Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dial-Up Geographical Numbers

Options
  • 22-07-2006 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭

Anyone know any dial up geographical numbers to get free internet? i was using the DOL numbers but they seem to be closing up..

Incase u dont know what i mean by geographical is 04x or 01, not 189x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

Im looking for the same but cant find any, even a Belfast number would do me as I get free calls North and South.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭chopster

Thought somebody would have replied to this already , anyway i found this after a search here on boards . Use this :

Phone / Host : 021 2360018
    User Name : elive@elivefree.net
    Password : elive

I have tested this and it really is free IF you have free phone calls and can't get connected using the o2 numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

(edit: old Oceanfree list removed)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

If they are still active, a lot of those numbers as they stand won't work. Area codes like 0902, 075, 078, 079 and 050x no longer exist, and a lot of the other area codes have gone to 7 digits (eg 046)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

True - I found another post indicating Oceanfree moved to 1890 923204.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,850 ✭✭✭SeanW

Yes, geographical ISP numbers are essentially obsolete.

Dial-Up ISP numbers aren't "free" they cost the same as a local phone call. The way that works is that the ISP gets a portion of the call cost.
    So if you're on an free calls package and were able to use a geographical number, someone would be losing considerable money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Does anyone know if this will work with mobile phones, as I have been looking for ages for a number that works with mobiles, and have tried a whole host of numbers and ,ISP's with no luck so far in finding one that works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Passport

chopster wrote:
    Thought somebody would have replied to this already , anyway i found this after a search here on boards . Use this :

Phone / Host : 021 2360018
    User Name : elive@elivefree.net
    Password : elive

I have tested this and it really is free IF you have free phone calls and can't get connected using the o2 numbers.

Does that number still work?
    Or does anyone have nay number that does? I want to use 13434's free call service to go online.

Yep , still been using this up until last week , you should have no probs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Excellent. Works a treat

Is it a free number for those that have included calls?

• Advertisement

Yeah since it's a national number it's free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

This thread takes me back to when I was on dial up. Those local access numbers where all important, especially when I was with UTVTalk :D Elive were a Godsend bless 'em, their full POP list: http://www.elive.net/support/numbers_popup.php?sku=%5Bsku%5D What's more their service is quite fast. I used to use this handy little program to remind me when my 60 mins was nearly up: http://www.reallyeffective.co.uk/tick_moreinformation.php#screenshots Works perfectly and keeps a log of time online, per connection.

UTV have a disclaimer:
    It excludes calls to the following: Mobile, Premium Rate Services, Internet numbers, geographic Internet Service Provider Numbers, Directory Enquiries, Timeline, the Operator (including reverse calls), Chargecard, National rate non geographic numbers e.g. 0818, Lo-call rate non-geographic numbers e.g. 1890, Isle of Man and Channel Islands.
    Do UTV enforce this? Do they have a database of these numbers?

They didn't when I was with them, but it could be different now. If you're with UTV and want to try this, create a separate dial-up connection using the Internet Connection Wizard and the Elive local access number nearest you, but don't make it the default. Connect to the internet a few times off-peak, using the Elive connection. Make a note of the time, date and number you've used; if you install the Tick program it'll do this for you. Then when your next bill is issued check the itemised call details on line to see if the number you've used is charged or free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

Oracle wrote:
    This thread takes me back to when I was on dial up. Those local access numbers where all important, especially when I was with UTVTalk :D Elive were a Godsend bless 'em, their full POP list: http://www.elive.net/support/numbers_popup.php?sku=%5Bsku%5D What's more their service is quite fast. I used to use this handy little program to remind me when my 60 mins was nearly up: http://www.reallyeffective.co.uk/tick_moreinformation.php#screenshots Works perfectly and keeps a log of time online, per connection.

Thats brilliant.....

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭muffinhead

Also, for anyone who has free calls to the UK (ie. those on BT Total Talk, etc) there is a UK based ISP www.geoisp.co.uk who offer dial-up via geographic number 0044 20 8114 9845. This might be of use if the elive number doesn't work.

Great tip muffinhead, just one word of warning; using ISP numbers outside Ireland could result in a nastier shock if the phone provider suddenly decides to charge for internet calls :eek: (As can using Irish national numbers) Another tip is to make sure to leave at least 1 minute for modem to connect (negotiation) because calls are charged from the moment you connect to the ISP. (for example, disconnect at 58 mins & then re-connect to ensure you're not charged.) You can set the Tick program to do this for you automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Hi I know I am dragging up an old thread but did any of you who used the elive number check to see if you were charged or not. My broadband is broken and I want to get online but dont want to be charged a huge amount!

Who are you with? UTV have never charged me for the elive numbers. Hint, don't use the same numbers all the time, use a few different ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

I am with BT. I am using it anyway see what happens. Hopefully will have broadband back tomorrow. I have forgotten how slow dial up is

• Advertisement
Advertisement