Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPS Customs Clearance Charge

Options
  • 23-07-2006 11:59am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭

I imported a DS lite and some accessories from play-asia and I was aware I'd probably get stung for VAT here and I was willing to pay that.

UPS called me on friday to notify me the VAT would be 42 euro and I said fair enough. Then he says - "There is also a 16 euro charge by us for paying the VAT for you"

I couldn't believe it. I'd paid 43 US Dollars for the UPS courier delivery option on play-asia and now they are charging me almost half that again just to pay the VAT. Play-asia mentions that I may be subjected to the VAT but it doesn't mention that the courier that i'm paying 40 dollars to will charge me half that again just to pass the package through customs.

I'm sickened to say the least - and really felt like telling them to send the package back that I didn't want it.

Do all the major couriers charge that much? Am I being naive? Is this the norm?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Thats pretty much standard for couriers. An Post are a little cheaper.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

is it possible i wonder to do the custom's conveyancing yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Red Alert wrote:
    is it possible i wonder to do the custom's conveyancing yourself?

short answer, no. The customs conveyancing is done by customs themselves. The charge from the courier is the charge for collecting the payment from you.

Advertisement