Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

POA? / First Car

Options
  • 22-07-2006 6:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi,

Okay I've been on a few car selling websites and I keep seeing POA under price for some cars. What does it mean?

I've been driving for 3 years but on my parents cars...I want to buy a car for under €2000 (can be flexible for a good car) and be 1.4litre or under...any advice for cars that are not FIATS and are decent.

Cheers, david

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 x w62CE t4<D@C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Indeed, one the mysteries of (Irish) car selling the the reluctance to "name your fecking price"! Every car on display should have a notional price tag.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

POS = Price On Application, i.e. ring for a price.

I never do, if they're not going to be straight about the price, I'm not going to deal with them.

Exactly, I also will never ring if the milage or power of car is not listed, it's the sign of someone who hasn't got a clue about one end of a car from the other or has something to hide and is best avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Tipsy Mac wrote:
    Exactly, I also will never ring if the milage or power of car is not listed, it's the sign of someone who hasn't got a clue about one end of a car from the other or has something to hide and is best avoided.

Not neccessarily the sellers fault,buy and sell have a habit of leaving bits out or putting in wrong details of adds

A reason why some people post poa on message boards is to stop fools clogging a thread with "thats not worth the money"

BuyandSell.net often drops the ball its true. That does'nt excuse garage forecourts though.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd imagine they have the car with a certain price in the window, and someone actually rings up especialy about the car is obviously interested, so the price increases accordingly. I can't stand P.O.A - it's like pubs that don't display their prices

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Tipsy Mac wrote:
    Exactly, I also will never ring if the milage or power of car is not listed,

Or even worse - "low milage/average milage/high milage" WTF?

Why not just state the mileage!

I keep seeing POA under price for some cars

At least there is probably a telephone number. Occasionally you see car adverts in provincial newspapers with "Apply to PO Box etc." Who is going to bother writing a letter and presumably wait for a reply about a car??

One memorable advert (from Derry People/Donegal News):

"Small navy car for sale. Apply Box No. XXXX" :D

I've seen worse than that, recently in Waterford Today was an ad with no contact details at all.

Mike.

colm_mcm wrote:
    I can't stand P.O.A - it's like pubs that don't display their prices

Poor comparison colm - pubs are legally obliged to display their prices. A car seller is not.

I've seen worse than that, recently in Waterford Today was an ad with no contact details at all.

Misprint?

The terrible VW radio ad from 2 years ago springs to mind

"Polo for sale, Phone Mick Lafferty, Howsa goin there Mammy!"

Sometimes Irish distributors' ads baffle me, the brand produces a clever marketing campaign across europe, promoting VW as a premium product. Leave it to the Irish agency and they present the Polo as a car that's driven by boggers

Re: pubs not displaying prices, It's always the pubs that rip people off that don't display prices, so I reckon comparison is fair!

• Advertisement

On the legal aspect, why should'nt it be law for all goods for sale to be clearly priced? Maybe thats worth a letter to Minsiter For Trade (whoever that is).

Mike.

That sounds like overkill !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

POA is one thing, false advertising is another altogether.

E/W, R/C/L when the photos clearly show its a bog standard Starlet that never even had thew option of either

ninty9er wrote:
    POA is one thing, false advertising is another altogether.

E/W, R/C/L when the photos clearly show its a bog standard Starlet that never even had thew option of either

Some sellers use 'library' photographs but they should state that.

Some sellers use 'library' photographs but they should state that.

I'm just on about things like these where winders are clearly visible (e/w and alloys being particularly prevalent)

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=392304

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=410980

I may be mistaken but they don't look like alloys
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=323249

Not a C180
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=357063

Advertisement