Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia E61 vs. Blackberry or other smartphones on irish networks?

• 22-07-2006 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has one of the Nokia E61s and is using it on Vodafone (or any other network) and can give me some feedback on how they're getting on?

Disappointingly, any of the stores that i have called in to don't have any smartphones to show a live demo of.

I'm basically interested in getting a smartphone if its possible to browse the web, e.g. check web-based email and check the odd fact or look up listings or directions for things or read offline documents. I don't anticipate i'd use it that much but would really prefer to be a ble to browse the regular web rather than the sort of WAP-type pages i've seen before.

I don't need an email push function, which i understand is one of the main ways that blackberrys are used by corporate users.

Also, there are a few concepts that i'm trying to get my head around (sorry if these are a little basic!)
    - do you typically buy a voice aswell as a data plan, and then simply pay per kbs if you go over it? Do they have any sort of flat-rate browsing deals?
    - since i see the term WiFi mentioned, does it mean that you can use the phone on a home WiFi network (and not pay mobile charges to get online that way, or how does it work?)

Any info really appreciated, especially with regard to what plan you are on and how you are finding the document/office viewer (i guess you can use that offline? or can transfer or sync files from a PC across with data?)
    Thanks a million, Suzy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 hughes051

Not to sure how old the post is but i have had the nokia e61 for 5 weeks and I have to say it the best pda/phone i have own i can serve the net collect my aol email and there are lots of apps coming out. I can recommend this phone to any one who lookig to get on the net while on the move i am on vodaphone net work 18mths contract well worth it contact me if you need and more info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

All the reviews I have read indicate that the E61 is -- by a large margin -- the best smart-phone in its price range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭mobileplaza

great phone but iv seen a lot come back doa. problems with signal cutting out. phone has to be powered off & back on & a few software glitches.. id still reccommend one over a blackberry though for functionality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Mine was a bit like that until I upgraded the firmware. Now its rock solid. Can't recommend this phone highly enough. Beats my old bb handsdown.

great phone but iv seen a lot come back doa. problems with signal cutting out. phone has to be powered off & back on & a few software glitches.. id still reccommend one over a blackberry though for functionality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

only problem ive noticed is that it takes ages to open documents of over 100kb
    like i had a zelda walkthrough that was like 500kb and it just took like 5mins to open

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

i've used many diff palms, windows ce and previous symbian s60 devices. The E61 is hands down the most versatile convergance device I've ever used. wi-fi is a clincher for me as well as 4 diff push email solutions, mobipocket + the desktop converter is a dream to use, (mobipocket.com) bt calander syncing, good browser, okay rss reader, nice big screen, very pocketable... list goes on.
    Get the AD-46 headphone adaptor and it doubles as a good mp3 player, get smartmovie and its a decent PVP. Get a 2GB mini SD card from 7dayshop.com (about €30 inc shipping).. and your off.

check out these blogs:
    http://www.e-series.org/
    http://stmcgill.wordpress.com/
    http://www.nokme.com/
    http://e61life.com/
    http://jake61.wordpress.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

elderlemon wrote:
    Mine was a bit like that until I upgraded the firmware. Now its rock solid. Can't recommend this phone highly enough. Beats my old bb handsdown.
    How did you get the firmware updated?

Nokia online software update - http://www.nokia.com/A4176089

only works on non-branded phones though.
    irish1 wrote:
    How did you get the firmware updated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

elderlemon wrote:
    i have a sim free e61, fimware 1.06 its buggy as hell....

i tried to update it from nokia web update but it says no update available.
    the battery meter is not accurate at all... not to mention wlan issues....

i cant leave the phone in a service centre for 2 days to have it flashed
    as i need a fone.

does anyone know where i can have the phone flashed with the latest firmware while i wait?

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Nokia phone center? Are you a member of Club Nokia?

http://www.nokia.ie/clubnokia

• Advertisement

1.06 or 2.06? 1.06 is VERY old. 2.0618.06.05 is the latest version

If its 1.06 and the online update says no update available then you probably have a gray import. The online updater have updates for specific hardware versions (language,keyboard layout etc) and if you have a gray import from the Far East it usually can't be upgraded online.

THe Mobile phone repair centre in Sandyford can usually flash the thing in a couple of hours but ask them first which firmware version they are going to put on it - Don't take "its the latest version" answer. Get a version number from them.

what_car wrote:
    i have a sim free e61, fimware 1.06 its buggy as hell....

i tried to update it from nokia web update but it says no update available.
    the battery meter is not accurate at all... not to mention wlan issues....

i cant leave the phone in a service centre for 2 days to have it flashed
    as i need a fone.

does anyone know where i can have the phone flashed with the latest firmware while i wait?

cheers

elderlemon wrote:
    1.06 or 2.06? 1.06 is VERY old. 2.0618.06.05 is the latest version

If its 1.06 and the online update says no update available then you probably have a gray import. The online updater have updates for specific hardware versions (language,keyboard layout etc) and if you have a gray import from the Far East it usually can't be upgraded online.

THe Mobile phone repair centre in Sandyford can usually flash the thing in a couple of hours but ask them first which firmware version they are going to put on it - Don't take "its the latest version" answer. Get a version number from them.

my phone is not a grey import, its a uk e61 product code 0538289.
    apparently lots of people have issues with updating this product code.
    i am a member of club nokia and the service point i went to said i would have to leave the phone in for 1-2 days, which is not practical for me as i need a fone to use... nokia care less line was no help at all.... no one in nokia knows how often they update the webupdater!

just google the product code and you will see lots of people have the same problem!!

Did you by any chance get it from Expansys? Lots of units from Expansys appear to be "gray market" and won't update online.

what_car wrote:
    my phone is not a grey import, its a uk e61 product code 0538289.
    apparently lots of people have issues with updating this product code.
    i am a member of club nokia and the service point i went to said i would have to leave the phone in for 1-2 days, which is not practical for me as i need a fone to use... nokia care less line was no help at all.... no one in nokia knows how often they update the webupdater!

just google the product code and you will see lots of people have the same problem!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Will the E61 be able to send web texts if I have it hooked up to a wireless network?

I think the E61 is only available on the vodafone network and not meteor so ive to
    look into getting it unlocked, if thats even possible :o

my phone is not a grey import, it is a uk model, product code 0538289 made in finland it is a uk model the product code verifies this fact.

and the sticker on the box says it is a uk country variant.

elderlemon wrote:
    Did you by any chance get it from Expansys? Lots of units from Expansys appear to be "gray market" and won't update online.

Advertisement