Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New type of speed camera???

Options
  • 23-07-2006 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭

Was on my way home from Dublin tonight travelling on the M4 when just after Kinnegad the road turns into the N4 and i saw an unmarked estate car on the hard shoulder of the other side of the road with what appeared to be some apparatus on a tripod that looked like a large camera. If it was a camera it would have got you after you passed the parked car and snapped your rear number plate.

Anyone see anything like this before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Could be the cops bulking up their 'nightrider' idea of getting more cops on the roads at night w/ maybe some new equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

could also be a TV crew with all the press of late...dunno.. if it on other side i dont think you need worry really

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I thought that this was the normal mobile GATSO camera

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Celticfire

You could be right it seemd similar to this Mini Gatso . It's the first time I've ever seen anything like it. Is it in common useage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭bg

Celticfire wrote:
    You could be right it seemd similar to this Mini Gatso . It's the first time I've ever seen anything like it. Is it in common useage?

I saw it too on the N4 dual carrage way (dublin bound side) after kinegad in the layby with the big dod matrix sign. The car was parked up with 2 guys looking at the aparatus on a 2-3 foot high tripod, It had what seemed like a small tv screen / monitor on one side, I passed it at about 2300 last night, there was a large red flash out of it after i passed it ????
    Very interested to know what it was.
    Barry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I saw something similar on the N3 near Blancherstown, except the camera was on a 6 or 7 foot hight tripod looking over the hedge at cars approaching from the other side of the dual carriage way.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

The speed cops in the Subaru Forrester have a cemera which is capable of speed detection from behind . I've seen them in operation on the Drinan slip road onto the M1 southbound ...BEWARE !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭kilasser

Over here in the UK the police use small cameras in the back of unmarked cars and vans that read reg. numbers of cars passing by. This tells the police in the car or van if the car is taxed, insured, moted, who its registered to or reported stolen. There are then police up the road that stop any cars that show up suspect. Are the guards over there using any thing like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Celticfire

bg wrote:
    I passed it at about 2300 last night, there was a large red flash out of it after i passed it ????

Barry

Let us know if anything comes from that. Hopefully not.

Advertisement