Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone in Navan that can wire phone socket extensions?

Options
  • 23-07-2006 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭

that's it really.

living in Johnstown, Navan and having a bit of bother getting the phone wiring sorted.

we have a main phone socket by the front door, but I'm lookign to get an extra one put in upstairs for my DSL connection.

the blank socket with the wires is already there, it just needs someone who knows how to wire it all together to finish it off for me.

I had a half assed go at it myself, but not knowing how to do it, and the info available here and on the net not quite fitting my circumstances I didn't have any luck.

anyone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

have you ever taken the socket off the wall inside the hall door.. with a bit of luck all the wires for the phones in the house are there.. they just not connected// eircom use orange white and green black in to the house (ignore green black.
    this will usually connect to a blue and a blue white in the house (if your house is wired with phone cable)... If your house is wired in alarm cable just copy what ever colour pair of wires are currently connected.. because you cant bell out to the bedroom (gives a tone so you know your on the right wire) connect all the pairs and then go around your house and fit all your phone sockets .. on the back of as tandard socket you will be wiring to green red... thats it phones in every room.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

it's al wired up, but the problem is (or part of it anyway) that there's 2 sets of 4 wires in the upstairs room and another 2 sets of spare wires at the main socket and I don't know which is which. I did have a go myself, but couldn't get a dial tone at all, and I tried every way i could see to do it.

I just need someone wh can have a quick look at it and go, "oh yeah, this goes here and this goes here" job done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

if you stick to the same colours and put a socket at every point all sockets should go live... the reason for the twopairs could be whre the wires are looped ie running on to another room do you have access to a volt meter a tel line should read in or around 56 volts (dc)you can find the live pair using that..just connect the pairs in the hall one by one till you get voltage in the bedroom and you'vr found your pair...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

seriously, i tried everyhting. if it was within my abilities to get this done, it would already be done. :)

i just need someone with a bit more telecoms knowledge to take a look at it for me. i'm not after a freebie, ill pay the going rate for this sort of nixer if it gets the job done.

Advertisement