Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfing Priority

Options
  • 23-07-2006 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

I am a surfing newbie and have heard people talk about priority on waves. I have no idea what they are talking about as i usually spend most of my time falling in whitewater. However, I just got back from France where I managed to progress onto some waves and also get myself involved in a collision with another guy. He tried to explain the deal to me but his english was as good as my french so basically i am none the wiser about it. I have talked to a few newbies like myself and have received answers ranging from "whoever gets up first" to "whoever is nearest the crest of the wave" to "priority?". Can anyone explain it to me please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Person closest to the peak or crest of the wave
    Technically thats the person who gets the wave.

Although it depends on where you are, and who youre paddling with.

Also, kayak surfers get priority* over board surfers as they can easily accidentally knock the surfer over with a swoop of their blades.

Also, support a surfing forum here! http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054949728

*may be a lie

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

Here's a good description of it; http://www.surfline.com/surfology/surfology_borl_02.cfm

Dropping in is a lot less frowned upon here than in other countries with a more established surf scene (i.e. in Hawaii you'll get stabbed for it, but in Lahinch ye'll probably both just laugh and say sorry).
    FuzzyLogic wrote:
    Also, kayak surfers get priority* over board surfers as they can easily accidentally knock the surfer over with a swoop of their blades.

Never heard of this one. I think the same rule applies as for surfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Kayakers dont get priority, Rules apply the same to all wave users, boards, boggers, ski's, kayaks, seals, ducks, whatever.

Kayakers dont get priority, Rules apply the same to all wave users, boards, boggers, ski's, kayaks, seals, ducks, whatever.

I knew that goddamn duck dropped in on me! I shouldn't have taped it's wing back on...

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Thanks people. That is much clearer. While we are at it. I'm scraping the knee off myself getting up. Is there anything i can do to stop this or is it a normal thing that goes away as I get used to it or get better at popping up? Also, I am looking for a 7'9" board. Any advice on whether I should start with a new one or look for a 2nd hand one? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

For the board depends on how much money you have.Try out different boards(friends boards or whoever) if you can before you buy something. For pop ups the more you do it the better you will become. Pushups are a good general upper body strength exercise and use your core strenght to help get those legs under you and not draggin off the board. Surfs good over the next few days especially in Sligo, get out there and have fun.

cue wrote:
    Thanks people. That is much clearer. While we are at it. I'm scraping the knee off myself getting up. Is there anything i can do to stop this or is it a normal thing that goes away as I get used to it or get better at popping up? Also, I am looking for a 7'9" board. Any advice on whether I should start with a new one or look for a 2nd hand one? :confused:

Practice popping up on your bedroom floor. Try going straight from lying down to standing without using your knees (they will scrape a little bit, but that shouldn't matter if you're wearing a wetsuit). Also try not to put your hands on the rails (sides) of the board when popping up, put them directly on the top of the board and push yourself up. This creates less drag in the water and gets you up quicker, just make sure you have plenty of wax on the board (check any pro surfing videos to see how it's done).

Check http://www.irishsurfer.com/buy&sell.php and buyandsell.ie for secondhand boards. A 7' 9" Bic should be ok. I wouldn't personally buy a second hand board unless it was a really good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Thanks again people. Was down in Sligo (lovely) and Bundoran (rough) at the weekend. Another question for you if you have the time. I got a new board and am looking for tips on how best to look after it e.g. do you take old wax off? How best to do this? Also, I got a wetsuit and it fits me grand apart from it is rubbing the neck off me. Any ideas?

cue wrote:
    I got a new board and am looking for tips on how best to look after it e.g. do you take old wax off? How best to do this?
    Just rub on a good coat from side to side and then rub a good coat from top to bottom over it. That should last a few months and you won't need to take it off. Don't forget to wax right to the edges or you'll smack your face on the board when you try to pop up.
    cue wrote:
    Also, I got a wetsuit and it fits me grand apart from it is rubbing the neck off me. Any ideas?
    Get a rash guard and wear it underneath the wetsuit. You can get em for about €20 or €30 and they keep you a bit warmer too.

Advertisement