Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wasp Hive

Options
  • 23-07-2006 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭

I noticed that a wasp hive appeared in my back garden this summer. The garden doesn't seem safe any more with all those wasps flying around and I actually got stung once when cutting the grass. Is there like any organization or something that takes care of such things or will I have to take care of them in my own way?

Did anyone deal with this sort of situation in the past? Any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

It costs between 50 to 75 euro to have done , call the exterminators , there are loads in the yellow pages. The Job will be done in a few minutes , the guys have all the correct gear to prevent getting stung.

Dont do it yourself , you'll only annoy them and get bad multiple stings.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

Hello Duras.
    Nice to see another west of Ireland member posting.
    Try this topic posted recently http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054958909

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Duras

Thanks alot for the advice...

And sorry for opening a new thread, I did a search before posting but it didn't pop up for some reason.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Same problem here last week.I noticed a nest under the eaves of the shed last Sunday--it couldve been there weeks/months but the hot weather must have made them more active as there were a load of them flying into the house all day Sunday.

Metal bin,shovel,plenty of layers of clothes,motorbike helmet and gloves and last but not least some petrol.

I just hit the nest into the bin with the petrol in it and threw in a piece of lighting rag.Finished off the rest that wernt in the nest with a few tins of Raid as they came back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Hellrazer

Please tell me you made a video of that.

@Duras

I have had 2 wasps nest in the last 5 years in different locations, I bought a wasp powder in one of the DIY stores, similar to ant powder but for wasps, and just gently sprayed it into to where the wasps were and around the mouth of the nest. No angry wasps, just be gentle and careful.

Was able to get into one of the nests after a week, was surprised how small it was, all the wasps were dead. Im not really bothered by wasps too much, but they were all over the place and I was terrified that the dog would snap at and try to eat one, hes pretty successful with Blue Bottles.

V.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

No Vex--but I think the missus took a few photos on a disposable camera that Ive yet to get developed--she probably thought that she was capturing my final moments :):)
    If they come out I`ll gladly post a few :):)

Hellrazer wrote:
    Metal bin,shovel,plenty of layers of clothes,motorbike helmet and gloves and last but not least some petrol.

This sounds like great fun!:D
    The bad thing is that the hive is sort of deep in the hedge and it will be a delicate job to get it from there... Time consuming enough to get all the wasps pissed off I think...

As much as I'd like to do the job myself I sort of fear I will get heavily beaten by the Wasp Queen and her minions. I'm still not fully decided yet but I think I will go for exterminators even it sounds expensive for few mins of work.

Hellrazer, don't forget about those pics! :-)

An update... The hive is gone... I was too scared to take care of it my own so the exterminator did the job... Took a couple of minutes if not less... I attached a picture of the victims.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Wow, albino wasps.:D Did the poison/powder turn them white or is that a camera trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 HunterS

Just for future reference, I've always found that the wasps die during the winter. So if you remove the hive when they are all dead u won't have a problem next summer. Somtimes a queen will return to the same spot and try to re-estblish her hive but she can be easily dealt with and sent on her way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

One last thing never to try.(True story)

A guy we did a job for let us in on his method of dealing with a hive.

He got a hoover and sucked up all the bees ,when he was happy that he had them all in the hoover he stopped. Then he noticed that they were all still alive ,because he could hear them.

So the genius ,turned back on the hoover which was now in his kitchen and tried to gas them ,with gas from his cooker.
    Not only was there an explosion ,but the poor bloke got stung to bits by all the angry bees.

Don't try this at home.:D

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

_Brian_ wrote:
    One last thing never to try.(True story)

A guy we did a job for let us in on his method of dealing with a hive.

He got a hoover and sucked up all the bees ,when he was happy that he had them all in the hoover he stopped. Then he noticed that they were all still alive ,because he could hear them.

So the genius ,turned back on the hoover which was now in his kitchen and tried to gas them ,with gas from his cooker.
    Not only was there an explosion ,but the poor bloke got stung to bits by all the angry bees.

Don't try this at home.:D
    ROFL :D Genius!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

ive been an alarm installer for the last 5 years and ive been in many attics running cables and come across lots of those hives, some the size of basket balls.there is nothing worse than being caught in a tiny place with one or more of those things, the worst part is most ppl dont know they even have them. when i come across them i say nothing cause in the past ppl act like its your fault its there cause you told them and expect you to deal with it.
    never got stung but they have caused a few hairy moments up on ladders trying to fan them away with a drill in one hand and a bellbox in the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

The best is when they know there is one and demand you get on with the job.

One guy told us that there was a huge hive in the attic ,before we went up . He offered us a net curtain for protection and was very insistent we get up and deal with it :eek:

A net curtain ,yeah right mister.:mad:

Advertisement