Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half empty / Half full ?

• 23-07-2006 6:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭

Is a one pint beer glass with half a pint of beer in it, half empty or half full?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

The vessel is twice the required size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It is what it is. My perception or description of the glass will not affect it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Pocari Sweat

Its a plain glass, half a pint of beer in it, but would it be correctly described as being half full or half empty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

I dont think anyone really needs to think too long or hard about this one. Its really not a philosophical question, more a psychological one. For me its half full, but thats because i am an optimist.

The answer depends on your world view or mood at the time, so the answer i guess would be variable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

It's half full and half empty.

• Advertisement

The question is not being asked in either a philosophical or psychological sense, nor is it hinting at optimism or pessimism, as the question keeps the facts simple and asks for a simple answer.

As there are no comprehensively correct answers yet, or approaches to gain a correct answer, I will give ye a wee clue;

The question contains a brief statement of facts which requires just a small amount of further questioning / discussion as to the sequence of events leading up to how the one pint beer glass with half a pint of beer came into being in order to confirm a correct description.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

The question contains a brief statement of facts which requires just a small amount of further questioning / discussion as to the sequence of events leading up to how the one pint beer glass with half a pint of beer came into being in order to confirm a correct description.
    So you think the act of filling or emptying imprints the status on the glass? Personally I'd would say the status is independant of the action, as half way through emptying a glass, you could choose to begin filling it. Therefore it is also possible to make the definition by intention rather than action. I think the glass is both half empty and half full. They are not binary status', but two ways of describing the same thing.

You were so close Crucifix.

OK another clue; With beer, you get a small bit of froth on top of the poured beer (a head) and this can be seen down the inside of the glass as the beer is being drunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Logically, it's an anomaly. Or, an 'undecidable'.

Big deal, really.

OK another clue; With beer, you get a small bit of froth on top of the poured beer (a head) and this can be seen down the inside of the glass as the beer is being drunk.

Does drinking the beer have to do with it or is it just an example?

Is the foam considered different to the beer itself? Or is the foam not part of the measure of beer?
    If so, there would be numerous other things in the glass besides beer. So the glass would be full with different things, such as CO2, oxygen, water vapour etc...

• Advertisement

Beer is beer, and will have to a degree, dissolved gases which are part of its composition anyway. But as the original post mentions it is a one pint beer glass with half a pint of beer in it.

Wee clue, if you had been drinking from the glass, you would have introduced a small trace of saliva onto the rim of the glass and into the contents of the beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Quick answer: you don't know if it's full or not. You only specified how much beer was in it. Could be another half-pint of piss in it for all we know.
    Also, full of what? Air is a fluid. It probably has a half-pint of air in it. That'd make it full.
    I guess that means you could say it's at least half-full.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭UU

Well it's half full AND it's half empty like what 18AD said. If it's only half full, then what's the other half? And visa versa. Remember, two halves make a whole! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

^It might not be half empty, but it is definitely at least half-full. The only thing you can say with certainty is that it's half full. There might be air, water or any other manner of fluid in the other half of it. It's unspecified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Jackie laughlin

Drink the bloody beer before it goes flat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Demetrius

You would have small amount of water/beer vapour in the empty half? So it wouldn't be truely half empty?

Well, the answer is two-fold.

It is full, because there is half a pint of beer and half a pint - usually of air - unless you drink in some strange pubs.

The other answer relating to just the liquid contents (and air is not a liquid - it is a fluid, though) is dependent on whether the bar person was FILLING the glass up to the half way level or if a drinker was EMPTYING the glass down to half way, hence giving it the status of being half full or half empty.

As there were no complete answers, I'll give some posters HALF points.

If the glass was half empty of beer, did someone finish it before it went flat? If the glass is being filled, it's taking an awfully long time. Does the barman need a lash!

The other answer relating to just the liquid contents (and air is not a liquid - it is a fluid, though) is dependent on whether the bar person was FILLING the glass up to the half way level or if a drinker was EMPTYING the glass down to half way, hence giving it the status of being half full or half empty.

I would disagree. The previous direction of filling or emptying has nothing to do with the status of the volume of liquid in the glass. For instance, say the drinker was drinking as the drink was being poured and it was pouring as fast as he was drinking and remained at the half way point. By your logic would that be half full or empty?

So then, lets set the scene.

Barman / barlass behind the counter pouring a pint, and pissed fart with his gob round the glass supping the contents as some poor fecker is trying to fill the glass faster than pisshead supps it, until equilibrium is reached with struggle between barperson versus pisshead?

What universe is this in?

• Advertisement

A good question - if only a rhetorical one - Pocari.

A philosopher would drink his beer, while ignoring the bar circus, and philosophise.

Half empty then.

Until emptied and replenished! Philosophising is thirsty work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭renedescartes

What a merry dance you have led us! Your answer in the end was not entirely satisfactory. The glass is a container designed to hold a volumn of 1 pint. It will always hold 1 pint! wether this is comprised of 1/2 pint of beer and 1/4 pint of air and a 1/4 pint of dribbles from Pocari as he has obviously spent a very long time contemplating this. So all answers are wrong! It is as my good friend Socrates said "The senses fool us" To see it as 1/2 full or 1/2 empty, is not seeing things as they are.
    Where is this 1/2 pint? If no one is drinking it I may be able to help them out.
    Cheers

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Karoma wrote:
    The vessel is twice the required size.
    Damn, you got there way before me. You're not even an engineer. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

2nd'd

So then, lets set the scene.

Barman / barlass behind the counter pouring a pint, and pissed fart with his gob round the glass supping the contents as some poor fecker is trying to fill the glass faster than pisshead supps it, until equilibrium is reached with struggle between barperson versus pisshead?

What universe is this in?

Beer Bong Universe?

Try a hole in the glass at the half way point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Is a one pint beer glass with half a pint of beer in it, half empty or half full?
    Hmmm beer....

Renee,
    I hope to God, you're too late to claim this half pint. I was worried ages ago that it would be flat if someone didn't drink it. If it's still there, it's in an awful state by now. No true philosopher would have let beer go to waste!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Scigaithris

Beyond amusement, does a metaphor and dichotomy such as this one really contribute to our understanding of anything? Then again, if I had been the one drinking the pint, my view would be very different.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement