Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Admin running scared from MCD

Options
  • 23-07-2006 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

So I gather free speech is banned from this site now eh? Grow some balls ffs lads :rolleyes:
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

lol. sigh.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

he he he.....

/gets popcorn

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Hey, here's an idea.... you create a site and I'll supply you with every last word of the posts that were put up here. You have to do so, non-anonymously so you are as much in the line of fire as we are. Then we'll see who has balls.

You game?

DeV.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

this will be good....

Rumble in the Jungle good

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Polski wrote:
    So I gather free speech is banned from this site now eh? Grow some balls ffs lads :rolleyes:

Will you pay their legal fees?
    It's not that easy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

/ pulls up a chair

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Sparky-s wrote:
    Will you pay their legal fees?
    It's not that easy.
    That is where the excess (if any) subscription money is going :D
    SoBe wrote:
    / pulls up a chair
    /Knocks SoBe off the chair

Ahhhh.... comfy...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Polski wrote:
    Not quite banned yet, watch this -> You are a twat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Polski wrote:
    Nope. Not banned. You can't ban something that never existed.

Muppet++

[edit]Prickski: In case you weren't aware - the owners of boards.ie, who by a sheer coincidence are the directors of Boards.ie Ltd., are liable for anything said on this site. You may think that's crazy (possibly cos it is!) but that's the law in this country. If a legal threat is made against them for something you or I or anyone says then they have to deal with it appropriately. Now go and read the last couple of posts in the other thread - specifically the one about MCD not even knowing about their solicitors letter. Kinda of reminds me of the muppet in Fox who commenced legal action against the Simpsons for slagging Fox. Only to find out that The Simpsons are made by ... you guessed it ... Fox!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

/ nicks rabies popcorn mmmmmmmmmm yummy :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Please point me to where we claimed you ever had free speech here!

Hey, here's an idea.... you create a site and I'll supply you with every last word of the posts that were put up here. You have to do so, non-anonymously so you are as much in the line of fire as we are. Then we'll see who has balls.

You game?

0823077020.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This book might help you...

DeV.

Dev - are you suggesting we encourage him to actually speak in public?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

No wonder your wife left you.

I'm suggesting that he too can avail of this new medium called the internet and publish things he's supportive of and take the consequences on himself.
    He can show us how its done...

Oh and this new site, has to have an unmoderated way for anyone to post onto it. Like... oh, I dunno, a bulletin board. I'll install it for him so that there is no problem with the technology aspect of it, for a fee of 1 cent to the SSF.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

We had "free speech" once... but that was taken away by ***. We can only respond in kind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

That was either an in-joke or you've just brought things to a whole new level tbh:D

So let me get this right - if I libelously defame a company or individual on boards.ie, and they sue for damages, you are legally responsible? Even though I am a completely anonymous member of the public and might live in some mountainy pass in Afghanistan for all you know. That doesnt seem fair... does the 'plaintiff' have any sort of case against the poster, or is it just the host site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Polski for admin! DeV, you are due some time off. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

InFront wrote:
    That was either an in-joke or you've just brought things to a whole new level tbh:D

So let me get this right - if I libelously defame a company or individual on boards.ie, and they sue for damages, you are legally responsible? Even though I am a completely anonymous member of the public and might live in some mountainy pass in Afghanistan for all you know. That doesnt seem fair... does the 'plaintiff' have any sort of case against the poster, or is it just the host site?

Yep, Boards.ie as the publisher is held responcible under irish law.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I would love to post freely on Polski's new bulletin board. I am presuming that such a free speech website would be giving it's customers 400x400px avatars and unlimited signatures? I can't wait to finally post freely and unshackle myself from this confined burden of a website. Not being able to say whatever I want about whatever company I want is extrememely annoying.

I will promise to bring Paddy20 and Polmkii with me also.
    xx

• Advertisement

Just against the host site aka the publisher. You can say what you want and DeV, Cloud et al will get their asses sued off while you sit back and laugh.

Believe it ... or not [/Ripley]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Macros42 wrote:
    Just against the host site aka the publisher. You can say what you want and DeV, Cloud et al will get their asses sued off while you sit back and laugh.

Believe it ... or not [/Ripley]

Ok. Funny story. if you get a call from Brian Dobsons solicitors I'll just be erm... over there...

Seriously though thats a strange law. Do they get to stone you as well or is it just a public flogging

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Asok wrote:
    Yep, Boards.ie as the publisher is held responcible under irish law.

It's still in the air about it actually. Up to a judge at the end of the day, but does Boards.ie want to go to court to find out how a 70year old Judge rules on something he knows nothing about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

Will things change when the Defamation Bill 2006 is enacted?

Of particular note is the defence of innocent publication under section 25:
    25.—(1) It shall be a defence (to be known as the “defence of
    innocent publication”) to a defamation action for the defendant to
    prove that— 5
    (a) he or she was not the author, editor or publisher of the
    statement to which the action relates,
    (b) he or she took reasonable care in relation to its publication,
    and
    (c) he or she did not know, and had no reason to believe, that 10
    what he or she did caused or contributed to the publication
    of a statement that would give rise to a cause of
    action in defamation.
    (2) A person shall not, for the purposes of this section, be considered
    to be the author, editor or publisher of a statement if— 15
    (a) in relation to printed material containing the statement,
    he or she was responsible for the printing, production,
    distribution or selling only of the printed material,
    (b) in relation to a film or sound recording containing the
    statement, he or she was responsible for the processing, 20
    copying, distribution, exhibition or selling only of the film
    or sound recording,
    (c) in relation to any electronic medium on which the statement
    is recorded or stored, he or she was responsible for
    the processing, copying, distribution or selling only of the 25
    electronic medium or was responsible for the operation
    or provision only of any equipment, system or service by
    means of which the statement would be capable of being
    retrieved, copied, distributed or made available.

(3) The court shall, for the purposes of determining whether a 30
    person took reasonable care, or had reason to believe that what he
    or she did caused or contributed to the publication of a defamatory
    statement, have regard to—
    (a) the extent of the person’s responsibility for the content of
    the statement or the decision to publish it, 35
    (b) the nature or circumstances of the publication, and
    (c) the previous conduct or character of the person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

damien.m wrote:
    It's still in the air about it actually. Up to a judge at the end of the day, but does Boards.ie want to go to court to find out how a 70year old Judge rules on something he knows nothing about?
    I don't think there's any doubt about boards being considered a publisher under current irish law. A publisher is anyone who imputes the defamatory statement to a party other then the person it is defamatory about. So for example a book seller could be considered a publisher (though there is a defence under the 1961 act for book/newspaper sellers if they did not know and should not have reasonably know the publication they were distributing was defamatory). Similarly the author of a letter that is defamatory about someone is considered a publisher.

With such a wide interpretation of "publisher" I suspect boards.ie would most certainly be categorised as one.

Also this demeaning statement about our judiciary is unfounded (not withstanding that they are typically not that old, mandatory retirement for Supreme Court judges being at 72). Judges have to decide complex intellectual property cases and do understand the issues involved. I think it's a demeaning and prejudicial statement to say that just because someone is old they can't understand technology.

Innocent publication is certainly a defence. Until the defamation is brought to our attention at which time the "innocent" part of that defence dissappears, along with the defence :(

We have some of the finest legal minds over on the Legal Discussion forum (no, I'm not taking the mick, they really ARE that good!) who give us a steer on this sort of thing. If you want to read more about our barmy laws, head over there.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

fair play to counter shushing them for a week :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Polski wrote:

www.polski.ie/forum going to be up anytime soon? I'm waiting too..I have soooooooooooo much to say about companies!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

What happens if someone liables boards.ie? I'm thinking the world ends, in the same way as if you try to delete the recycle bin on your desktop! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Polski wrote:

idiot.

on

so

many

levels.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement