Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Timing belt in VW 1.8T engine

Options
  • 23-07-2006 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

Mine needs replacement soon. Do I just change the timing belt on it's own or do you recommend changing any others parts as well. I'll be bringing the car to a non dealer mechanic (friend of the family and to avoid been ripped off) I just want to know what parts I need to purchase for him. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

As a rule it makes sense to change the water pump, is this the cars first belt change? And whats the milage?

http://forums.audiworld.com/18t/

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng35.shtml

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

It the first belt change and it has 56,000 miles on it now

I'd say the water pump can be left in that case, should be okay until the next
    belt change.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Its better to change the waterpump sooner rather then later as the original vag pump has a plastic impeller which is known to fall apart.
    Replace the original unit with a metal (brass I think) impeller.

The place below sells them, just look up your engine code, its stamped on the top left of the engine block...should be auq or similar.

http://www.seatspares.com/

Neil.

What year is your car Endplate?

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Often you will find that you can purchase a timing belt kit which includes everything that should be replaced. Kits would often include the belt itself, tensioners and idlers, the crank pulley etc. It would also be a good idea to replace any accesories belts and teh water pump at the same time (even if these aren't included in the kit) You could also replace the crank pulley oil seal and camshaft oil seal(s) at the same time although it would probably be advisable to leave these well alone unless there is sign of a leak

It is a good idea to change the above parts becasue lets say a tensioner lets go 5,000 miles after you get the belt changed. At best, you have to go through the whole rigmarole of changing the belt again. At worst, the belt breaks/slips and does major damage to your engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

definitely replace the water pump aswell, i had my timing belt done at 52K and forgot to tell them to do the pump at the same time and i paid the price when it went 2 weeks after the belt was changed cost me nearly €200, mostly labour

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

definitely replace the water pump aswell, i had my timing belt done at 52K and forgot to tell them to do the pump at the same time and i paid the price when it went 2 weeks after the belt was changed cost me nearly €200, mostly labour
    Absolutely - You were lucky to get out of it for an extra €200. The same thing happened to me with a Vectra a few years back only the water pump bearing collapsed suddenly causing the timing belt to slip and destroying the valves, pistons and damaged the crankshaft into the bargain. Car had to get a new engine €2,500:eek:

On a 1.8T I'd recommend getting the timing belt tensioner replaced too - not replacing it can lead to engine damage as described above.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Especially if it is a Passat as the 1997 - 2005 B5 Passat has the engine mounted length ways rather than the more commonly transverse way. This makes changing the timing belt awkward and more time consuming, hence more expensive.

If your getting the belt replaced then get the tensioner, waterpump, etc changed aswell at the same time. You will be saving yourself time, money and agro in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Thanks guys very helpful info there. Will go for new cambelt kit and water pump from GSF carparts to be on the safe side. Will leave it up to the mechanics discretion about the oil seal.

Mike the car is nearly 5 years old

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

as the guys said, do the pump. Pain in the arse when the impellers go. Mine lasted 98K in a 1.6:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054947499&highlight=overheating

Do the lot, Tbelt, tensioner, water pump. May as well to the Aux belt too. Try OTTO, they have branches in Finglas, Rathmines and Tallaght and see what prices they have.

Advertisement