Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advise on training

Options
  • 23-07-2006 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Greetings,

I'm thinking of getting back into playing. Thing is, I haven't done so in 10 years and have done nothing since then but pushing pencils, and by now am totaly out of shape.
    Before even thinking of attending a training session I need to get back stamina and muscle. (Pos.: Left Guard)

Does anyone have some tips or links handy for excercises I could do without joining a gym or spending too much on home equipment ? Some free weights I would have room for, but even a bench would be out of the question.

At the moment I could probably work with sheer mass to a certain extent,
    but remembering our Defense (a lovely bunch of maniacs :D )
    that would be inviting injury.

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭Lothaar

Try posting in the fitness forum. It's a great source of exactly the sort of info you're seeking.

DTW - What team did you play for?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Press ups in the morning and a run in the evening, and if you can't run very far walk as fast as you can. I used to do a lot of arm dips as well. If you've got a corner in your kitchen stand facing away from the units, with an arm on each side of the corner, raise your legs and lift yourself up and down using your arms. Alternatively get a chair and do them on that. We do an endurance drill involving running to a designated spot and back (around 1 minute total), then sit ups for same time, squats, jumping jacks, push ups and a rest - all for the same time. We started at 10 minutes and worked up to what we were told was 15 but felt closer to 20. That'll help build up your fitness levels to begin with. As Lothaar said, I'd go to the fitness forum as well for advice. Where you based and who did you used to play for? I'm probably going to be playing LT for DCU next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Locko

Hi,
    My name is Terry Loughran and I am in the process of bringing a new team together in Tallaght. We will be starting training around the start of sept and it will be mainly doing fitness training for the first month and all through the rest of the training till the start of the season. So if you have an intrest in coming back to the game please let us know.

Regards,
    Terry
    www.tallaghtoutlaws.com

Advertisement