Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Villa - Ellis Out - O'Neill in????

• 22-07-2006 8:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭

Well the rumour mill around Villa park has it that AVIL, a consortium headed by Michael Neville has made an offer to buy Aston Villa at the price tag Ellis wants (£64 million) but even more interesting is the news that Martin O'Neill will become manager if AVIL are successful.

All the bookies have now made O'Neill favourite to succeed O'Leary!:eek: :D

Watch this space people Aston Villa could be on the brink of huge change.

Up the Villa

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Not a Villa fan but yiz have to get rid of this old man with his dated values. Ellis has fooked yiz up over that last few years but uses his managers as scapegoats of his own failures.

I'm assuming that that Neville chap is the Irish builder fella who wants to take over with his brother. Best of luck to yiz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Getting rid of deadly Doug can only be a good thing; however, I’d be very surprised if a quality manager like o'neil went to a club in such chaos. I stand to be proved wrong, but this sound like rumour mill stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

No Neville is an English business man who is a life long Villa fan, his previous consortium included the Comer brothers from Galway but I don't believe they are involved anymore.

Looks the rumour mill might have some truth: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/aston_villa/5207620.stm

Looks like we might have another bidder in Billionaire Randy Lerner, who owns the NFL club Cleveland Browns, he is believed to be preparing to enter the race to buy Aston Villa.

Looks more likely that Ellis will finally leave.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Why wouldent O'Neil want the job? a club seen already as a shambles (im a villa fan) but realistic a very big club, the biggest in englands 2nd city and one that would immediatley have capabilities in the transfer market after a takeover, it would a job O'Neil could only look a secess at.

I obviously also think if this happened it would be great for Villa, but O'Neil also it would be regaining the reails of club management which would convieniently be in england a short term probable higer profile emulation of his leicester support before maybe the always ruoued fergie replacement opens up or maybe the ireland job. He would also be this chairmans first manager, a chairman who would automaically feel like he needs to improve things at villa as its becoming evident deadly doug left a few scars from his latter years.

its what us villa fans have been waiting for, for years maybe noww it will materialise and O'Neil can decide to be our saviour or maybe Doug has some life in him yet, who knows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

No matter who the consortium are and how much money they have, I think it's being highly optimistic to think that O'Neill is going to take this job. There seem to be only a handful of jobs that he would take at the moment, and I wouldn't imagine a club that has no European football to look forward to next season is one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

Greetings. Life-long Villa fan here.

I dunno about this Neville guy to be honest. He seems to be a bit of a dreamer. This is the second such consortium bid he's put together with different backers. All his statements are a bit wishy-washy and unprofessional, and when Ellis asked him to provide proof of his backers funding for new players during his previous bid, he couldn't. I'd be wary of the property sharks he's backed by who might only be interested in the vast amounts of land the club own. If planning permission for residential properties is passed on the land, it would almost double the value of the clubs assets, so the club is an attractive option for property developers and the like e.g. the Comer Brothers. I know Neville is a Villa fan, but I'd be worried about his backers having the clubs best intentions at heart. That's worrying.

The only good thing about the Neville bid is that he's been very public about it, again a bit unprofessional, but he's forced the hand of other potential bidders. Word in Birmingham is that 3 bids have now been lodged, or are in the process of being lodged - with Rothchilds, the firm appointed by Ellis to find new owners for the club. One is English based - The Neville bid, but another is supposed to be from some American tycoon guy. It's an outright Abrahmovic-type bid too, none of this consortium or Glazier finance nonsense. There's no details on the third bidder as yet, who is/are believed to be from 'abroad'. But at least things are happening, and happening fast on that front....

With regards to O'Neill, I think it looks very, VERY promising indeed - with or without Ellis in charge. O'Neill lives in Buckinghamshire, about 40 miles south of Birmingham. The reason he declined the Boro and Newcastle jobs was purely geographical. His wife's family all live in the same area, so uprooting her is simply not an option for the man. Villa are the biggest club in that midlands area, and we're practically on his doorstep, so he couldn't really ask for a better location. Ellis returns from holiday today, and is believed to be meeting O'Neill this evening. Also, it could be an Ellis condition of any eventual sale/takeover that O'Neill be left in charge, so that shouldn't be a concern for O'Neill himself. Even if a takeover takes another 6 months, O'Neill will know there's a few bob for players in the pipeline...

I do feel sorry for O'Leary and the way he left the club, but him going has triggered a lot of activity in and around the club, the possible benefits of which are very exciting indeed.

Well Bateman we'll have to wait and see but all the information available to me at the moment suggests O'Neill is most likely going to be the next Villa manger. Only time will tell but if it does happen you heard it here first.

wynters wrote:

I do feel sorry for O'Leary and the way he left the club, but him going has triggered a lot of activity in and around the club, the possible benefits of which are very exciting indeed.

i have to agree with that i still rate O'Leary as a decent manager and another future irish boss. i think he got the job at the wrong time honestly, he would be good to come into a situation like the one he has seen created at villa IMO. He has probably seen the end of the doug ellis era, which although good imo, im sure he would have preferred that to have maybe come 2 years ago.

btw do hany of you have a link to a source on the news of the other pos takeover bids?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

O'Neill must be the most linked man to managerial vacancys ever

• Advertisement

I don't think European football would be an issue at the moment Bateman. The top 4 managerial jobs in the Premiership are all sewn up for the forseeable future. Spurs too, and O'Neill has already declined the Newcastle job for aformentioned reasons. The England job is gone, and he's left Celtic so how many other jobs worth taking are there??? If he is eager to get back into football, he's running out of options.

Villa are a big enough club to be top 4 or 5 certainly. Villa Park is bigger than Highbury, and Arsenal have sustained a position at the top of the league for the last 20-odd years based on good management alone. Success breeds success, so if O'Neill were to get a decent transfer fund from new owwers, he could certainly build something over a few years. We're a big club, with a big stadium, in a massive catchment area. On paper, it's not too bad at all.

Ellis is still the biggest obstacle though. His handling of this situation is crucial, and he's too uppredictable to have much faith in....

i have to agree with that i still rate O'Leary as a decent manager and another future irish boss. i think he got the job at the wrong time honestly, he would be good to come into a situation like the one he has seen created at villa IMO. He has probably seen the end of the doug ellis era, which although good imo, im sure he would have preferred that to have maybe come 2 years ago.

btw do hany of you have a link to a source on the news of the other pos takeover bids?
    http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,1765_1359890,00.html

and

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2006/07/24/story269180.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

wynters wrote:
    There's no details on the third bidder as yet, who is/are believed to be from 'abroad'. But at least things are happening, and happening fast on that front....

It wouldnt be a saudi arabian prince , looking to put Sven Goran Erikkson in charge, would it ? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

I think it is a Sauda Arabian prince but hear he has Nancy in mind instead ;}

Update from Breakingnews.ie:
    Ellis opens Villa takeover talks with Lerner
    25/07/2006 - 14:19:28

Aston Villa chairman Doug Ellis has held initial discussions with American billionaire Randy Lerner over a possible takeover of the club.

Ellis is flying back to Birmingham after his holiday in Spain to continue negotiations with Lerner, owner of NFL club Cleveland Browns.

Lerner is understood to have already run the rule over Villa Park and the club’s training ground complex at Bodymoor Heath.

The 44-year-old is believed to be ready to meet major shareholder Ellis’s selling price of around £57m (€83.45m).

A second consortium, led by life-long Villa fan Michael Neville, is also vying to take control and also remain confident of matching the asking price.

Solihull businessman Neville is optimistic new backers will be in place sooner rather than later.

Villa are remaining tight-lipped and would only say: “We have nothing to say about renewed speculation over the future of Aston Villa.”

Villa are getting Randy or should that be Randy is getting Villa:
    http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=405696&CPID=8&clid=7&lid=4161&title=Lerner+set+to+make+Villa+bid

Up the Villa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Another official bid for the Villa, looks like it could be bye bye Deadly Doug

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/aston_villa/5207620.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

does sound a strong possability as ellis's selling price has been quoted at 57million and both current bids are supposidly 60+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Tbh I cant see a scenario brewing where ellis will still be at the club come the start of the season.

The only question is who will it be, will it be the consortium headed by the life long fan Mr Neville, or will it be the Footie mad american billionaire Randy Lerner.

I'm not sure which i'd favour, I think there is little doubt that if Randy Lerner got control there would be a lot more money pumped into the club as I believe it has already been said about him that he definately will not do a Glazier on it, although a life long villa fan in charge of proceedings does sound promising I think the question is how much money will his consortium have to invest in rebuilding our desheveled squad?
    He seems to have had enough problems getting the money together to make the bid in the first place.

Alas I feel that either one of these two men will do a better job then Deadly Doug.

So long douglus, you shall not be missed. (any chance of renaming the doug ellis stand to something else? :p )

• Advertisement

Looks like Lerner walked out on the deal coz good auld Deadly Doug told him when he bought the club he would still have to answer to him, well done Doug.

AVIL are still in the running and it seems Martin O'Neill has agreed to join if it goes through!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭observer

irish1 wrote:
    Looks like Lerner walked out on the deal coz good auld Deadly Doug told him when he bought the club he would still have to answer to him, well done Doug.

AVIL are still in the running and it seems Martin O'Neill has agreed to join if it goes through!

source??? on neill?

bbc says it will be sven! i'd rather deadly doug!

AVIL is one bidder who are meant to have O'Neill lined up, Sven agents is another bidder but no-one knows who they have lined up for a manager.

i do not want Sven, despite the fact maybe hed attract some players but that isnt going to happen Sven has become a punchline in England, he more so than Cristiano Ronaldo or David Beckham has been made a scapegoat in England, they even let Ian wright host the friday night project and turned the whole show into a Sven punchline. i know the Engliash press always turn on the manager but they never got behind Sven to start with and he didnt help himself at all withh scandal after scandal.

Deadly doug may be tight with his money and harsh on his managers but he is smarter than for his beloved Villa having anything to do with him.

Neville made public(as he has/will do with everything conceerning his bid) that he would keepDoug Ellis about in some capacity, Lerner has not however BBC reported that there is belief that talks could resume with Lerner whom Ellis would seemingly preferto work with if possible, this is because of his financial backing a supposed 1.4billion.

Yet again Ellis looks like he might cost us, looks like O'Neill might be getting p1$$ed off by the Lerner snub ...
    Aston Villa appear to have missed out on the chance to have Martin O'Neill in place as manager before the start of the season after it emerged that the American billionaire Randy Lerner had agreed to appoint the Irishman before his takeover talks with the chairman Doug Ellis broke down. Michael Neville's consortium has made a similar promise although Lerner, with his considerable financial muscle, would have been in position to complete a deal much quicker, accelerating any arrival of O'Neill.

Article continues
    It is understood that the former Celtic and Leicester manager is reluctant to take over at Villa as long as Ellis remains in control and sources close to Lerner claim that O'Neill reacted with dismay when he was told the American had pulled out. The 44-year-old investment banker entered talks with Ellis on Wednesday with the firm intention of making an offer subject to due diligence. Indeed his financial advisers were so sure of progress that an announcement was prepared.

Not for the first time, however, it appears Ellis proved awkward to negotiate with and Lerner, apparently exasperated by the Villa chairman's approach, called time on the discussions and headed back to the US. Villa remain hopeful of resurrecting talks, although it is highly unlikely that Lerner will return for another face-to-face meeting. He departed apparently feeling that Ellis was putting barriers in the way of what he felt should have been a routine deal.

Lerner's team will wait to hear from Villa before deciding whether to rekindle interest. However, any proposal put to Lerner would now require "solid proof" from Villa that a deal can be struck without any of the obstacles which prompted him to leave the negotiating table. Ellis is said by the sources to have moved the goalposts on several occasions during the meeting, including haggling over an asking price that had previously been agreed.

Lerner had no intention of becoming part of an auction, particularly one that did not include any parties able to match his funding levels. He had planned to make a straightforward cash bid. It is understood the Villa chairman made clear to the American he wants to retain a role at the club, something Neville has already promised Ellis. Lerner, however, had a different vision and saw no reason why a man he would replace should stay on. Villa were not commenting yesterday.

News of Lerner pulling out prompted a furious reaction from Villa supporters. A statement from Aston Villa Shareholders' Association and Villa Fans Combined, said: "The never-ending saga of Mr Ellis seems to know no bounds. Unless groups interested are willing to bow and scrape to our so called 'Mr Aston Villa' - no matter how much money they have got or how good they would be for the club - they will have no chance of wresting power away from Mr Ellis."

Neville, though, remains hopeful that he can seize power and expects to meet Ellis within 24 hours to discuss the offer he submitted through the financial adviser Rothschild on Wednesday. He believes the developments regarding Lerner will have little impact on his own chances. "If Mr Lerner has withdrawn his bid, then I am not sure whether it helps or hinders us," said Neville. "Our bid is either competitive and attractive in its own right or it's not."

Neville is likely to face competition from another consortium led by Sven-Goran Eriksson's agent Athole Still, who was caught on camera leaving Villa Park on Wednesday. Still refused to reveal any details about the consortium he is heading but it is believed his plans have been three months in the making. "I cannot deny that I was at Aston Villa," said Still. "[But] as a result of an absolute agreement with Aston Villa there is a total confidentiality about what I was discussing."

The prospect of Still assuming control has fuelled speculation that Eriksson might take over at the club he expressed an interest in managing when he was caught by a tabloid sting this year. Moves to find the former England manager employment are already under way. "I do not want to say which clubs have shown an interest," said Lars Sternmarker, Eriksson's financial adviser, "but Sven is still open to everything, national teams and clubs." Sternmarker will meet Still today to "discuss the football side".

Source: Guardian

Ok so to update people here, Lerner is back in and is set to lodge an official bid in the next 3 days.

It also very likely that Martin O'Neill will be confirmed as manager within the next 48 hours.

Remember you heard it here first, Ellis out O'Neill in

Another Update:
    From Aston Villa's OS:
    Operations Director Steve Stride has dismissed growing speculation that Villa will appoint a successor to David O'Leary later today.

Stride also played down reports linking striker Kevin Phillips with a return to former club Sunderland.

Media reports have suggested former Celtic boss Martin O'Neill will be named as the new manager today.

But Stride told [url]www.avfc.co.uk:[/url] "Contrary to rumours circulating today, there is no announcement planned concerning the appointment of a new manager.

"The situation remains ongoing and we will inform fans as and when it is possible to do so. But speculation concerning an announcement today is extremely premature."

Regarding the Phillips story, he added: "The situation regarding players is quite simple. No decision can be made until the appointment of a new manager."

So Perhaps we will have to wait another while for Martin O'Neill

All the main British media are now reporting that the arrival of Martin O'Neill at Villa park is imminent including Sky and BBC.

I can't wait to see the faces of my mates when this becomes official, when I told them O'Neill would be the next Villa manager last weekend they laughed at me.

Up the Villa

if O'Neil is coming in surely that ould be an indication doug has signalled he is goin to sell up. o'neil did not want to take the job with doug in charge.

if lerner takes over were goin to have to starta villa transfer rumours thread.

• Advertisement

Well tbh its just speculation that O'Neill said he wouldn't take the job with Ellis in charge althought its probably true.

As for signings, I'd reckon it will be January before we go on a spending spree, I'd be happy to hold on to Mellberg, Barry and Baros all of whom have been linked with moves.

we cant afford to sell as not a single player has come in not even a milner replacement

Hey guys,
    saw on sky sports news today that there is another group of americans involved who are seperate from Mr Lerner, they took a tour around the training grounds and were brought to and from in Doug Ellis's Jag, (the one with the AV1) licence plate....

The plot thickens....

No-one knows who the 3 men were they could be associates of Lerner.

Expect a lot of news on Villa in the next 3 days, we are about to have take off and with Ellis involved its bound to be a bumpy ride!

It's looking very, VERY good. I've family in Birmingham, and they're extremely reliable with the Villa info. Apparently it's just a matter of dotting the t's and crossing the i's. Might take until next week I'm hearing, and another 2 weeks or so for an official takeover due to normal stock exchange rules, but it's all agreed in principle.

Prepare yourselves for a happy day men.

We've put up with years of being laughed at. No more I tell you!

We're back!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭observer

i'm a big villa fan and am on tenderhooks on the possible take-over. lerner sounds the best option as he has cash to splash!

obviously i'm checking BBC every 5 mins to see if o neill has taken the job.

question i now think is that IF he takes it (i'm tryin not to curse it) how good would villa do this season? how good will villa do in 2 seasons?

how is martin o neill at buying and selling! probably a genius! GOD i can't wait!!!!!

• Advertisement

Well it looks like O'Neill didn't like those press leaks and things could be drawn out another bit yet. O'Neill bought 6 players in his first as Celtic manager including Thompson from Villa and that was with limited money. One consortium AV06 led by the lawyer Padfield has stated they will give 50 million for transfers it their bid suceeds, 30 million now and another 20 in January.

Lerner looks to be Rotchilds preferred buyer I think thats why Neville's AVIL group wants to join up with AV06 because neither of their bids can match Lerners on their own.

This is going to run a little yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

O'Neill to be announced tomorrow it seems. :eek: :D

Half way there.

The revolution begins, Aston Villa will today take their first big step towards becoming a major football force in English football by unveiling Martin O'Neill as manager.

This is will be closely followed in the comming weeks by a new owner, or maybe even sooner as Lerners Jet is due to land in Birmingham today!.

Up the Villa

Part 1 completes at 18:30!!!!

I bloody told ya so 2 weels ago!!!!!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

It can only work if Ellis goes - which seems likely, man it must've been a drag to have been a Villa fan the past few years...glad to see O'Neill back, he'll turn them around

• Advertisement

So now that we have a top class manager, and it looks like we are going to have some money to spend on bolstering the squad as long as Mr Ellis leaves (which should be within the next two weeks) What players would you like to see pulling on the Claret and Blue jersey of Villa, and no stupid ones like ronaldinho and rooney!

I think we all know that the whole squad is in need of a big overhaul, but I would definately like a nice attacking midfielder, a creative player who has the potential to score some goals and who is dangerous from outside the box. Now I know Stevey G is out of the question, but Tim Cahill from Everton is a possibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I can see Villa going for Petrov now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I don't think they'll sign many class players, it'll probably be a slog of a season, with O'Neill trying to turn Villa Park into a fortress and the Villa team into one that are hard to beat, like he did at Leicester and Celtic.

Delighted about Mon probably our most important signing since McGrath. Think we should firstly look for a decent play maker prob Petrov and i decent right winger possibly Steed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

I can see Villa going for Petrov now.

probably Bobo Balde too..

and maybe Chris Sutton - hes a free player at the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

im a villa fan and im not too happy about o'neill

hes a chronically overrated manager who has always proven to be afraid of top jobs, he always goes for the handy ones where chances of being called a success are higher than being called a failure

when he took over at leicester they already had a fairly decent squad. a couple of mickey mouse cup wins later and a few top half finishes and hes being called one of the best managers in britain which was rediculous

then off to celtic, a team in a then 2 horse league, where the other horse was nearing its last legs. a few more mickey mouse wins and hes one of the best managers in europe, all the while shying away from interest from the bigger teams. yeh he got a few good results in europe, but so did ron atkinson. ive always said it was celtics confidence carried through from walking every match domestically that gave them the extra 40% to beat the likes of juve and perform well in europe, every semi decent european result just gave them more belief. so in that respect they did alright, but that wasnt really down to anything other that just starting out in europe for a couple of seasons on the right foot.

so he got them to a uefa cup final? steve mcclaren got middlesbrough to one, doesnt mean hes a great manager

so now on to villa, once again shying away from a big job where he could actually prove himself, shock horror. the only way o'neill could fail at villa would be to get us relegated, which wont happen, because the chances of the same crippling injury list as last year are fairly slim, add the fan troubles, power stuggles, and behind the scenes disasters of last year, and o'neill is already starting off with a far brighter outlook than o'leary had

what worries me most, is that with a takeover imminent, and money being made available to spend.... is that o'neill has no real track record of bringing in anything other than distinctly average players and managing to get them playing like slightly above average players

thats hardly the type of ambition we should be showing

id love to be proven wrong, but i think this is the job where we'll all see martin o'neill is not half the manager most people think he is

Helix, Aston Villa is a poisoned chalice at the moment there is very few top managers that would want the job, Martin O'Neill imo is the very best of what is available, he will get the bst out of the current squad and bring in some sensible buys I'm sure.

I agree with Irish1, I think Villa are extremely fortunate to have O'Neill as our manager. In fairness what managers would uproot their families and lives to take over at Villa Park? Even Curbs turned us down, and he managed Charlton!! :D

I think Martin will inspire confidence throughout the squad which is a great thing, and he does have a big reputation in football so may be the sway that could see some big name players coming to villa park, fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Helix wrote:
    im a villa fan and im not too happy about o'neill

I'm not a villa fan, but you should be happy about him especially considering his predecessors O'Leary, Taylor, Gregory, Little etc
    Helix wrote:
    hes a chronically overrated manager who has always proven to be afraid of top jobs, he always goes for the handy ones where chances of being called a success are higher than being called a failure

So going to Celtic after the mess created by Dalglish/Barnes etc was a handy job to fall in to eh?. There would have been no damage to his career if he'd failed up there?? The post celtic managerial careers of Liam Brady and John Barnes might beg to differ. And these top jobs you speak of, well Ferguson has been there for 20 years, Wenger for about 10, and there was no word of him being offered the job at Liverpool or Chelsea when Benitez and Mourinho took over. So in effect the "top jobs" which MIGHT have been offered were at a Ridsdale run leeds, or a Fat Freddy run Newcastle. I think history might prove him to have an uncanny level of wisdom with respect to them.
    Helix wrote:
    when he took over at leicester they already had a fairly decent squad. a couple of mickey mouse cup wins later and a few top half finishes and hes being called one of the best managers in britain which was rediculous

Sorry, Leicester had a crap squad and a crap stadium. He managed to make the best of what they'd got, and make a lot of top teams envious of the likes of Elliot, Izzet and Heskey. Once he left they looked half the players they had been. Any coach that can make Heskey look good must be onto something. And if mickey mouse cups are so immaterial its funny how supposed better teams failed to win them despite giving their best. Look at how the ManYoo players celebrated this year after the winning the same mickey mouse cup. And you speak of these top half finishes as if they're easy peasy. Again, look at some of the teams that ended up in the bottom half of the league last year. Look at how much money some of them spent.

Helix wrote:
    then off to celtic, a team in a then 2 horse league, where the other horse was nearing its last legs. a few more mickey mouse wins and hes one of the best managers in europe, all the while shying away from interest from the bigger teams. yeh he got a few good results in europe, but so did ron atkinson. ive always said it was celtics confidence carried through from walking every match domestically that gave them the extra 40% to beat the likes of juve and perform well in europe, every semi decent european result just gave them more belief. so in that respect they did alright, but that wasnt really down to anything other that just starting out in europe for a couple of seasons on the right foot.

Again, these top clubs you speak of, who are they?. How do we know he was definetly offered the job, and what sort of manager just drops the job he's in whenever a higher paid job is offered. When players do this they're labelled mercenaries. You don't get offered big jobs unless the club is in real trouble, so why should he have just dropped everything he'd worked hard for in glasgow for some moneybags team in trouble. And you think its easier in europe for them because they play in a crap league with not much competition??. Funny none of the other scottish teams seem to be benefitting from this huge upsurge in confidence. Celtic certainly didn't last year when they got knocked out by them powerhouses of european football Artmedia. Remember back to when the beat Liverpool in the UEFA cup, despite Liverpool having much the better players. We all pretty much know, that if they'd swapped managers the result would have been completely different. And you mention them beating Juventus like as if it was a stroll in the park. Look at the difference in finance of the two clubs for god sake.
    Helix wrote:
    so he got them to a uefa cup final? steve mcclaren got middlesbrough to one, doesnt mean hes a great manager

McClaren did have the help of a sugardaddy Steve Gibson which meant he could buy the players he needed. O'Neill had penny pinching Dermot Desmond for company.
    Helix wrote:
    so now on to villa, once again shying away from a big job where he could actually prove himself, shock horror. the only way o'neill could fail at villa would be to get us relegated, which wont happen, because the chances of the same crippling injury list as last year are fairly slim, add the fan troubles, power stuggles, and behind the scenes disasters of last year, and o'neill is already starting off with a far brighter outlook than o'leary had

Again, more of these top jobs he has supposedly been offered. All we've heard this summer is that he turned down Middlesboro. He lives near Birmingham and so can do the job and help his wife recovering from cancer. Doing the same with Boro would prove a lot more difficult. And he can fail at Villa just as easily as O'Leary, Taylor, Gregory, Little etc. He has a higher reputation going into the job and so fans will have higher expectations. If these expectations aren't fulfilled they'll let him know about it.
    Helix wrote:
    what worries me most, is that with a takeover imminent, and money being made available to spend.... is that o'neill has no real track record of bringing in anything other than distinctly average players and managing to get them playing like slightly above average players

thats hardly the type of ambition we should be showing

id love to be proven wrong, but i think this is the job where we'll all see martin o'neill is not half the manager most people think he is

And how many managers have proven track records of winning trophys in major leagues AND would have anything to do with Villa at the moment. The reason he didn't get the job at Liverpool or Chelsea other than them having the successors long lined up beforehand is that he'd didn't have the experience of spending lots of money and dealing with really top class players. Its not easy get a job like that and if the last 20 years are anything to go by he won't get the experience at villa either. So yes he has something to prove at Villa, but he stands at a far higher level coming into the job than his predecessors. With his record, he should more easily gain the respect of the players as well.

I'm not saying they'll win loads over the next few years with him in charge, but they'll do a lot better than they have done for the past 20 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Helix - I'll think you'll find that O'Neill applied for arguably the toughest and biggest job in world football (England coach). Also, you can't compare Celtic's UEFA cup run with Boro's. Last season's UEFA cup was the worst I can remember.

• Advertisement
Advertisement