs Love - the piano / keyboard fuelling the song instantly reminds me of those songs in 70's musicals like 'Grease' - you'll know exactly what i mean when you hear it. Probably the poppiest sounding song but a very catchy and happy song with Johnny's voice on top-warbling form.

3. Hold On - catchy song which will both go down a treat at festivals or in clubs on a Saturday night.. got a bouncy beat you can't resist bopping or nodding your head too.

4. America - a slow but heartfelt politically-themed song with views on the current state of the US. Can't help but be reminded me of U2's "The Hands That Built America" during some of the slower tempo moments of the track. But some increases in tempo really prevent this from being drab.

5. Fall To Pieces - another catchy song with an extremely infectious chorus and with brief flashes of Justin Hawkins sounding vocals (don't let this put you off).. more than likely will be a single!

6. I Can't Stop This Feeling That I've Got - this is another favourite of mine. A song that really tests Johnny's voice essentially against a simple bassline but a sudden tempo change gradually brings the song to a exciting (but hardly) rip-roaring conclusion.

7. Pop Song 2006 - well.. as the title suggests, it does exactly what it says on the tin. Not much else to say about it - also a possibly single - very impressive and catchy song which will definantly get people moving on a dancefloor.

8. Kirby's House - my least favourite song on the album and rumoured to be the next single. The song isn't bad... but in my opinion just doesn't sit well in the latter half of the album.

9. Back To The Start - a dinstinct 80's feel to this in parts. But the closest you'll get to something from 'Up All Night' as you'll get on the album with a (very slight) similar sound to 'Stumble And Fall'. A rip-roaring song from start to finish.

10. Los Angeles Waltz - without a shadow of a doubt, my favourite song on the album. Absolutely fantastic.. one of my favourite songs of the Summer so far. The numerous brillantly executed tempo changes and Johnny's voice being on top form combined with some strong lyrics and a general upbeat song to the entire song. A definite anthem track at festivals which i hope will get released.

Very impressed with this follow up to their fantastic debut 'Up All Night'... i think this album definantly has taken the band in a somewhat new direction and may open them to a more diverse range of fans.

And definantly very much more pop-orientated.. not sure how their existing fans will feel about it but i simply respect bands who have a winning formula on a debut album and risk it all for a new sound on the high-pressure follow-up album.

Rating: **** / *****

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Great review! Dying to listen to the album but funking CD WOW are holding me up. :mad: Every review I've read for this album has been exceptionally positive. Despite me adoring Up All Night I doubted they had the genuine ability to avoid 2nd album syndrome so I think it goes to show by altering your sound and taking a risk (in Razorlight's case been more pop orientated) pays its dividends. Of the songs I do know, America and I Can't Stop This Feeling I've Got are definite singles IMO but I unsure as to why Kirby's House is on the album since it's an old song which appeared on the Warchild album a year ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 almv

Great review - pretty much sums up my views. The next single to be released from it is America not Kirby's House which is a good move. I agree that LA Waltz is an amazing song- I can't listen to it without the hairs on my neck standing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Razorlite make me vomit in my sleep .........the new album is **** .America is by far the worst song to be recorded in the last 9 years , over rated rock star wannabe who knows how to act and look like a rockstar but doesent know how write songs like them ...i hate them and him with all my heart.........In the mornings catchy ..il give him that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Finally got a chance to give the album solid listening and I like it but there's no doubt that some of these 5 star reviews it has got or Q mag calling it the best album since Definitely Maybe is beyond ridiculous.

Love or loathe Borrell you have to give him the credit for having the balls to pretty much changing Razorlight's overall sound within one album. He pulls it off well, this a proper album made up of songs that blend well into each other instead of a record dominated by maybe 2/3 monster anthems. The main downside to this album is that Borrell has compensated the edgy rip roaring anthems on Up All Night for the perfectly crafted indie/pop songs.... this will alienate alot of fans as you only get the impression that Borrell is aiming for the glam of the large arenas (see America) here instead of sticking to his punky roots. Favourites of mine are the catchy In The Morning, the poptastic Who Needs Love?, the monster stadium anthem America, I Can't Stop This Feeling I've Got, Back To The Start and Los Angeles Waltz but the others despite been well crafted and decent album tracks are too formulatic for my liking. Good follow up no doubt but lacking that edge that was the trademark of Razorlight's debut, I can only see myself listening to Up All Night more than this one in the future. However Borrell is a great songwriter as he has proved this with the big follow up but he still has got a bit to do if he's going to legitimately outdo anything Bob Dylan has done! ;) 7.5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

''If your comparing debuts bob dylans is eating chips im drinking champagne ''

The guys ''lyrics'' are so base he makes paddy casey look like Jeff Magnum
    and he thinks by using people disgust glands (by comparing himself to bob ) hel get noticed im serious theres not one fantastic song on there new album ,the last album had one good hook that was a rip off of another song from the early 90's pure drivel

Girl with the golden touch the mantra of the moron:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

is the radio version of america not completely different to album? i b confused

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Loved "up all night", but felt a little underwhelmed by this follow up after a couple of listens.
    Giving it another chance now after reading that review. well done:)

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭dbs_sailor

RAIN wrote:
    Razorlite make me vomit in my sleep .........the new album is **** .America is by far the worst song to be recorded in the last 9 years , over rated rock star wannabe who knows how to act and look like a rockstar but doesent know how write songs like them ...i hate them and him with all my heart.........In the mornings catchy ..il give him that

hahahahahaha

funniest post ever

i agree, btw.

Advertisement