Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro Symbol on keyboards

• 22-07-2006 4:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭

I was wondering, why do computer manufacturers make it so difficult to type the Euro Symbol (€)?
    We can type $ and £ using a shift key, but the euro symbol, which is used by millions and millions of people in Europe, needs an alt key to press.
    Why don't computer manufacturers make a keyboard, where shift + 3 or 4 is € and alt + 3 or 4 is dollar, or pound?

Or shift and 6, I can't remember the last time I used ^ when typing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

My keyboard is rather old now. Maybe it's becoming more common.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

its AltGr+4 for euro symbol

the reason is because believe it or not america and UK are very influential and most trading is done in their currencies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

^ is a rogue key, shouldn't be there at all or at least should only be sharing a key with another one. Damn you ^ key! *shakes fist*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Ah yes, it's a tough life having to press a different combination. Sigh.

^ is used to denote 'to the power of' in programming i beleive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I agree with your suggestion op, but if it never changes i wont really care.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Blisterman wrote:
    I was wondering, why do computer manufacturers make it so difficult to type the Euro Symbol (€)?
    We can type $ and £ using a shift key, but the euro symbol, which is used by millions and millions of people in Europe, needs an alt key to press.
    Why don't computer manufacturers make a keyboard, where shift + 3 or 4 is € and alt + 3 or 4 is dollar, or pound?

<sigh>
    The keyboards haven't changed.
    you can still use a 1980's AT keyboard to get a € symbol.

BLAME THE SOFTWARE - it's the drivers that convert the keys pressed into a character.

you can get utilities to remap keys

or you could get the infamous compaq 255 key keyboard, never have to use shift , ctrl or alt again !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

I use Alt + Ctrl + $

or use voice recognition software and cut off your hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭JaysusMacfeck

or you could get the infamous compaq 255 key keyboard, never have to use shift , ctrl or alt again !

link?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

I think it was the best way of doing it with out messing around with the keyboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

I use the € symbol a lot in work, its never bothered me that ya have to press 3 keys to get it though!

Like when I've been living abroad for a long time, I had to get used to pressing shift and 2 to get the @ symbol, but back home its shift and '. I could wonder why oh why this symbol is different on 'foreign' keyboards but really I couldnt care less :rolleyes: ya just get on with it! same for pressing 3 keys to get the €

oh but hey thanks to the poster who said u can press Alt Gr and 4 and get €, thats well handy tip cheers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

I haven't been able to find my Euro symbol since i sent my PC away to be fixed about 3 months ago,all the suggestions so far still haven't worked,has anyone any other suggestions for me finding the Euro symbol or even an answer as to why it's gone and where it went?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,989 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

How else are you supposed to high 5 people over the internet?

^5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

well i'll be damned. it works. sweet.

now if i could just stab people over the internet....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭the Shades

jaggeh wrote:
    its AltGr+4 for euro symbol

the reason is because believe it or not america and UK are very influential and most trading is done in their currencies.

Actually since the switchover to the €, it's been the biggest currency in the business world and is far more imporatant in trade than either the £ or the $, which makes a lot of sense when you consider the amount of people using it every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

I believe the " key is in a different position, cause well in the US anyway " is an inch and the use it alot more than @. Only thing i can think of.
    Someone else come up up with a much funnier explanation, i only woke up. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

3 keys to press??

What??

I always used Alt Gr and 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

when i got my apple powerbook i had to press alt+4 to get the euro key...however, i recently had to have the keyboard replaced, and the newer one for some reason has no euro key at all!! seriously annoying!! ...and unexplicable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

ohhhh actually ive just experimented and it's been changed to alt+2, but it's not actually printed on the key....weird

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I'd be pissed off if it did change, because i'm used to the way it is at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

€ is AltGr+4 for me.
    € is AltGr+5; thank you US International.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

€€€.......das ryattt

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 398 ✭✭Benny-c

Folks I've tried them all and still can't get the dammed symbol, I remember when setting up the keyboard earlier this year, I used the default setting for the PC...........regrets:D

Please help:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

copy and paste the symbol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Benny-c wrote:
    Folks I've tried them all and still can't get the dammed symbol, I remember when setting up the keyboard earlier this year, I used the default setting for the PC...........regrets:D

Right click on the taskbar(the blue bit at the bottom of your screen > Toolbars > click on the drop down option of the new area that is on the taskbar > Settings > Add the Irish keyboard setting, and delete the American setup.

I think it comes into effect when you restart.

Why do Irish keyboards still have a pound button? We haven't used punts in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Maybe it is because the euro is such a new currency whereas the dollar and the pound have been around with the original mainstream computer keyboards. Also may have something to do with the fact that it is normally the operating system that tells the computer what symbol is where or it is the drivers or something. Also the keyboard has been around for alot longer than the euro and to add a new key now would be a nuissance.

• Advertisement

Or simply replace the pound button for a euro one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Why do Irish keyboards still have a pound button? We haven't used punts in years.
    What is you don't want to say STG350?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Blisterman wrote:
    ^_^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

All keyboards are set up to use all the symbols. If you know how, you can get symbols that are not on any key on your keyboard. Each key is just a bit of plastic. It is not what is on the key that determines what appears on the screen when you hit it. So, for example, if you took the W and N key off your keyboard and swapped their positions, you'd still get W when you hit the N key that was now in that position and you'd get N when you hit W.

As has been pointed out, it is the software, not the hardware that determines what you get when you hit a key. Each symbol has a code. It is the code that is sent to the computer's memory when you hit a key and it responds by displaying the symbol on your screen.

We use different languages in different countries so different countries have different keyboards, with their symbols on the physical keys. The software then determines that they get that symbol when they hit that key. In France or Germany or Spain or Italy etc. they have different characters in their alphabet than we do, for example ñ in Spain, ë in Germany etc. They have their software set to work for their particular regional settings.

So, how do you get those characters from your keyboard, without changing the software? I don't have a Spanish or German keyboard, but I got the ñ and ë quite simply. Nowadays you can use a Word Processor to get them, like from the Symbol option on the Insert menu in Word. However you can get them other ways.

OK, open Notepad. It will be under Start, Programs and Accessories. Reduce it down a bit so you can still see this post but it is still open. Now, first of all, make sure the Num Lock key is on. It is on the numeric keypad on the right side of your keyboard. Now, hold down the ALT key on the left of your spacebar. While still holding it, on the numeric keypad (not the numbers at the top of the main part of the keyboard) type 137. Then let go of ALT and hey presto you get: ë. Do the same with 164 and you will get ñ. If you do 97 you will get a. 98 will give you b. If you do 65 you will get A. If you do 49 you will get 1. If you do 248 you will get °. Experiment with numbers between 0 and 255. You won't get something with every one of them, but you will do with a lot of them. 32 will just give you a space for example. So as a recap, make sure the NumLock is on, then hold down Alt and on the numeric keypad only, type a number and then take your finger off the Alt key. Notepad is a handy way of demonstrating that to you, but it will work in other applications too, including when you are typing posts. You can easily get a list of all the codes on the Net. Do a search for ASCII Codes and you will find them.

So when a keyboard is set for a different region, different codes are assigned to the keys on your keyboard. If you get the @ when you do Shift and 2 and " when you hit the @ key, it is because, although you have the correct keyboard, your software has been set to use an American one so the code for @ is being sent when you hit Shift and 2 instead of the code for ". Most of the keys are the same on both, but a few are different, so it appears as if only those keys are not working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Flukey wrote:
    All keyboards are set up to use all the symbols. If you know how, you can get symbols that are not on any key on your keyboard. Each key is just a bit of plastic. It is not what is on the key that determines what appears on the screen when you hit it. So, for example, if you took the W and N key off your keyboard and swapped their positions, you'd still get W when you hit the N key that was now in that position and you'd get N when you hit W.
    Meh, talking sense Flukey, that's unfair. It's a conspiracy I say, a conspiracy from those damn dirty Statue of Liberty blower-uppers.

;-^)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I never minded pressing ctrl-shift-4 before, I press Ctrl-Alt-Del enough times anyway :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

Flukey wrote:
    While still holding it, on the numeric keypad (not the numbers at the top of the main part of the keyboard) type 137. Then let go of ALT and hey presto you get: ë. Do the same with 164 and you will get ñ. If you do 97 you will get a. 98 will give you b. If you do 65 you will get A. If you do 49 you will get 1. If you do 248 you will get °. Experiment with numbers between 0 and 255. You won't get something with every one of them, but you will do with a lot of them. 32 will just give you a space for example. So as a recap, make sure the NumLock is on, then hold down Alt and on the numeric keypad only, type a number and then take your finger off the Alt key.

Didnt know that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭Calibos

Been using ALT 0128 for the € ever since I imported an American Saitek Eclipse Keyboard last year. Still us it even on actual Euro keyboards at this stage I am so used to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

€ alt 1028

€ alt gr + 4

€ shift + alt + 4

^_^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

My keyboard is ghey. I can't use the euro symbol despite the fact that the 4 key clearly displays the symbol in question. Whenever I want to use it I'm forced to find it elsewhere and then copy/paste it in. You people think that you have it tough having to press 3 keys at the same time? You have no idea what I have to go through.

I'm pretty sure I know what it is that is causing it, but I am too lazy to fix it. I blame the government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭RandomOne

Also the keyboard has been around for alot longer than the euro and to add a new key now would be a nuissance.

Mine's got one. Next to the arrow keys. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

whassupp2 wrote:
    I use Alt + Ctrl + $

Ctrl + Alt = AltGr

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Anto McC wrote:
    I haven't been able to find my Euro symbol since i sent my PC away to be fixed about 3 months ago,all the suggestions so far still haven't worked,has anyone any other suggestions for me finding the Euro symbol or even an answer as to why it's gone and where it went?
    Benny-c wrote:

grimloch wrote:
    My keyboard is ghey. I can't use the euro symbol despite the fact that the 4 key clearly displays the symbol in question. Whenever I want to use it I'm forced to find it elsewhere and then copy/paste it in. You people think that you have it tough having to press 3 keys at the same time? You have no idea what I have to go through.

I'm pretty sure I know what it is that is causing it, but I am too lazy to fix it. I blame the government.

control panel->regional and language options->languages tab->details->add->select english (ireland) or english (united kingdom)

ta da

also, @grimloch, rather than searching the net for it, click start->all programs->accessories->system tools->character map.

or press ALT+0128 on the num pad

but you wont have to do that anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 2 hodt11

here we are 12 years after this coversation and we still dont have the euro symbol in place of the pound on the irish keyboard. It may not be alot of work pressing 3 keys to get the euro, but thats hardly the point, its not why bother, it why not. And for those above who dont care about having to press the extra keys, fair enough, but who cares what you think, the question was asked how to do it, not vote if you care or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

the Shades wrote: »
    Actually since the switchover to the €, it's been the biggest currency in the business world and is far more imporatant in trade than either the £ or the $, which makes a lot of sense when you consider the amount of people using it every day.

Seems unlikely?

Oil is sold in dollars.

What does the Gr mean in Alt Gr. anyway, and what the hell is a ^ anyway? Whatever it is, it can piss right off you ask me.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

hodt11 wrote: »
    here we are 12 years after this coversation and we still dont have the euro symbol in place of the pound on the irish keyboard. It may not be alot of work pressing 3 keys to get the euro, but thats hardly the point, its not why bother, it why not. And for those above who dont care about having to press the extra keys, fair enough, but who cares what you think, the question was asked how to do it, not vote if you care or not.

12 year old thread, but what was true back then is true now. You don't have to press 3 keys to get the € sign, only 2, same as with $ or £.

grimloch wrote: »

Don't be stupid.

It's Irish Water's fault. First the hosepipe ban and now this...shower of cúnts:mad:

5starpool wrote: »
    12 year old thread, .

So it is :eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

What does the Gr mean in Alt Gr. anyway, and what the hell is a ^ anyway? Whatever it is, it can piss right off you ask me.
    'Alt Gr' literally stands for 'alternate graph' (why didn't you ask what the 'Alt' stood for? :pac: ) The '^' is used on computers for 'to the power of', e.g. 2^4=16. It also point upwards. And I think ^5 meant 'high five'.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

'Alt Gr' literally stands for 'alternate graph' (why didn't you ask what the 'Alt' stood for? :pac: )

Feel ashamed that I never thought about what 'alt' actually stood for.
    My gripe is that stupid symbol to the left of the number 1 on the top of the keyboard - ``

Like I don't know what it's called or what the point of it is, complete waste of a key if you ask me! :p

'Alt Gr' literally stands for 'alternate graph' (why didn't you ask what the 'Alt' stood for? :pac: ) The '^' is used on computers for 'to the power of', e.g. 2^4=16. It also point upwards. And I think ^5 meant 'high five'.

^5 for that:D

Just raises more questions - why is there an "alternate graph", but no "graph" ?

What if I just want a regular graph, none of your graph fluid bullshít. Fúcking millennials - they'll be behind this, you mark my words.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement