Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bird, tree and wildflower reference handbooks

• 23-07-2006 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

Could anyone recommend comprehensive pocket guides to the above? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

The publishers Collins produce guides in all the above headings. They range from pocket guides to table books.

Easons stock them, I believe. Some of them have superb illustrations too. The bird guide for Britain and Ireland has illustrations by Killian Mullarney, an Irish artist. I think they are beautiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Bear in mind though that Sod's Law will dictate that whatever bird / flower / tree you spot in the wild it will either ...

a) not be in there at all
    b) closely resemble at least three possible matches
    c) be identical to something that in theory does not live here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Alun wrote:
    Bear in mind though that Sod's Law will dictate that whatever bird / flower / tree you spot in the wild it will either ...

a) not be in there at all
    b) closely resemble at least three possible matches
    c) be identical to something that in theory does not live here

You said it!! :D But with experience you will get better!! The above mentioned guides do have a section on 'similar species' so you can eliminate 'suspects'...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I have the a book entitled "RSPB Pocket Birds", published by Dorling Kindersley.

http://shopping.rspb.org.uk/mall/productpage.cfm/rspb/R0165/76543

As you will see, it is described as:
    A truly portable RSPB endorsed guide detailing over 320 European species with clear photography, concise descriptions and notes that give identification features, range, plumage variations etc. It is the perfect field companion for bird enthusiasts of all ages and experience.

It is very good. I bought mine in a local bookshop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭sudzs

Cant give you exact title of the book as I'm moving house and it's packed but it's a paperback, sort of pocket sized and Irish and Derek Mooney has writen the intro.. check out the Money goes Wild website on RTE...

It covers all indigenous wildlife, flowers, incests, moths, sea life, brds, mammals.... and it has actual photos, not drawings. I think it's brilliant anyway! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

sudzs wrote:
    Cant give you exact title of the book as I'm moving house and it's packed but it's a paperback, sort of pocket sized and Irish and Derek Mooney has writen the intro.. check out the Money goes Wild website on RTE...

It covers all indigenous wildlife, flowers, incests, moths, sea life, brds, mammals.... and it has actual photos, not drawings. I think it's brilliant anyway! :D

Be careful with this. It's actually a UK guide that they hacked and stuck in a foreword by Derek Mooney. Have a look through the plant guide and see if you can spot a startling omission?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

would that be shamrock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Yep

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

I have Wild Flowers of Britain & Europe by W. Lippert and D. Podlech Published by harpercollins 1994 ISBN 0 26 167403 x. Its a pocket Collins nature guide and has good photographs with description of plant, flowering season, habitat, distribution (countries it found ireland included) and similar species. Pages are colour coded to plant colours, so if plant is pink hit the pink pages etc, quick and easy to find plant. I use it and find it excellent and it only cost me 5 Euro in a bargain bookstore.

artieanna

Advertisement