Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISA Competent Crew for Sail Cruising

• 22-07-2006 9:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭

Myself and some friends are complete sailing novices (in that we have sailed in the past, but the distant past) but want to take some training in yachting. I've been poking around online and have found a course that sounds right up our alley. It's the competent crew course for sail cruising.

http://www.sailing.ie/inside/default.asp?pageId=187

We're based in Dublin and would be willing to travel somewhere like Wexford if we needed to, but can anybody recomend somewhere that offers the course?

My only requirement is that you don't have to do the five days consecutively and that they are flexible with when they are done (my work is shift based so i'm not always available on weekends).

Also, what kind of money is such a course and what kind of gear would we want to pick up before doing (other than the obvious waterproofs).

Thanking you in advance. Any additional nuggets of information for the complete beginner would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

I would think that you could try the "List of ISA Course Providers" at the top left hand corner of the page, and go to "Cruising Sail"
    Jim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

The ISA website is the best resource as James pointed out. Go to www.sailing.ie. As for gear get a good fleece and baseball hat/woolly hat. Gloves are always good. Shackle opener with marlin spike can be handy. Sunglasses are a must on a bright day. Also some thermals if the weather turns cool. also get a lifejacket that you can trust. You shouldn't need anything else for crewing. Normally I tell people starting up not to buy anything until they have been out for a few times. Get advice from someone who has been sailing a while and if possible bring them with you when buying gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 finnersy

Hi, just wonderng did you find a competent crew course in dublin? I'm looking for one myself........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pudd

Hi just completed a comp crew course. Done my course out of Carrickfergus. Ulster sailing school. Only about 150km from Dublin, plus half the price. Can be done over weekends or 5 days. Had a great time. got to see the beautiful coast of Northern Ireland.

http://www.ulstercruising.com/index.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Check out http://www.sailingwest.ie/ based in Dun Laoghaire, no connection but happy customer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement