Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Workplace attire discrimination against men!

• 22-07-2006 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭

Going into work wearing a sticky shirt, a tie choking your neck, a pair of trousers you wouldn't be seen dead in on a Saturday night and expensive uncomfortable shoes is hardly the way you want to be working especially in hot weather.......

so what makes things worse? Going into work seeing your female colleagues wearing casual t-shirts, dresses, skirts, combats, runners while you are dressed as if you're still in school!

I'm wondering is this the way things are in your company? Are women free to wear nearly anything they want or do they have to dress in an ''appropriate manner? It annoys me because I and any other man could be sacked (going by my contract) if I wore in casual clothes yet the women in my place get away with murder! Turn the tables around and this would end up in the court of human rights or some other shite like that!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Its illegal to hold one sex to a higher standard in work then another. You can't even tell a man to cut his hair aslong as there is one woman with long hair.
    Mention to HR if its a big company and I'll guarantee they'll do something very fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

They do say on my contract that ''all staff'' are to dress appropriately wearing blah blah etc. but it's quite clear the rules are bent for the ladies as nothing is ever said.... I only working there for another month so it would be pointless for me to go fighting HR (I don't want to be hated by women afterall!) over dress code but it's certainly an interesting insight into how double standards over dress code still exist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Just go in wearing a tshirt knowing full well they can't do anything to you individually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Sangre wrote:
    Just go in wearing a tshirt knowing full well they can't do anything to you individually.
    Exactly, go in as casually as the women are and if anythings said/done about it then kick up a fuss about sexual discrimination etc.
    They can't be treating the men and women differently afterall :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Toolach

It is far easier for women.

In my office - they dress very casually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

God I'd wear a skirt in this weather if they'd let me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

That's true, my superiors should consider themselves very lucky that I'm even wearing pants in this weather.

At least get rid of the tie though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Crucifix wrote:
    God I'd wear a skirt in this weather if they'd let me.

I imagine if you were wearing a skirt, a discrimination case would be very easy if they took exception.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

pft, just wear better shirts, more comfortable trousers, and nicer shoes.
    Silk shirts and ties all the way.
    Also, comfortable suits are good when its not too hot.

If you did complain, they would just ask the women to wear in more appropriate clothes. Not the other way around. You'd just drag them down with you!

Anyways, who wants all the women in an office wearing boring conservative clothes. Especially during summer >_>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

Its just easier for girls to be more casually appropriately dressed

They can wear a shirt, trousers, skirts etc

All us guys can wear is a Suit, or else trousers and a shirt

At my job we dont hafta wear ties, and Friday is casual day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭alantc

Going into work wearing a sticky shirt, a tie choking your neck, a pair of trousers you wouldn't be seen dead in on a Saturday night and expensive uncomfortable shoes is hardly the way you want to be working especially in hot weather.......

If the tie is choking your neck then you bought a shirt that was too small for you. This shouldn't be happening. The rest of your clothes don't sound 'expensive'. Expensive clothes tend to be comfortable.

Maybe you should tell your employer that it is very warm and that you'd like the air conditioning turned on.

Where I work women get to wear a much larger variety of clothes than men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

it's summer, the weather is warm, live with it

Advertisement