Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bulletproof Vests & their Legality

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

RainyDay wrote:
    I wouldn't assume that legislation will use language or terminology which is recognisable to you and me.

Actually it does. SI 363 of 1996 and SI 300 of 2000, both control of exports orders, use the terms 'body armour' and 'flakk suits'. SI 300 or 2000 also uses the term 'bullet-proof', but applies it to tyres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Let me get this straight - it will stop a round from an Ak, but can't stop a super-soaker?????

If the Taliban ever get to the hear of this!

If it is threat level IV with trauma plates,[near enough as comfortable as a suit of armour]yes it will stop an AK.Although you will have massive bruising and proably internal organ damage as well from energy dump.
    No water as in a good dunking or putting your vest in the washing machine,etc.Dont worry the Taliban dont use kevelar,slows you down on the way to meet Allah.:D

Cushtac.
    There are numerous cases of the Gardai confiscating BVs down here in Limerick,paticularlly off the fueding fammlies.OK,they are scumbags,but I suppose they have a right to protection as well? Check out Limerickpost.ie over the last two years.
    Wasnt it second chance body armour that had the recall on kevelar a few years back??Due to dampness ??
    Hagar,
    yup,deer and boar are color blind,but make up for it in smell and hearing.
    To counter a heavy calibre deer round ,you would need threat level 3 or4.Which is a heavy vest to wear all day out hunting.The case you describe sounds like somone with buck fever not identifying their target properly,plus boar or deer or game in general does not wear flouresent red.:eek:
    Accidents are more likely to happen in shooting with driven game onto a line of shooters,where beaters get hit by shot ,or ricohcetting[sic] shot pelletts. so a 2a vest would be good,but the trouble with richocets is you never where they will hit.Personally if I was going hunting with Italians,I would deffo get one.Those lot are worse than the Yanks for buck fever.:eek: :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

There are numerous cases of the Gardai confiscating BVs down here in Limerick,paticularlly off the feuding families.OK,they are scumbags,but I suppose they have a right to protection as well? Check out Limerickpost.ie over the last two years.
    Wasn't it second chance body armour that had the recall on kevelar a few years back??Due to dampness ??

That is very strange, considering many known criminals in Dublin are wearing vests with the full knowledge of the Gardaí. Criminals are indeed entitled to legally protect themselves as much as the next man & I would be interested to see what legislation the Gardaí invoked in these confiscations.

The only big Second Chance recall I know of is the Zylon one, the whole issue has contributed greatly to their bankruptcy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

cushtac wrote:
    That is very strange, considering many known criminals in Dublin are wearing vests with the full knowledge of the Gardaí. Criminals are indeed entitled to legally protect themselves as much as the next man & I would be interested to see what legislation the Gardaí invoked in these confiscations.

The only big Second Chance recall I know of is the Zylon one, the whole issue has contributed greatly to their bankruptcy.

The Gaurds never actually specified any type of legislation on this, just"policy". And that it would help to "defuse" the situation.[I was thinking along the same lines and selling them down here as well].But I was "advised" against it by the powers that be.
    .All in all it seems down here another make life difficult for those who want one.
    So it was second chance that did the Zylon vest.Thanks ,was unsure who it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

Hi Cushtac,
    Have you come across a brand called HIGHMARK??
    I borrow one from a mate whenever the need arises, has plates.
    Fairly comfortable too.

Might be time for me to invest in one.

Cheers
    Mc Guiver

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

what do ye use them for are ye security contractors or is it rec shooting?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

One has to wonder.

mcguiver - Highmark are the suppliers for a lot of British police forces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

For Work (And ye thought Mc Guiver only had a swiss army knife!:rolleyes: )

Although having been on a few of the ranges around Ireland sometimes I wonder if we should all wear them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

I have two BPV's, one has trauma plates which can detach, I bought this in London in a reputable shop but is cumbersome to wear, it was approx £500stg at the time in '95. The second is a knife & bulletproof kevlar, it was tailor fitted to my measurements so I don't know the price as work supplied it. It is excellent to wear and lighter than number one vest. (must locate it for details).

I wear the light one when doing a fox shoot with dogs as there are quite a lot of us when hunting with the dogs.. I don't know of them being in anyway illegal.

TJ911...

Advertisement