Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Philips 5350H HDD query

• 22-07-2006 2:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

Hopefully this is not too vague or hard to follow, but maybe if someone has a similar HDD box it will make sense.

I have bought a philips 5350hdd from technikdirekt and am trying to set it up. I have downloaded the instructions from the internet in English so theoretically it should be plain sailing. I have hooked it up through my Sky digital as described. However I dont seem to be able to get the Guide plus function working.
    I have tried to adjust the settings - first of all I search for analogue tv channels of which it finds none - maybe not a big deal as all my channels come thru the Sky digibox. Then I try to set up Guide plus. Fist of all you have to search for your country. Ireland is not an option but there is a catchall under "others". When I select this and go to select the "Ext" which is effectively just the scart to which Sky is connected, it does not let me choose Satellite. The only thing I can do to make progress is to choose UK as my country and put in a random Post code. This then allows me to choose a Satellite (Sky digital, Plus etc) as my "Ext" option. The problem with this is that while it is more progress than using "others" as my country it still does not bring up a listing of TV programmes.

Does anyone have a similar HDD, does it give "Ireland" as a country option? Any other suggestions

Cheers
    Baz

Hmmm just doing some research - it appears that the model sold in the Uk and Ireland is the 5350H/02, whereas in Germany it is the 5350H/05. I wonder if this is the problem and if so is there anything that can be done??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 David B

Hi,

Did you ever get your guide plus working? If so how? I am in the same position except I use NTL basic package rather than Satalite.

Cheers

David

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭WannaGetFit

Guys,
    I bought the philips 5350H in Ireland a week ago and have NTL digital. I have the same problem, ANY update from you??

I just talked to NTL. They said guide plus will be available in Nov/Dec this yr to NTL.

Hi

Entry into the setup menu that you are in the UK and enter a Northern Ireland postcode. Try BT7 1NN. You will get BBC1, BBC2 UTV and C4

will give it a go, i wonder if a different code in NI would give more channels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭jackal

Hi,
    I have the 5330h (i think). The problem might be that on mine at least, the sattelite receiver should be hooked up to EXT2, rather than EXT1.

so jackel, are you saying that guide plus works for you in republic of ireland??
    do you have ntl, sky or what?

Apparantly using another NI postcode will not enable you to get more channels. When I spoke to NTL, they didn't know anything about guideplus and weren't able to say if they were ever going to introduce it.

I have reported Phillips to the Director of Consumer Affairs for mis selling and inappropriate product description.

Would be interested to hear if anyone gets any further.
    regards

David

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 TriWannabe

David B, did you hear anything back from them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 student2006

Hi
    i also have a 3330H/05 DVD recorder and cannot get the standard stations (ie RTE 1 thru to UTV /Skyone) on the recorder, it tells me it can only find 3 ch4, e4 and discovery
    Where are you entering in the postcode as I cant see anywhere to enter this in ?

• Advertisement

I reported Philips to the director of consumer affairs in Ireland for misrepresenting their products. They the view that no breach of the applicable legislation has occurred on this occasion as the player is capable of recording with Guideplus.

Someone from Phillips called me and left a ref number. I called back but they had no record of the ref no and didn't know why anyone would be calling.

I have to say that I am very disappointed with the player and would not recommend anyine buy one. You can't use video plus, it is very slow to respond to the remote and generally is pretty useless and not user friendly.

Has anyone heard if NTL are introducing guideplus in Ireland?

I sent NTL an email regarding Guideplus about a week or so ago.
    Got a reply saying

"We would like to inform you that from Friday 22nd December until early January 2007 we will be upgrading our e-mail service. Please note that this may delay our response time to you to resolve your query during this period".

Still waiting.......

Any response from NTL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 student2006

I brought my HDD back to shop and they found out the reason I couldnt get the analogue channels tunned in was that the country selected was the UK not Ireland and hence was looking for a uHF band or something whereas we are VHF (or vice versa), basically in the setup menu you select country / language and then and there is the list of all countries - select Ireland and then auto install and you should have all basic channels RTE 1 thru Skyone
    Though saying all that, I am still not happy as under the section that videoplus should be its called timer system and when i enter the digits from tv guide I still have to enter the channel, start time, end time and date and for some reason it wont record 2 different progs from 2 separate channels in the same night, (you have to put it on standby ) but after recording the first one the recorder is on and wont record the 2nd one as the recorder is not on standby - anyone know why - my old vcr worked fine for this !!!!!!!

no reply from ntl.......i'd say they have been told to ignore questions about it to be honest.

student2006, i am by no means an expert or anything but that sounds like you need to bring it to get it fixed by maker, or replaced (the not being able to record 2 different channels thing)

Advertisement