Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forest Mage, Shaman's Crossing: Hobb

Options
  • 23-07-2006 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭

I've been a great fan of Robin hobb's Fool, Liveship and Assassin trilogies but I'm a bit baffled by what's going on in her latest offering Forest Mage, Shaman's Crossing was an interesting read, seemed to offer a lot of potential for another quality story but i'm 95% through Forest Mage now and tbh i'm bored.

The thing that strikes me is that there is only one character, he's not even that interesting a chap either, unlike the Liveships and Fool books where there was a fair number of characters and plots with fairly constant action, these last two seem to just plod along in a very passive way. It' also rather unusual to have just a single protaganist in a fantasy novel, strange style to adopt and not in keeping with the her previous excellent style.

Hope this isn't another author going down the well trodden road of putting words on paper for the sake of it / hefty royalty cheques.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Surely the fact that the Assassin and Fool trilogies were written in the first person says she's done single-point fantasy stories before?!

I've not read this series yet, but I'm worried by your review now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

So am I after having Forest Mage unopened beside me... still the first one was up to her usual standard so I have high hopes for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

it will be interesting to see what ye think, I read a few of the amazon reviews after posting this and it's a mixed bag of reactions, some praising her style and language others complaining about the lack of action.

To me it seems like a non-sf novel trapped in a SF-body. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Just finished forest mage. It is true that the story can be ponderous at times but Hobbs has created a very nice world and several interesting cultures. It is well worth the read but the entire trilogy will succeed or fail on her ending of the third book. Its all set up nicely now and Hobbs isnt usually slanted toward the happy happy joy joy ending so it could go any way at all. I've enjoyed the first two (though Nevare is a whining little git and a bit of an idiot). here's hoping she pulls it off :)

Just started it - alright so far.

Isnt Navarre meant to be a bit of a git though?

I get the feeling she is writing him so we feel conflicted about him, especially since he is a product of his environment.

Im expecting either he gets his cumuppance or realises he is a tosser, possibly both.....

Probably in a tragic way too :)

• Advertisement

LoLth wrote:
    Just finished forest mage. It is true that the story can be ponderous at times but Hobbs has created a very nice world and several interesting cultures. It is well worth the read but the entire trilogy will succeed or fail on her ending of the third book. Its all set up nicely now and Hobbs isnt usually slanted toward the happy happy joy joy ending so it could go any way at all. I've enjoyed the first two (though Nevare is a whining little git and a bit of an idiot). here's hoping she pulls it off :)

did the almost total lack of action not bother you at all ?

i'm all for good characterisation, but if the protagonist is a git, it puts me off I guess ala tomas covenant stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

I really enjoyed it, like ive liked all her books. Very little action in it, but she makes up for it with the story. Looking forward to the next one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Nevare is a whiny little eejit who needs a kick up the @rse, but I enjoyed both books otherwise.

I liked it too. Better in some ways than Liveships novels. She's still failing to reach the heights of the Farseer Triology though.

Nevare is a bit of a pig headed dumb fool - deliberately a product of his culture I reckon. Im not sure the story would work otherwise.

I did think the whole fat thing was a bit overdone though.

I did like they way that Tree Woman has changed in this book.

Come to think of it he is a bit Thomas Covenant-like - though thats not a bad thing in my book!

Only thing I didnt like were the echo's of Fitz, you know the whole living in a shack thing.

was talking to a mate about this yesterday, he'd just finished it and was thoroughly disgusted : "nothing happens" was his summary.

• Advertisement

growler wrote:
    was talking to a mate about this yesterday, he'd just finished it and was thoroughly disgusted : "nothing happens" was his summary.

Ah to be fair now quite a lot happens in a narrative fashion, just not much action.

Advertisement