Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games waiting to be played....

Options
  • 23-07-2006 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Anyone else have the problem of games sitting round, waiting to be finished or played? I've way too many! I'm not talking about games I got tired of, or bored with. I mean class games, that I really enjoyed when I started, or know I will, that I can't seem to find the time/energy to get round to. What's more annoying is, that I then continue to get more, newer games, and the list just keeps getting longer....

For example....
    Halo
    Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow
    Black & White 2
    Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones
    Fahrenheit
    Call of Duty 2
    Matrix: Path of Neo
    Psychonauts
    Battlefield 2
    Max Payne 2

..are all waiting to be played. All installed, all started, but not finished (or in the case of BF2, waiting to be played properly). In fairness, Psychonauts and Battlefield have been put on the back burner until I get a new machine, capable of coping with them better, B&W2 is only new (and I really should have resisted, seeing as I've so many other games sitting around, but it was on sale!), Halo never quite grabbed me the way, say, HL2 did, and Fahrenheit & COD2, are on my "currently being played" rotation with San Andreas (also not finished!), Rugby 06 and FIFA 05.

But still, it's a problem (relatively). Only solution is to just stop buying games really, but I don't buy them often anyway. Ah well, just have to play more games and watch less TV I suppose!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Yup, same problem. Damn stupid buy 2 get 3rd one free preowned games deals. Means i'm getting them less than a tenner each but have a good ten or so to finish/yet to play!!!
    I'll get around to em tho, just hope i can do so before the wii comes out!!!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I've got a bit of that going on with my DS. I still haven't finished Hunters, Partners in Time, or Phoenix Wright.

Damn Phoenix Wright. Finshed chapter 4 which has an ending which resolves quite alot that was brought up in the game then they chuck another one at you- the bastards!!!!
    Don't even get me started about the extra worlds that don't need to be finished in the new mario but that you have to do anyway!!!
    sigh... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Yea quite a few myself

Half Life 2 (just got bored with it half way through)
    Call of Duty 2 (same as above)
    Art of War (Another 3 for 2 game I installed but never played)
    Tom Raider: legend (Got it free with a graphics card, don't think I'll ever play it)
    Sudden Strike 2 (Keep meaning to play, I really do)

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭IceHawk

Heh, I made myself stop buying new games until I finished or got fed up with all the ones I own now. I'm doing pretty well, but I still have to finish Prince of Persia: T2T, Oblivion, Rome: TW and Barbarian Invasion and X2: The Threat, in that order.
    Problem is I've missed a lot of new releases, though I did crack and go For Half-Life 2: Episode 1, and finished it in 3 days.
    Max Payne 2 is a fairly short game, so if you want an easy one to get off that list, it shouldn't take more than 6 hours start to finish.
    Fahrenheit is one game I found really rewarding to finish, not too challenging, and psychonauts is just a brilliant game, without question. I got too annoyed with B&W2 to go back to it for a while though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Damn Phoenix Wright. Finshed chapter 4 which has an ending which resolves quite alot that was brought up in the game then they chuck another one at you- the bastards!!!!
    Don't even get me started about the extra worlds that don't need to be finished in the new mario but that you have to do anyway!!!
    sigh... :P
    Heh, I'm on chapter five aswell.
    I'll probably finish Phoenix Wright, I'll definitely play Partners in time a bit more and possibly to the end, but I reckon Hunters will be shelved for a while.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Amateurs. I've still got over 60 N64, Saturn and Playstation games to play not to mention emulators and the 30 odd games I haven't touch for the xbox, Ps2 and GC. There's also my 7 PSP games and 5 DS games I haven't played yet. Not forgetting the 20 GBA games and also a decent amount of PC games to boot.

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Amateurs. I've still got over 60 N64, Saturn and Playstation games to play not to mention emulators and the 30 odd games I haven't touch for the xbox, Ps2 and GC. There's also my 7 PSP games and 5 DS games I haven't played yet. Not forgetting the 20 GBA games and also a decent amount of PC games to boot.

Heh, kudos, you should be proud :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

I probably deserve a slap but im yet to finish Metroid Prime... in my defence, when i restarted it i took it slow as its one of the best games ive ever played... approaching Omega Pirate as i type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

Are there 20 GBA games and 7 PSP games worth playing, Retr0? No, there aren't. And so your not-quite-carefully enough web of lies falls apart around you, like a house of cards, but web, which is actually just a metaphor for a network of lies. Isn't it, N00b-0-gamer? I bet you've barely played a Tamagotchi, nevermind Sega Saturn. Of course, you've had to have palyed with a deck of cards, otherwise my argument fails. I think.

I still have to play!

Chibi Robo
    Metroid Prime 2
    Wave Race Blue Storm
    Future Tactics
    Spiderman 2
    Klonoa 2
    Guitar Hero
    Shadow of the Colossus
    Mario And Luigi DS
    Psyvariar
    Devil May Cry 3
    Onimusha 2
    Crazy Taxi
    Halo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

To Finish:

DS
    Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
    Trauma Center: Under the Knife (not for the lack of trying)
    Rub Rabbits
    Sonic Rush
    True Swing Golf

GBA
    Golden Sun
    Castlevania Double Pack
    Castlevania: Circle of the Moon

Gamecube
    Skies of Arcadia: Legends
    The Legend of Zelda: Windwaker (Yeah I know)
    F-Zero GX

Dreamcast
    Too many to list, though to be fair the odds on me ever being arsed finishing half of these games is remote to say the least. Dragons Blood, anyone?

PSX
    Vagrant Story
    FFIX
    Wip3out

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Are there 20 GBA games and 7 PSP games worth playing, Retr0? No, there aren't. And so your not-quite-carefully enough web of lies falls apart around you, like a house of cards, but web, which is actually just a metaphor for a network of lies. Isn't it, N00b-0-gamer? I bet you've barely played a Tamagotchi, nevermind Sega Saturn. Of course, you've had to have palyed with a deck of cards, otherwise my argument fails. I think.

I can list them for you. It's an absolute joke. Not sure if they are worth playing. Though. Most of the stuff I haven't played has been bought in sales. There's a big backlog as well since I haven't had much time to play many games at the moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I am in the same boat as Retrogamer, a shed load of games across 6 odd formats, I am grabbing slices of Resi 4 and SOTC here and there but still look at a pile of titles snuck into the house beneath my unsuspecting wifes nose.
    I just bought a bunch of Xbox games for the 360 and find myself playing Battlefront 2 now as well as Doom3 again, not to mention the fact that there are countless other titles that I want to buy, I think I will never have the time to finish even a fraction of the games that I really want to complete, not top mention all the games that were bought because they were interesting, like Guitar Hero and that Firefighting game from Konami,
    What is a gamer to do?
    She who must be obeyed says its an evil corrupting addiction, or at least thats what she said when she caught the Steel Batallion controller being smuggled home in the boot of the car.

I blame games like Dragon Quest VIII taking 80 hrs+ to complete.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I also blame games like Dragon Quest, not for the above reasons though.
    My gaming time these days is late in the evening, usually between 12 mn and 2 am, thats it a couple of times a week, and I find my time wasted by DQ and other big RPGs, why? Because switching them on at 12 midnight I am asleep on the sofa by 12:15 and awaken at 1:45 am and have to go to bed, an evening of gaimg down the drain, my missus convinced I have had my gaming quota and many other games going unplayed due to my snooze, damn you RPGs, damn you all to hell, that said driving games send me to Sleepy land too, the fact that I awaken with my Ferrari lodged in the scenery, with the onscreen timer reading 1 hour and 23 minutes is quite distressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

I blame the celtic Tiger, back in the eighties I could only afford one game a month at best.

tba wrote:
    I blame the celtic Tiger, back in the eighties I could only afford one game a month at best.

Back then they would have been 4 punts each. If I had a job then I'd be swimming in C64 tapes now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭the-lad

xbox360
    Oblivion (about 10 hrs played)
    Tomb raider
    kameo

ps2
    Dragon Quest VIII (about 20h played)
    Shadow of the Colossus
    ff10
    Psyvariar
    Devil May Cry 1 & 3
    Beyond good and evil
    all the res evils
    silent hill 1 + 2
    gta san andreas
    plus more i can't remember off hand

xbox
    about 15 games started none finished burnout revenge is the closest at 79% complete. (steel battlion only taken out of the box to look at :eek: )

gamecube
    The Legend of Zelda: Windwaker
    F-Zero GX
    Wave Race Blue Storm
    Killer 7
    Viewtiful Joe

psp
    only been used as a mp3 player!!

dreamcast
    too many to list approx 30 to finish about 10 not even started

ps1
    Vagrant Story
    FF8,9, anthology

I don't even want to think about the N64, Saturn, PC engine, mega drive , snes ,GBA games that are sitting in boxes!
    It's a bit ridiculous really

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Oblivion, only 840 points, still a bit to go before thats finished, 70+ hours, and still only a level 13.

Dreamcast

Loads of games, have no intention of playing them though, skies of arcadia is supposed to be good, but it looks too nasty to play.

Xbox

At least 35 games untouched, and unfinished :o

Gamecube

(your all gonna go crazy) :D

I still have yet to finish resi 4, metroid prime, and I aint ever even played oot for more than 30mins (down with this sort of thing)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Back then they would have been 4 punts each. If I had a job then I'd be swimming in C64 tapes now.
    touche

Although I am swimming in c64 tapes

• Advertisement

Forgot about the Dreamcast. I've a rake of excellent games for it but no dreamcast to play them on :) I feel like the poor gamer from that sketch on Consolevania who sold his dreamcast to buy Blue Stinger on the Dreamcast. 'Dogs Bowser!' :D

Irish GrumPy you really should be ashamed of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

This is a bit of a problem alright. Now that im in my 20's and have to work ( sigh ), i prefer games that only take on average 10 hours to complete. I do make exceptions for games like Resident Evil 4, etc... King Kong was perfect for me, really enjoyed it, played it for about 4-5 days and was finished with it then.

I cant afford to play games like Final Fantasy anymore unfortunatley. I dont have 3 month summer holidays anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

This seriously is a screenshot of my desktop. I've got around 300gigs of games installed in all, and I can't get rid of any of them as they are either incomplete or I play them online. I actually had to accept there where certain games I was just never going to complete in the near future, so I just removed them.

I removed:
    Titan Quest
    FIFA '06
    Knights of the Republic
    Knights of the Republic II
    Battle for middle earth
    Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Games were better years ago, I've completed System Shock 2 five times (and I still want to play it more) and I've attempted to finish System Shock 1 countless times (the end is too hard, when the hell does this happen nowadays?).

Deus Ex finished it 2 or 3 times, Half Life 1 the same.
    At the moment I'm replaying Hostile Waters (great game, check it out) and AvP2.

Yet I have piles of games Ill probably never finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I think because the main hype of the games these days is their amazing 1337 gfx, and no work seems to be put into gamplay. My favourite games are Tetris, the original Worms, UFO: Enemy Unknown and Red Alert (also the original Descent) nostalga has something to do with it, but the gameplay is excellent. Modern games I run through and the story is weak and the gameplay repetitive, sure you can see the spit coming off the aliens as they run towards you, but it means nothing after the 100 one killed.

I do however like the prince of persia games which I think are starting to put more effort into gameplay, and this new portal game from valve looks like they are heading in the right direction

Games were definitely not better in the past, you could only afford a handful and so played them to death, investing time and effort exploring every niche on the game until you brought it back to get the pitence trade in value and bought another one.
    Now with lots of ready cash we buy and buy whatever appeals to us, leaving us with great swathes of good titles with no hope of ever exploring much further than 1hr past the title screen before some quirk or puzzle that gets us stuck makes us move on to the next title in our collection.
    Yes I loved Descent, better than Doom on my PS, loved Batman Returns on the Snes, loved Earthworm Jim on the Megadrive, but as I became more financially secure over the years I have purchased more and more with less and less time to play, that time is spread amongst more titles and unless its really something or immediate I quite often just cave in and play something else.
    I have tons of games yet what am I playing now?
    Full Auto for gods sake, It was really cheap and despite being shallow and plagued with slowdown I still find myself switching it on, and hate myself for it each time!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

For example....
    Halo
    Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow
    Black & White 2
    Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones
    Fahrenheit
    Call of Duty 2
    Matrix: Path of Neo
    Psychonauts
    Battlefield 2
    Max Payne 2

Prioritise Fahrenheit and Psychonauts tbh, both brilliant games. Ditch Matrix: Path of Neo because it's cack.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I have loads of unfinished console games. But about 2 months ago World of Warcraft happened. 235 hours of that since then...

Thats always the way, head full of plans to complete some games then something comes out of the blue and bang no other title sees the inside of you dvd drive bar that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

You God damned interent nerds! Why don't you all go outside and get some exercise?

Ahem. Here is the list.

Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines I was really enjoying this game, playing all the sub missions and enjoying the story. Then I got to Chinatown. I've been in Chinatown for around a year now. The prince wants the sarcophogus but I haven't had time to find it yet. Man, he's going to be mad when I get back to him.

Advance Wars 2 I was playing through this getting an S rank on every mission and really enjoying it too. Then I stopped. Don't know why. Think I kinda burnt out on it having played Advance Wars DS and 1 already that year. It was also getting harder to get those S ranks.

Broken Sword 2 I'm on some island. Some island where I have to get through a maze. At least I think I have to get through a maze. I hate ambiguity in what I have to do in games. And mazes. They're a stupid excuse for a puzzle.

Quake 4 I bought this one day on a whim cause I wanted to shoot things. And I did shoot things. Lot's of 'em. Then I got turned into a Strogg. I haven't shot anything since.

That's just the list of games I've invested any time in (excluding Beyond Good and Evil). There are plenty of titles like Dark Corners of the Earth, Deus Ex and others that I haven't had time to touch yet.

Advertisement