Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

amplify eircom signal

• 22-07-2006 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I am using Eircom WiFi at home and want to boost the signal from our office to the house and am stumped as to how to go about it. i can barely get a signal in one up stairs room and I can't move the wireless router from where it is.

Anyone with any suggestons as to how i should go about it ie. use an amplifier or ariels? the rouetr is a standard eircom router

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Distance between the router and where you need to connect? Is it within one building?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Panther

distance is about 50 metres between two buildings I have line of site from the office out building through a large bay window and can get a weak signal within the house sporadically

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

i spent the last 2 weeks trying to do that same, 2 houses about 100m apart, finally got it working today

fitted 2 antennas that were on 6 foot co-ax leads (maplins), not connecting!
    I managed to mount 1 antenna outside the house , this got a connection, with no bars signal, stood up a metal baking tray about 3 inches the far side of the indoor antenna, signal goes to 2 bars instantly, take it away and back to no bars

presume the metal tray stops reduces intererence/noise from the the far side of the house, and the wi-fi card can just instantly increase its gain to get a better signal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

mukki wrote:
    fitted 2 antennas that were on 6 foot co-ax leads (maplins), not connecting!
    I managed to mount 1 antenna outside the house , this got a connection, with no bars signal

Coex will leak a 2.4 ghz signal long before 6ft
    presume the metal tray stops reduces intererence/noise from the the far side of the house, and the wi-fi card can just instantly increase its gain to get a better signal

Simply directs the signal. You would be better off with a real antenna microwave cable and proper connectors on a short cable run.
    http://www.aerial.net/shop/

Bushy has some good poasts on this here with externa cases with antennas built in for linksys routers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

NutJob wrote:
    Coex will leak a 2.4 ghz signal long before 6ft

well its travelling over 100yards, and through concrete walls, when the generic antennas didn't so it can't all be leaking

NutJob wrote:
    Simply directs the signal.

yes i know, i was just gaving my theory on why it works

NutJob wrote:
    You would be better off with a real antenna microwave cable and proper connectors on a short cable run.
    http://www.aerial.net/shop/

why would I be better off??, this works and cost under €40,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

Sorry picked things up wrong i thought you were looking for the best signal possible.
    :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template/

I built one of these for my router using some cardboard, glue, aluminium foil, and an elastic band. It was surprisingly effective, giving a solid 48Mbit connection on a desktop machine two rooms away that previously connected at a choppy 24Mbit. Also gave improved coverage downstairs in the general direction it was aimed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Get one of these and position it somewhere between your router and where you want to get the signal that you can pick it up and you should be OK. All it requires once setup is a mains socket.

Advertisement