Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I heart Huckabees (movie)

• 23-07-2006 8:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

I decided i would post this here because i'm not really interested in people's filmic response to the movie. I want to know what the phiosophers thought of it.

Personally i loved it. I thought it perfectly encapsulated the contradictions and madness that is required when studying philosophy. Mark Whalberg in particular was hilarious as the fireman who goes too deep and nearly loses his mind because of the bleakness of his findings.

I think its a great show, really funny. So what did everyone else think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I think its a great show, really funny. So what did everyone else think?
    I think firstly it's really called 'I Love Huckabees'.

Secondly I think it's great that Holywood are starting to take risks again, on films like this, and Napolean Dynamite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

I always saw it called "I 'Heart' Huckabees".

It was a great film, but I can't remember anything about it! Remind me of the fiendishly philosophical plot. I remember smart bits with Dustin Hoffman and that wan, but not much else.

Adaptation, too, another intensely amazing phiosophical hurricane, but I can't remember much about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

Yea I heart Huckabees - that's how everyone refers to it. Some people loved it but I didn't pay enough attention and found it hard to follow. The only bit that struck me was when dustin hoffman was trying to explain that we're all part of a blanket! and that was prob only cos my boyf said how true it was? Most of it went over my head if someone wants to explain what was going on in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

I liked it. And Adaption too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

They kept misusing the word 'existential' and 'existentialism'... I can't quite remember how it was misused because it's been so long since I saw the film, I only know that it drove me mental.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭adm

Absolutely dreadful.
    The worst kind of Philosophy 101 nonsense.

I was also very dissapointed in it purely as a film
    since the directors previous film was 'three kings' which i loved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

I think movies like this are a good thing even if they are philosophy 101. Most people dont have any kind of philosophical education so movies like this one and Waking Life are great in the sense that they get people interested and encourage them to explore and contribute to philosophical thought.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement