Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bye bye Bergie

• 22-07-2006 3:01pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭

Well the curtain comes down on DB10's career this afternoon with his testimonial against Ajax at Emirates Stadium, in front of a crowd of 54,000. I'm not sure who is going to be playing, but Arsenal.com have confirmed that Cruyff(!), Vieira, and Wright will all make appearances, while I've heard that Van Basten, Adams and Keown could be there too. Can't wait.

What can be said about Bergkamp that hasn't already been said, what a legend he's been for club and country. The hat-trick against Leicester, that goal against Argentina... he's made football so much more enjoyable to watch and he'll be missed. He probably stayed on a season too long but it's fitting that he got to see out the Highbury era and is there to see in the start of a new one - he really helped elevate Arsenal to another level, like Cantona did for United. I remember when he signed, I couldn't believe it. Dennis Bergkamp, signing for... Arsenal!

Cheers Dennis... treat us to a Bergkamp curler this afternoon please!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

The Flying dutchman, I remember when he played for Inter, and he was a huge signing, for a top player to move from Italy to England !

His goal against Newcastle, similar to the one versus argentina, was top class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Yup, the argentinian goal is one of my fdavourite all time goals, the amazing touch and swivel.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I was there when he got his international far well with Holland. The dutch loved him. Thats was some night.

At Inter I dont think he ever hit it off. He sade that Inters colours meant he couldnt play his best. He said his best performance came in red and white.

I wonder what he'll do now?

I think he does TV work in Holland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jirzCkR-jSY&search=dennis%20bergkamp

That goal versus Newcastle is probably my favourite goal of all time. I can look at it again and again. He knew exactly what he was doing. Had the pleasure of seeing him in Villa Park last year, and while he had a quiet game, some of his pasing was amazing.

A true legend, and a loss to Arsenal, Holland, and indeed, to football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Despite how much I dislike him, he was just a genius, one of the best football players I've ever seen, only wish I had got to see him live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

PHB wrote:
    Despite how much I dislike him, he was just a genius, one of the best football players I've ever seen, only wish I had got to see him live.

you saved me some typing. I agree 100% with that PHB.

Me Ref? stamp on someone...never ref. I'm as good as gold.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

It will be sad not seeing the Ice Man in an Arsenal shirt anymore. One of the best if not the best forgien player to ever grace the english game. Did he ever score a bad goal

Also now in an era of big time charlies like Cole, Rio and the like he was a model professional never complained about anything. Did his best, play the game and went home to his family after that. There arent too many of them around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

He was absolute quality and to my mind the best 'foreigner' to play in the Premiership. The fact that legends like Johann Cryuff and Marco Van Basten turned up to play in his testimonial says it all about him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Was this game supposed to be on TG4 or watever it is called now? flicked over around 7 on Sat and nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Big Nelly wrote:
    Was this game supposed to be on TG4 or watever it is called now? flicked over around 7 on Sat and nothing.

Yeah it was, but it was a 3pm kick-off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Was in Zoo then just after watching the Seals been fed, alot more skill than Bergie ever had:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Although I hated the fact that he played for the Gooners, he was one of the more cultured players to grace the Premiership. I was lucky enough to see him in the flesh (barely!) at the old Wembley playing for Arse against Barca. Think it's a night Arsenal would rather forget, though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Listen to the Dutch commentator when he scores that goal vs The Argies. He goes absolutely wild.

I saw the last few minutes of the testimonial the other day. Funny how the Ajax keeper apologised to Bergkamp for saving his shot at the death!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Was a 5.15pm kick off. ;)

Fitting tribute to DB10, some great names playing on Saturday, Cryuff playing was mad stuff. Van Basten still has the touch, nearly a great goal against Bould, think we should bring back Manninger, he played well.

It was brilliant just before the second half when all the players were been introduced.

Bergkamp was a legend, and it was a great bit of business by Rioch. I think as someone else pointed out he did the same for Arsenal as Cantona did for Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

He was absolute quality and to my mind the best 'foreigner' to play in the Premiership.

God I'm not sure about that. If you mean non-English I think Roy Keane would have to be ahead there by miles. I 'd put Erci Cantona, Peter Schmeichel and Zola ahead of him...I'll give him 5th.

Advertisement