Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which linksys wireless router for use with Smart? Also a few Qs about getting set up.

• 22-07-2006 5:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi, so I've had a good look through threads from the past while but am just unsure of a few things so hope it's cool that I've started a new one.

Anyway, we have recently got Smart but are running 3 laptops off it at once, and so the wires are a pain in the ass, we'd always planned to go wireless and i'd researched it before and was told Linksys were the ones to go with.

I will be buying it from komplett, and they offer 3 choices that I am unsure about:
    I'm pretty sure the bottom of those is the one I want to go with, but just want to see what the difference with the first one is and what the "speedbooster technology" is.

Also, I am aware of a process of having to upgrade the firmware on the Aolnyk wireless router, I will have to do it. Is it then essential to set it up as a bridging device if I want to set up wireless.

And my final question is a simple enough one, what is the sort of distance people are getting ont he wireless. I'm thinking at times it may have to go through 2 concrete block walls, can we still expect a good signal?

Thanks guys, much appeciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Your choice is correct. The difference between it and middle one is that the middle one has a propreity speed boost function (i.e. faster than 54mbps). But this will only work if all machines are equipped with linksys speedbooster cards as well. As this is unlikely to be the case it's pointless spending extra money for something u can't/won't use. First one won't be suited for ur setup as it is an access point and not a router.

Simplest setup involves placing smart modem into bridge mode, and then allowing linksys router to manage the PPPoE settings, dhcp, etc.

I have WRT54G at front of house upstairs and it provides enough signal to reach patio at back of garden. House is semi-d constructed in 40's so has concrete walls etc. Hope that helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭wheatln2

irlrobins wrote:
    Your choice is correct. The difference between it and middle one is that the middle one has a propreity speed boost function (i.e. faster than 54mbps). But this will only work if all machines are equipped with linksys speedbooster cards as well. As this is unlikely to be the case it's pointless spending extra money for something u can't/won't use. First one won't be suited for ur setup as it is an access point and not a router.

Simplest setup involves placing smart modem into bridge mode, and then allowing linksys router to manage the PPPoE settings, dhcp, etc.

I have WRT54G at front of house upstairs and it provides enough signal to reach patio at back of garden. House is semi-d constructed in 40's so has concrete walls etc. Hope that helps!

Great, will get the WRT54G today so. Thanks for the response, hopefully it will arrive pretty quickly and I can start getting to grips with it.

Advertisement