Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Freshers Week Traditions.

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Bartronilic

is that bartley rock? right before starting college some (sort of) randomer in roches told me to say hi to bartley rock who "loves the hist" im guessing thats him (he obviously loves the hist that much!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

Bartley I think I'm gonna hit you if I read one more uber Hist post.

But to be fair, you'd hit him anyway. Who wouldn't? It's fun.
    is that bartley rock?

Bartley Rock IV, to give him his full title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Bartron Prime

Sorry. Guess it was a little 'Hist-ariffic'. My apologies. Still, this IS about Freshers' Week, and it's what I've done every year. Well, that and get rather drunk a few times. ;) It's all good. Freshers' Week is great. Drinking, stand work, drinking, free food, drinking, tricking people like Ógra Fianna Fáil and/or Labour Youth into giving you candyfloss, drinking, getting harassed by the Christian Union, drinking and so on.... Did I mention there was drinking? I can't wait for it to start up again. Note to self: Blag lots of free stuff.

Hitting me is not fun. It's like beating up a kitten. The reaction is amusing at first but you end up feeling guilty and disappointed in yourself. Oh, and getting scratched.

Yup, I'm Bartley Rock IV alright. I feel like I should be the heir to an estate somewhere in Berkshire. I could be the 14th Earl of Something. Just, minus the in-breeding. Not a fan of the in-breeding. Have we met Bartronilic? Hmm. Someone did introduce themselves in Freshers' Week as knowing someone I knew in (shudder) Roches. How odd. The world she is a small place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

shay_562 wrote:
    But to be fair, you'd hit him anyway. Who wouldn't? It's fun.
    <Sniggers and consults with Angry Banana.>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Ah euro, I love forward to our antics when Prof Murphy is lecturing us.

My Freshers' Week will entail choosing a new hobby, primarily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Ah euro, I love forward to our antics when Prof Murphy is lecturing us.

boyster1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

What the hell is it with those bean counting folk and their idolisation of their lecturers? Stockholm syndrome? Pfft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 New-to-this

Right, well after reading all these comments, I kinda have a few questions.(Hopefully), I'll be at freshers week in Trinity next year, and I was wondering what GMB and Hist meant............Kinda scared about dis fresh meat ting too............:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

GMB = graduate's memorial building (I think!), where the Hist and Phil live, and possibly other stuff.
    The Hist = "Historical Society"... it's just a big old debating society in TCD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

Right, well after reading all these comments, I kinda have a few questions.(Hopefully), I'll be at freshers week in Trinity next year, and I was wondering what GMB and Hist meant............Kinda scared about dis fresh meat ting too............:confused:

...such an old thread.

Hist = debating society

GMB = graduate memorial building, where the Hist, the Phil and the Theo have rooms.

Fresh meat was quite clearly a joke. As a rule of thumb, clubs and societies will want you way more than you'll want them in Freshers' week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 New-to-this

oh ryt, thankin you

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

What exactly happens on freshers week? i get we will have introduction talks and sign for societies but other than that what happens? Will nights out be organised by some society and we all just follow or whats the story?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭NormalBob Ubiquitypants

RoRo979 wrote: »
    What exactly happens on freshers week? i get we will have introduction talks and sign for societies but other than that what happens? Will nights out be organised by some society and we all just follow or whats the story?

Ritual hazing on the roof of the museum building. Usually followed by a flooding of the cricket pitch where all freshman are made swim across in order to gain entry. That and f all else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

You make friends with people with whom you are not going to be friends after Freshers week. Although you might think otherwise at the time, soon enough you will find yourself one semester in and thinking that you never did go for coffee after all. You will also join about ten too many societies, to get your hands on that sweet sweet Reads tack and maybe an occasional burrito voucher. You will also learn how to eat a burrito, because it's far from burritos that you were raised. There will also be a high chance of SU giving out condoms and diaries, Berocca and pot noodles because those are the things you are apparently supposed to have as a student. Many end up using none of those things. You will probably go on a cable tie pub crawl, a stampede in the Academy or some place, a course talk, a pub crawl, possibly a humorous Phil debate, a pub crawl, a sports centre tour. Jk, nobody goes on the sports centre tour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

You make friends with people with whom you are not going to be friends after Freshers week. Although you might think otherwise at the time, soon enough you will find yourself one semester in and thinking that you never did go for coffee after all. You will also join about ten too many societies, to get your hands on that sweet sweet Reads tack and maybe an occasional burrito voucher. You will also learn how to eat a burrito, because it's far from burritos that you were raised. There will also be a high chance of SU giving out condoms and diaries, Berocca and pot noodles because those are the things you are apparently supposed to have as a student. Many end up using none of those things. You will probably go on a cable tie pub crawl, a stampede in the Academy or some place, a course talk, a pub crawl, possibly a humorous Phil debate, a pub crawl, a sports centre tour. Jk, nobody goes on the sports centre tour.

You forgot eat too much free pizza.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Societies and the SU organise nights out which are fairly well advertised. Societies put on events during the day on campus too.

TBH first year freshers week will be the worst one; that's not to say it's bad, but for me at least they got a lot better with each year, as I knew more people and got involved in societies etc. People shouldn't worry worry if freshers week in first year isn't great.

Advertisement