Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What makes a BMW Driver Prickly?

Options
  • 23-07-2006 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭

There's no doubt about it sometimes the marque can get a bad name for the driver but invariably it is the driver which gets the bad name for the marque.

What make a BMW Driver Prickly?

Is it the endless pursuit of the ultimate driving experience (Thrill Seeker), I'm the Boss let me out of here (Power Trip), or is it something more sublimable like a Personality Shift ( House Angel, Road Devil)?

There are many cars with equal or greater power than BMW, some costing less, some even more discreet but when it comes to a cohesive driver group there are few to match the distinct characterisitcs of the BMW driver.

The question is why?:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think it's more to do with your perception of the brand. Sure a certain type of driver buys BMW, and your very old or very young rarely drive them.
    But surely the Beemer is just a soft target. the same question could be asked of Jaguar or Audi drivers.

On a side note, has anyone noticed how polite Saab and Volvo drivers can be? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Swedish by car Swedish by nature? One for the trick-cyclists. Apparently beige cars are less likely to be crashed. Black cars are driven by nutters, black German saloons should treated as unexploded devices.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Why isn't this locked? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

There's no doubt about it sometimes the marque can get a bad name for the driver but invariably it is the driver which gets the bad name for the marque.

What make a BMW Driver Prickly?

Is it the endless pursuit of the ultimate driving experience (Thrill Seeker), I'm the Boss let me out of here (Power Trip), or is it something more sublimable like a Personality Shift ( House Angel, Road Devil)?

There are many cars with equal or greater power than BMW, some costing less, some even more discreet but when it comes to a cohesive driver group there are few to match the distinct characterisitcs of the BMW driver.

The question is why?:cool:

Drive one sometime and you'll see why they are a great car to drive.

And I promise I won't take the "Prickly" comment as offensive.

And here's me thinking your next useless thread that you were going to start would have been entitled "3 reasons not to buy a Skoda"

and would you care to elaborate on the text I've highlighted in red??:rolleyes:

bmwwvo3.png

I think there's evidence to suggest that the cars are affecting the drivers self esteem, hence the inconsiderate driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Well is it no wonder there's trouble on our roads, where's the tolerance guys, someone looking for thread to be locked before it gets going. No soft target, no wind up. As an ex-BMW driver I've seen bothsides. I'm not interested in the envy bit, and yes there's plenty of it out there, what I am trying to tackle is driver's awareness of how others see them and why.

Boards seems a good forum to exchange views/opinions and/or experiences. What's wrong with intelligent debate, what we're exploring is driver behaviour, how it affects fellow road users and if there are issues how might these be changed. Some drivers might be oblivious of the impact whilst others might not give a toss.

This is one way of changing driver behaviour, create awareness then perhaps you can work on behaviour changing next. Interest not exclusive to BMW but BMW drivers in general would have a higher IQ than other groups, so good place to start.

If someone wants to tackle another group well get going- it's a forum.
    If you're not interested better leave alone OK. Stop cluttering threads with slag offs, and finally, the engineering attributes of BMW is not relevant.

Interest not exclusive to BMW but BMW drivers in general would have a higher IQ than other groups, so good place to start.

Now thats a troll! :p

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Well is it no wonder there's trouble on our roads, where's the tolerance guys, someone looking for thread to be locked before it gets going. No soft target, no wind up. As an ex-BMW driver I've seen bothsides. I'm not interested in the envy bit, and yes there's plenty of it out there, what I am trying to tackle is driver's awareness of how others see them and why.

Boards seems a good forum to exchange views/opinions and/or experiences. What's wrong with intelligent debate, what we're exploring is driver behaviour, how it affects fellow road users and if there are issues how might these be changed. Some drivers might be oblivious of the impact whilst others might not give a toss.

This is one way of changing driver behaviour, create awareness then perhaps you can work on behaviour changing next. Interest not exclusive to BMW but BMW drivers in general would have a higher IQ than other groups, so good place to start.

If someone wants to tackle another group well get going- it's a forum.
    If you're not interested better leave alone OK. Stop cluttering threads with slag offs, and finally, the engineering attributes of BMW is not relevant.

I have read that post 5 times, and I honestly admit I have no idea what you are getting at!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I find this thread funny.....BMW's are so common now that the exclusivity of the brand is really gone.....every other car is a 1998 - 2002 318 ci or the like. Loads of modified 3 series. Yeah maybe the 6 series is still an exclusive car but honestly do you really think anyone take the blindest bit of notice of yet another BMW. Dont get me wrong they are a great car, but those who drive them are no longer the most rich or decerning driver anymore....sorry

3 series outsells Mondeo in UK by 10,000 units a year now.

Mike.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote:
    Now thats a troll! :p

Mike.
    Quote:
    Interest not exclusive to BMW but BMW drivers in general would have a higher IQ than other groups, so good place to start.

Now thats a troll!

Mike.

Mike- well I can see your point but I disagree. I'm thinking of the link between car power and brain power - but I am not saying is that all BMW drivers are smarter than all other drivers of lesser expensive cars. In fact, affordability perhaps (but not exclusively) to higher disposable income etc might reflect better education , better job, etc etc you know what I mean?

I'm thinking of the link between car power and brain power -

What is the constant? The square of the speed of light in a vacuum?

Some would say the smartest fella takes the Luas.

Mike.

maidhc wrote:

Remember, no marks for guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

maidhc wrote:

3.3x10^6?

To be honest what you're saying doesn't make much sense, a link between car power and brain power. Is it proportional, inversely proportional?

Squirrel- this is getting off the original topic, do you not accept that there is a link between affordability and earning ability? In other words smarter folk (not always but usually) get better jobs (not always but usually better paying) and so can afford to spend more on cars.

How many good earners prefer Skoda to BMW? Very few I would imagine.

The OP is about Driver Behaviour, so rather than saying what makes SMART drivers prickly, I decided to limit focus to BMW.

The wealthiest person I know (~€20m) drives an ex-city council pickup with the livery still on. He parks it wherever he chooses, double yellow lines included, and has never got a ticket.

You simply CANNOT assume BMW drivers are either more intelligent or wealthier than those who drive battered Corollas. Indeed, often the opposite is the case.

maidhc wrote:
    The wealthiest person I know (~€20m) drives an ex-city council pickup with the livery still on. He parks it wherever he chooses, double yellow lines included, and has never got a ticket.

Has he got a fixed abode?

colm_mcm wrote:
    Has he got a fixed abode?

About 6/7 apartment blocks and a very nice house in the western suburbs!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

What makes a BMW Driver Prickly?

- the secure knowledge of having paid way over the odds for what is essentially just another car
    - the indignancy of other road users to treat a BMW as exactly thus ...just another car
    -the resulting frustration ...i.e the road doesn't clear itself magically just because you arrive in a beemer ...hence you just have to ignore other road users, dismiss them as ignorant subhumans and just behave as if the road was clear :D:D:D

Does that answer your question?

(and for the slightly cowardly BMW driver ...there is always the X5 !)

• Advertisement

Boards seems a good forum to exchange views/opinions and/or experiences. What's wrong with intelligent debate, what we're exploring is driver behaviour
    No, what you're exploring is BMW driver behaviour....Why? If you really want to get an accurate response to your thread why don't you post here and lets see what kind of a response you get? At least every response is from a BMW driver. Isn't that what you really want?

You really do start the most pointless threads...at least sunflowers die off at the end of summer.

http://www.bmwcarclubforum.co.uk/forum_topics.asp?FID=5

:
    Lex Luthor wrote:
    No, what you're exploring is BMW driver behaviour....Why? If you really want to get an accurate response to your thread why don't you post here and lets see what kind of a response you get? At least every response is from a BMW driver. Isn't that what you really want?

You really do start the most pointless threads...at least sunflowers die off at the end of summer.

http://www.bmwcarclubforum.co.uk/forum_topics.asp?FID=5

Lex, why not give it a break, your posts are becoming tedious, and if you cannot read the OP why not go play hurley or ghostbusters.

I didn't know there was a BMW Forum but am I surprised ? No, but I'm not looking for owner only feedback.

BTW, Sunflowers are perennial. Move on or Get over it!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Unfortunately, I can't agree with that. Some people buy them as a status symbol, leaving themselves in debt in order to show off a badge. Others are spending "Daddys" money, with more driving "Daddys" car (there's a guy in Galway who drives a new LS400 belonging to his father all the time. I don't think the same guy has ever held a job - the only job I can remember him having was as a night porter in a hotel).

Personally, I bought for comfort (I'm 6'5" and 19 stone, so small cars and me don't mix well). Also, even though it's a '98 car, it's full of safety extras (multiple airbags, ABS, ASC, etc) which aren't always readily available on newer cars. When I bought, I could have gotten a 2-3 year old Mondeo instead of a 7 year old BMW 520, but I prefered the drive of the BMW, as well as the spec of the BMW. :cool:

As for the "I own the road mentality", I really don't agree with you. At risk of repeating myself ad nauseum, I tend to be very courteous to other drivers - I was far more agressive when I was driving Hondas (old age, perhaps?). :rolleyes:

Mike65 - I drive a black German saloon, so I resemble your remark very much! :D

Unexploded bomb mearse! :eek:

I used to drive one so I resemble my remark too (which is why I made it of course)!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

well I have a 20 year old BMW right from the middle of the red braces period of world history, a current mondeo and a 40 year old mini

I dont know if I'm a summer of love hippy a boring rep or a power trip mad inconsiderate BMWer.... oh well

:

Lex, why not give it a break, your posts are becoming tedious, and if you cannot read the OP why not go play hurley or ghostbusters.

I didn't know there was a BMW Forum but am I surprised ? No, but I'm not looking for owner only feedback.

BTW, Sunflowers are perennial. Move on or Get over it!:confused:
    I move on every day...I don't feel the need to start new threads that are make absolute nonsense.

I'm a bit surprised you didn't realise there was a BMW forum. It exists along with many other BMW forums, aswell as many Alfa, Seat, VW, Honda, Skoda, Ford, Mercedes etc etc etc, forums.

So why aren't you only looking for owner only feedback. That defeats the purpose. If you are asking a question about what makes BMW owners so prickly, surely only BMW owners can answer that...DUH....!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I think you are falling into the trap of believing the media stereotypes.You get every type of driver in every type of car. Or do you think that every BMW driver only drives that Marque? or has only every driven that marque? Or do you think that like the Hulk when a BMW driver steps into a BMW they change?

I know 4 people who either own or used to own a BMW, and they all drive exactly the same as they ever did. Some good, some bad. The car makes no difference.

The question should really be, why such an obvious dragnet.

Yes I do believe the car can influence the driver, if you know car X is more capable than car Y, I think there are drivers that would use/abuse the additional power etc. Unless of course you're the local Vicar who has been quite content to go about happily in the 1.0L whatever make, I think most drivers would step up to the mark and probably push the pedal that bit further than normal?

Imagine a motorway scenario where you're confronted by 'vicars'. If the vicar is overtaking at 120kmh and MR BMW is roaring up his backside because he's in a bigger hurry, in a bigger car that is capable of doing 220+kmh, Is Mr BMW (a) likely to be patient and wait (b) likely to hustle or (c) bend the rule?

I think it happens every day, (Drivers in) BIG cars intimidate (Drivers in) little cars. Very rarely see two BIG cars hustle it out but it does happen.

Lex Luthor wrote:
    I move on every day...I don't feel the need to start new threads that are make absolute nonsense........

...DUH....!!!!

The OP and explaination is causing you some upset. Despite some clarification you are none the wiser, and yet you continue to be abusive. But why Lex ? Is there nobody to play Ghostbusters?

Practice what you preach and take your nonsense away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I think it happens every day, (Drivers in) BIG cars intimidate (Drivers in) little cars. Very rarely see two BIG cars hustle it out but it does happen.

I don't think the specific car has anything to do with it. Simply there are all types of people driving. Some are bullies, some are easily intimidated. I find that most people, especially those in newish big cars, are intimidated by small rusty cars with lots of dents and scratches. Especially when driven erratically. :D

Thats said people in expensive cars, generally didn't get those cars by being timid and weak willed.

Advertisement