Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Studying Up North - Buying New Car

Options
  • 22-07-2006 7:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

I am going to study at Queens in Belfast in September. Does anyone know if I am allowed to buy a new car and registered it to my temporary address . I presume if it looked to much like a college address I could get a street address mailbox.

Is there any documentation I need to register a new car and pay for UK motortax . Also will it be possible to insure via a UK insure with an Irish Drivers License.

As it would be my first brand new car what documentation would a dealer require when I buy it from new for registration do I just show him my passport/driver license and tell him my address or do I need to bring a utility bill etc??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,408 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I am going to study at Queens in Belfast in September. Does anyone know if I am allowed to buy a new car and registered it to my temporary address

Absolutely
    Also will it be possible to insure via a UK insure with an Irish Drivers License

I presume your Irish driving license is a full license? If so, all EU licenses are equal, so the answer is yes
    As it would be my first brand new car what documentation would a dealer require when I buy it from new for registration do I just show him my passport/driver license and tell him my address or do I need to bring a utility bill etc??

Just your address afaik

More good news: if you buy a new car in the UK and later move back to Ireland, you can put the car on Irish plates for free (no VRT payable). New cars are a lot cheaper over there, so you can save a lot of money buying, and second hand prices over here are higher, so you'll get more back for your car if you sell it over here. Double whammy :D

There are terms and conditions. You must have lived in the UK for at least 6 months after buying the car. You need to prove that you lived there. You cannot sell the car for the first 12 months after putting it on Irish plates

Let us know how you're getting on

Advertisement