Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Rifle to get

Options
  • 23-07-2006 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hey,

I am looking to get a rifle, but not sure what to get. I have used a .177 for target and a small bit of hunting but is far to under powered for anything except a pigeon. I don't really want to be hunting anything bigger than rabbits and pigeons.

I think I will at least need to go up to a .22 but dont know if I should get a .22 pellet are live round?

What are the advantages/disadvantages to these?

How much would a rifle cost, with a scope? How much does ammo cost?

I would be hunting on a farm that is near enough to a public road, so I'm a bit worried about the fall of shot. There are fairly dense ditches around the fields.

Thanks

L.T Smash

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

ok as you had a rifle before i will assume you have a reasonable level of safety when handling firearms.

If not join a club and do a safety course. After all it is and gun and there's no point in saying "I'll be fine" cos you could kill someone!!!

Ok if you're shooting pigeons (only on the ground i hope and not in trees) and rabbits then a .22lr would be my recommendatiion as the rifles are pretty cheap 300-400 for a decent one.

You'd pick up scopes and mounts for round 200-250 for ok quality stuff.

Ammo is very cheap for the .22lr as its a very common calibre.

Ok now a word of warning, never ever ever ever ever ever shoot a gun (be it rifle or shotgun) into a ditch on the road side.

Every shot you take should be stopping in a solid back stop i.e. the ground itself or a big a bank of earth. I cant stress the importance of this, it is vital you know where the bullet stops every time! EVERY TIME!

After that happy hunting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Op, i hope your username isn't to be taken seriously ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Charlie 22

I'm in da same boat as Lt Smash, I'm looking for a .22LR Rifle at the moment.
    I'm looking for a good quality rifle & scope for around 400 - 500 euro. What brands are best? My father used to have a Marlin. Are these any good?
    Thanks in Advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

You won't go too far wrong with a Brno or CZ .22LR ,
    Practically any target range will have some so you can get an idea of what they are like in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭jcatony

jaycee wrote:
    You won't go too far wrong with a Brno or CZ .22LR ,
    Practically any target range will have some so you can get an idea of what they are like in advance.

Amen to that! Have a .22lr Brno with bushnell 3-9 x 40 scope. Great value for money, reliable, solid and accurate. Definitely worth a look.

• Advertisement
Advertisement