Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bath blocked up.

Options
  • 22-07-2006 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭

I moved into a new house a few weeks ago and the bath was funcioning properly - with the water from the shower draining away freely. Now its blocked up.

I removed the 'trap/u-bend' and there didnt seem to be any obstruction. I got a bottle of drain unblocker but that has had no effect.

What should I try next?

I did see this long tube down the hardware shop thats for the purpose of clearing blockages. Would this be a good idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Pour a full bottle of Domestos down the drain. leave it for a few hours. Then pour in a full kettle of boiling water. It sometimes does the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

New House might suggest the problem is external. Are there any other bath tubs/showers/wash hand basins with a similar problem? Test them all to try and isolate the source of the problem. If the problem is affecting others then it seems there's an external blockage.

Track the waste pipe from the bath tub to the first AJ (Miini Manhole). Run tap and see if water passes. If not at least you know the blockage is somewhere between where you stand and the bath tub.

The AJs can be clogged with builders rubble and need to be carefully removed. Other sources of problem is hair build up but this is unlikely in a new house. Pipe un blocker will not remove lumbers crap and/or builders rubble.

You could also try blasting air down the drainhole (this is a small handpump costs about € 5 in Woodies etc) but remember to seal the overflow outlet (a wet sponge/J cloth is ideal). Run the cold tap and simultaneously pump hard, just watch and see all the wonderful debris, dust etc which emerges from the drain hole. Repeat until water drains freely and dispose of all debris safely and not down drains.

If this doesn't work, I'd say your problem is external.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭serotonin_sam

Thanks for posting guys. Went back to the DIY place and picked up that 3m tube. Forced it down the pipe and twisted it a few times - problem solved. I *think* the guys I got in on weekends to help me out with tiling allowed adhesive/grout down the plughole...which may have been the problem.

Advertisement