Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Re-installing windows XP

• 23-07-2006 11:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭

OK, I've recently been having some major issues with my laptop (a dell 8600 bought in jan 2004), namely that it was having boot problems, which I think I may have solved by entering recovery console and running a chkdsk /r. It "found and fixed" hard disk problems. Anyway, the computer is still running a little slow and things like the shutdown screen stay up for about 30-40 seconds and I feel that the system has just become a little bloated due to daily use over the last 2 and a half years.

Anyway, I am considering re-installing windows. I have backed up all my Documents and personal files, so I don't mind a complete re-install. Can anyone just tell me the pros and cons of re-installing, also I understand that I can just do a repair install which will keep most of my files. But maybe for performance reasons I should go with a clean re-install? Should I try use a utility to save my files and settings to bring them across?

I've had quite a look around online, but am really only able to find postings on people who are upgrading from NT or ME or something, can't find much on someone running XP wanting to re-install it... Any help or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Nigel

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Yeah sometimes after extended use it helps to do a clean install. Doing a repair install won't help you much, it just replaces systme files that might have become corrupted. If you have everything backed up, then it's no problem doing a format (delete everything) and reinstall. Just make sure you have all your software disks at hand to reinstall Office, etc. Most other software your can download from web (Acrobat, AVG, etc). Don't forget to back up your mail or addressbook if you need it.

Once you're happy everything is backed up, put XP cd in and restart PC. It will ask you if you want to boot from CD so say yes. Then just follow the instuctions. It will prob detect existing install of XP and ask if u want to replace or repair it. Say replace and format. Any probs just post back here.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭CraggyIslander

you can use the file and settings transfer wizard from accessories / system tools on the start menu to backup your my documents folder / outlook settings etc. before reinstalling. It does a half decent job so you dont spend ages tweaking everything after reinstall.

But as irlrobins said mke sure u have software disks and driver disks handy before starting

Advertisement