Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

judgementalism, animals, perspective, ..etc

Options
  • 24-07-2006 2:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭

Hello.

Firstly Ive had a few pints, if that makes any difference and also, I dont have any background in psychology, philosophy theology, etc.

Also, this will be quite long.

Thirdly, if youve gotten this far without clsing the window already, you rock IMO, please read on.

Right,
    I came home about 20 mins ago [2am] and my CAT was on the window begging to get in. I looked at her, in the eyes, almost like she was a person. I observed her "meau"s and head butts on the window and reflected on her "automatic selfishness", her skill in appealing to our [humans] benevolent sides.

For some reason, it really p1ssed me off. "What a selfish, manipulative little oppurtunist b1tch".
    I thought about it for a while, then concluded that even if I was relatively mean to her she would still, automatically [over time], act in whatever way usually ended up with her being indoors/fed etc.

Disturbed by my making a dilema over an innocent animals welfare, I let her in and gave her some milk and thought about things further. It led me on to something I thought recently, that my 2 year old neice is a stroppy little spoilt brat.

Then something quite dissappointing occurred to me about my personality. Not only that Im very quick to judge others, but that I dont seem to draw a line in a rational point in the sand, ie, that I can jump the gun on a cat, or a child, and dismiss them so quickly, without considering the fact thay they are, for one, not exactly self aware, or even, that they are not intelligent enough to be responsible for their actions.

After thinking about it more, Im really annoyed at myself for not having a more automatic, inbuilt rule, that children, animals, etc, do not apply to conventional judgements on personality.
    Not only that but I would go as far as to say that I would be quite worried about that possibility that I could look at a child, or an animal, as my intelectual and socialogical equal, by any stretch of the imagination.

I presume its just a symptom of alcohol and I really hope it is, because I dont want to, at any stage of my life, walk up to a dog, or a kid, and pick on him for looking at me funny.

So have I lost it?

More seriously, is there perhaps some little aspect of my brain that cant tell the difference between a potential threat, such as an adult, and a harmless bit of social furnature, such as a child or animal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

tip: don't start a thread with the above line as " iv had a few pints"

interesting topic though, should we judge animals/ children differently and offer them different schemas/ ways of thinking? maybe your subconsious mind is telling you that kids/ animals are innocent, need to be treated differently but consious mind has a different way of looking at it/ a more automatic pattern of thinking that the "cat is selfish" in your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

I wouldnt have started the topic like that only, I had a few pints on me.

:D

I feel better today. My cat is back to just being a cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

womoma wrote:
    I wouldnt have started the topic like that only, I had a few pints on me.

:D

I feel better today. My cat is back to just being a cat.

haha, this is one funny thread:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I enjoyed that post. You appear to be on the verge of paranoid schiophrenia.

"Oh thank God the cat is just a cat again!"

Suuure...

Advertisement