Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Does having a country reg allow you to drive badly?

Options
  • 22-07-2006 9:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

M50 today, heading southbound, traffic not too bad, just the usual Saturday afternoon stuff.

Quite a few of the usual overtaking lane hoggers but I refuse to undertake them 99.99% of the time.

However, the amount of people in non-Dublin registered cars swerving in and out of lanes, hopping from one to the other, only to get maybe 5 cars ahead overall.

One Cork car went to swerve aggressively into the inside lane to undertake and then at the last minute, the car hogging the overtaking lane moved in and Cork man has to swerve to avoid and flies back into the overtaking lane (to a nice blast of bi-xenons from myself which got his attention).

Is it a coincidence that all these road deaths happen outside of Dublin (assuming the cars I witnessed all being country reg cars were being driven by country people)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Another controversial thread from Big Balls....

There is bad driving from all regs naturally. However one thing I notice at weekends is there seem to be a lot of people "up from the country" doing shopping in Liffey Valley and Blanchardstown. So they often end up in the M50 area and it's a very different driving environment to what they're used to. One thing you'll see quite often is when they get to the Westlink they panic and get tunnel vision. The result is they don't follow any of the road markings they just plough straight ahead for the nearest toll booth.

Aggressive swerving around and undertaking wouldn't be the sort of thing they'll usually do though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

You cannot give a "blast of bi-xenons" - these normally need to heat up. You can however flash your traditional halogen filled headlights ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Agree its another controversial thread and one that will without doubt just turn into pages and pages of arguing and expletives relating to why city folk are better drivers and vice versa. I just dont think that you can tar everyone with the one brush (no pun intended)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

TheBazman wrote:
    Agree its another controversial thread and one that will without doubt just turn into pages and pages of arguing and expletives relating to why city folk are better drivers and vice versa. I just dont think that you can tar everyone with the one brush (no pun intended)

I couldn't agree more. One thing that disappoints me about some of the subscribers to Boards, is the willingness to start this kind of bull!, Country vs. Dublin people, East versus West. North versus South. WRC vs Meath to Dublin. FFS, its a small country and it "belongs" to us all equally,

I refuse to be drawn into discussions of this type as the contributors going down this route are generally bereft of any reasoned argument, just full of insults and innuendo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Avns1s wrote:
    I refuse to be drawn into discussions of this type as the contributors going down this route are generally bereft of any reasoned argument, just full of insults and innuendo.

Now thats just a typical "country" attitude.*

My personal opinion is that everyone has lightening quick reactions to finding fault in other peoples driving. Trust me, for every time you give out about somebody doing x y or z wrong, someone sometime says something very similar about you.

We are all a product of bad vehicle policy in this country. If you really want to make a difference to society do an Advanced Driving course. Prove to everyone that you are different and are being proactive about roadsafety and the safety of yourself and those around you.

L.

*this is just a joke, the rest of the post has nothing whatsoever to do with Avns1s other than being in agreement with his/her sentiments on these type of threads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Does having a country reg allow you to drive badly?

Yes it does. We get a special license :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Avns1s wrote:
    I refuse to be drawn into discussions of this type .

Why respond then - you are contradicting yourself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thread closed due to impending muppetry*

Mike

*country bumpkin Mod reaction.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement