Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback on logo for Romance.ie

Options
  • 22-07-2006 7:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭

Talented webmasters, developers, programmers, and critics of boards.ie, could you please give me your feedback on our new logo at www.romance.ie dont be afraid to say its dogpoo, any chances you think should be made to it or any ideas are greatly apprecitated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Hmm why not go cheesy have some of the letter kissing, holding hands, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

I like it.
    Clean font and the reflection is well done
    It's slightly pixelated and a bit rough on the curves of the heart.
    Is it wise to use a black heart? Well, half a black heart at least. What about a green instead of black to indicate Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

Thanks Rollo, thats what I was thinking
    Ph3n0m wrote:
    Hmm why not go cheesy have some of the letter kissing, holding hands, etc?

A good idea, take a look at the samples below that I have a choice of using tell me what you think. It was a toss up between 2 and 7 in my eyes

numbered.gif

i quite like the boy/girl symbol (whatever it's called) idea on 7 but i think it would look too plain as a logo on it's own. Maybe as a favico or a footer image?

Actually no....the heart would be easier to recoginise as a favico imo...

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I think it's the incorrect approach for a dating site, looks somehow too formal, too blacktie. It's suggestive of a nice box of chocolates or a restaurant; which in itself is a pretty handy image to have for gifts, restaurant listings, etc, but poor for dating.

I'd be going a bit more "web 2.0" with a dating site; bubbly (but not gaudy), simplified (but not amatuerish).

I'd work with what you have going with a .ie, the Irish image. We're lacking in a country specific (Irish) modern site.

This is, of course, dependant on what you wish to convey with your look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

CuLT wrote:
    I think it's the incorrect approach for a dating site, looks somehow too formal, too blacktie.
    Exactly my thoughts. I was honestly expecting to see a black bow tie tied onto the heart.

Even just the swish effect on the heart as tom-the-box shows on heart 1, 5 and 3 is a more friendly logo.

Why black and red? The colours don't seem to fit, well, the red does but not with the black.

Hey, how about a wee butterfly with heart shaped wings?!

cult and gordon are right too a certain extent about the logo. The domain name romance.ie would seem to indicate a swinger type approch to dating while your logo is more geared at mating.

(yes!, it even rhymes)

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Macers

Personally I think its too blacktie. Doesn't have to be a heart - maybe a couple or even a rose?

Just my 2 cents...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 themire

On first glance it brought cards to my mind. Hearts, spades and what-not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

BTW, the page's background-color is not set to white.
    I set the window background colour to grey in Windows so I see grey backgrounds in the browser when it's not specified in the html/css.

Aside: last week I was looking into Irish VoIP providors - *every* one of them had this issue :eek: . I reported it to each of them (with a screenshot) and *not one* of them has fixed this trivial issue :rolleyes: . I'm sure that the W3C CSS Validator would report the issue if they checked. One provider said that it must be a browser issue and that I should use Firefox (which I am using). /rant.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I really like it, very clean, simple and effective. Try the Font of number 2, but use the Heart of number 5

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Its a nice clean design but too formal like mentioned above. Also, is reflecting "romance.ie" a good idea because it goes behind your slogan making the slogan look like it is covering something that should be read- if this makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I think you should keep the "slogan goes here yeah" bit... it makes the site seem so care-free :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

A free dating site will open up to all sorts of spam.

Even a small registration fee would curtail the muppet factor.

Personally i think the logo's look like a poker site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

zabbo wrote:
    Personally i think the logo's look like a poker site
    Actually yeah, I was going to say that aswell... the whole red/black thing, and the heart looks like an upside-down spade. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Black & red are a bit agressive, TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

Irish Anarchist dating service?

Hey folks

Thanks for all the feedback, and there are some super ideas, its a great help its hard when your not a designer to know what to go for.

Cheers

Tom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Tom you are looking for romance in all the wrong places ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

I like the slogan at the bottom of the site:

Romance.ie Ireland's Free Dating Site - "You cant buy love"

Maybe, if you have enough money... :D

Best of luck anyhow!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭lifegamer

Black and red don't imo go too well together. Black often symbolises dark, bad, negative things. A black heart? Doesn't sound good!

The font is nice, professional and clean. You could also get a devil and angel along the word romance??

Best of luck with the site

Tom you are looking for romance in all the wrong places ;)

hehe :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 KTdesigner

I'd go with option 5, but make the heart all red (or pink) and use the "Century Gothic" font for the second line of text (under "romance"). Good work.

Note: The black and red heart seems to remind me of playing cards for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

kinda surprised they didn't do the old cliche....
    logoew4.gif

Advertisement