Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cuold this be the answer for bb anywhere

• 23-07-2006 10:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭

hi i went onto site http://www.mediasat.ie/homebb.htm to see about about satellite BB, the price seems great at 40 euro a month for a 1 meg download, the equipment is not that expensive either 180 for the hardware and 190 for installation, well at least compared to some of the other satellite BB companys.could this be my chance to ditch last mile BB as i live in the country and they are the only BB company in my area:mad: i mainly use BB for gaming

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

pm. wrote:
    i mainly use BB for gaming
    You won't be using Satellite BB for gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭r@t

pm. wrote:
    hi i went onto site http://www.mediasat.ie/homebb.htm to see about about satellite BB, the price seems great at 40 euro a month for a 1 meg download, the equipment is not that expensive either 180 for the hardware and 190 for installation, well at least compared to some of the other satellite BB companys.could this be my chance to ditch last mile BB as i live in the country and they are the only BB company in my area:mad: i mainly use BB for gaming

satelite bb requires a phone line for upload for which your charged separately as far as i know , also satelite offers great gaming pings as low as 999- 2000.
    good luck with that :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭collie1

sattelite bb?the answer? you are having a laugh arnt you? c u on xbox live for a game of call of duty 2. no wait sorry, youve timed out, or maybe youve been killed before you know it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

pm. wrote:

those prices are exclusive of vat....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

pm. wrote:
    Cuold this be the answer for bb anywhere
    No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Satelite internet is an answer to nothing cept maybe if your wallet is too heavy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

pm. wrote:
    could this be my chance to ditch last mile BB as i live in the country and they are the only BB company in my area:mad: i mainly use BB for gaming
    You want to ditch your wireless for Satellite? Is lastmile that bad, poor pings, crappy speeds, etc? As mentioned, satellite is no good for gaming, besides the very long pings and latency, you'd need to use ISDN or dial-up for the upload unless you go for the very expensive 2-way satellite.

Broadband it ain't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭sleur

why is it everytime someone mentions satellite BB everyone is ramming the fact that gaming & voip are a no go? don't we all know that at this stage or would you like to repeat it some more?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

sleur wrote:
    why is it everytime someone mentions satellite BB everyone is ramming the fact that gaming & voip are a no go? don't we all know that at this stage or would you like to repeat it some more?

Maybe because the original poster said:
    i mainly use BB for gaming

so people were helpfully pointing out that satellite is useless for BB.

BTW I don't consider satellite to be BB at all, it simply falls down in a number of places.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 moloneyg

Vodafone are offering 3G broadband for 50 per month, it's 384/128.

Check that out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

sleur wrote:
    If everyone knew the drawbacks with satellite net access then nobody would mention it or ask about it at all. So obviously not everyone knows.

The 3G broadband from Vodafone may be a good alternative to Satellite for some people, but the speeds aren't great and the caps are quite restrictive I believe. Plus Vodafone's 3G coverage is quite sparse still. Certainly not broadband anywhere. Unfortunately there's still no answer for that.

Advertisement