Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Admin running scared from MCD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Why not get some patsy in another jurasticion to host such a site for the purpose of putting up the comments you can't put up here. If it is hosted outside the jurisdiciton there is fup all they can do about it.

Did anyone read the disclaimer on the website of a 'certain' promoter/music festival:
    The Opinions, Views and Comments expressed by the members of this website are their own and do not necessarily state or reflect those of [Our promotions company / festival] does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity or quality of these messages and opinions, and does not perform an independent investigation to verify their truth or accuracy.

All posted messages are the sole responsibility of the person from which such post originated. [Out promotions company /f estival assumes no liability in any way for the content of any posted message or opinion, including, but not limited to, any errors or ommissions in any posted message.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Yeah why cant we have a similar disclaimer? Is it just BS?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

A disclaimer like that would hold very little water afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I dont think you can legally tick away anything legally binding online either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Asok wrote:
    Yep, Boards.ie as the publisher is held responcible under irish law.

Responsible for what exactly?
    Someone's opinion that something terrible might happen at poxegen next year? Their opinion is based on (rather unsettling) facts.

Obviously I can't say verbatim what it was that offended the prissy pants lawyers, or I shall be sued.

Anyway, I actually hope they continue their lame censorship crusade to rid the internet of anything negative about the festival, because they're doing far, far more PR damage to their organisation than anyone else! :-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

tba wrote:
    Yeah why cant we have a similar disclaimer? Is it just BS?
    Talking to my lawyer sis about net laws a while back and it's because you may as well wipe your ass with that disclaimer for all the good it would do. The laws here are ridiculous. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Yes, electronic disclaimers are not worth the paper they are written on

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

BuffyBot wrote:
    www.polski.ie/forum going to be up anytime soon? I'm waiting too..I have soooooooooooo much to say about companies!

lol, time to register methinks.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

So Polski?? What about it?

All mouth and no trousers...

DeV.

• Advertisement

DeVore wrote:
    All mouth and no trousers...

Jesus thats a good one. :D

On another note I see can how all this gets to you, I would'nt blame you.

The fact that a number of users think that they can say anything about anyone (especially a certain company) online and think thats its terms of free speech is one thing. But at the end of the day while mr/mrs user X,Y,Z can say something, it does not come back to them. There is no real name and address in their profile. So like anything else on this site it all comes back to the owners aka boards.ie ltd.

This is where people have to distinguish between speech and "free speech"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

5ef82084.gif

Just an excuse to post a funny image really.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I actually strongly believe in the right of people to post what they want on this site and then stand over it. I've always said "you own your own words" but unfortunately the law doesnt (yet) see it that way. The lawyers know that pressurising the person to remove it is just not going to work so they shoot at us because we're the easy target. The fact is that weekly we have to stand over some things and let other things go. We have to pick our fights and you sometimes the people who get all legal on us have a point, you cant simply go around saying damaging things unless they are TRUE. In this case I believe they were but we cant know that and certainly cant prove it.

This week we've had 4 legal letters from 4 sources, we've responded to them differently from saying "go f yourselves" to partial retractions to complete removals. In this case we are not in the slightest bit happy about it and they have galvinised the admins to find some way to fight back if we can. But we need to do it in a way that ensure the 99.9% of the content and communication this site provides doesnt become their latest "acquisition".

Why do you think Eircom, Esat, Ireland.com etc dont have huge boards sites like us? Why do you think the rest of the internet world in Ireland is allowing boards.ie such a huge headstart in this area of the internet world...
    Boards.ie in the hands of unscrupulous marketeers would be an ABSOLUTE GOLDMINE.... don't you think at least someone would have gone "jesus I think I'll have one of those community thingies too!"

DeV.

http://www.polski.ie/bb/

Let the fun and games begin...

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Brilliant, registered. :D

Polski, you also need to publically put your contact details on that site. ie: you cant do this anonymously, we dont get to. And you *know* I'm going to verify them too :):)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Is he able to see his users passwords on that site? That could lead to an unimaginable amount of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Now brothers, we are free from opression! Go forth to polski.ie and tell the world of your troubles..with no need to hold back!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Actually my Polish friends would like to lodge the first lawsuit for the potentially racist nature of the site's url.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

That site is so coolski . I can't wait to see it kick the asski (or should that be ascii) of all them capitalist types.

/anyone seen my coat...?

• Advertisement

I wouldnt use a password on that site that you cherish for anything else. Boards can't see your passwords but I dont know if PHBPP is that security conscious. Its a good idea not to do so on any other website in fact.

DeV.

What if its not actually his site??? :D

Woops.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Too late now, if we stop we will look like fools!

CHARGE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

phpbb2 stores a hash (sha1). But then again if u dont trust the dba dont use a standard password.

That site is just going to end in tears

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

phpbb2 stores a hash (sha1). But then again if u dont trust the dba dont use a standard password.

That site is just going to end in tears
    its almost impossible to get a pw from this anyways.
    so... *posts libellious content on polmski.ie*

So the question is does he have the balls to take it over with his real name?
    Also, nice one getting around the IEDR restrictions ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Haha, that's fantastic :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

That site has become very dodgy, very fast. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Nipples! Shield your eyes children!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

*retch*

• Advertisement

That's my favourite sig ever. :eek:
    I mean, retch. >_>

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement