Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sushi - Good enough to judge?

• 23-07-2006 11:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

I love Japan, eat sleep and breathe it, and ive even been there [im only 18]

but, I'd never tried Sushi. So went to the food Market at Temple Bar on Saturday and bot a sushi roll for €2, and didnt really like it

It literally tasted like raw fish and cuccumber, but the way people go on about it, i thought it would taste different, much nicer

So, do ye think I got bad sushi or just don't like it???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Well... it is just raw fish.

For me it's the clean simplicity of it that I like, although I don't like the price tag.

What's really nice is if you mix wasabi (the green hot stuff) with soy sauce and dip the sushi in that, it'll taste a lot different then - spicy and sour and fishy and cucumbery and ricy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

You'll get into it. The word sushi covers alot of bases from egg to chicken to raw fish. Experiment with other japanese foods too. It's tasty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Try a real japanese restaurant like Aya or yammamori

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

only had sushi a few times, but loved
    it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I'm waiting for the standard pedantry of the sushi (vinegared rice) vs sashimi (raw fish) post... :D

But anyway - yes, raw fish, vinegared rice, vegetables and seaweed in various constructions is sold in a lot of places as sushi. In many supermarket packs, the fish has to be cooked to meet health and safety regulations (I believe) so I really don't know what you'd call that in the classic sense.

Soy sauce, wasabi and sweet chili dip all make it more interesting. I like it, but I find it gets very 'samey' after a few pieces. And if you're eating out, and the raw fish isn't fresh as, then forget it. It's just bleh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I'm not mad on sushi, myself. I dont mind eating a plate or two, but the taste is too bland to eat a lot of it. I loathe wasabi though, so maybe this contributes to my apathy wrt sushi.

Anyway, it is a stone cold fact that the best japanese food is katsudon.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I love it.
    You could start off easy, Marks & Sparks do little ones where they have their sandwiches. Give one a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Try AYA's take-away packs - they're gorgeous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

yer man down there at the sushi stall - what a legend! he hasnt a word of english and always smiles. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

yer man down there at the sushi stall - what a legend! he hasnt a word of english and always smiles. :D

Give their steamed dumplings a try too, they absolutely rock, sorta a mince and onion buzz with some oriental spices, I love them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

mmmm sounds yummy. i shall try defo.the stall next to him do a mean hotdog too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

mmmm sounds yummy. i shall try defo.the stall next to him do a mean hotdog too.

That'd be hicks, they do some great stuff alright, I normally get my rashers there, but I buy them as a side of smoked streaky, then bone and slice them. I also leave some of it on the block for when I want pancetta pieces.

Advertisement