Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shin Splints

• 24-07-2006 5:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Any advice on prevention and cure?

Currently I am just strapping them with a bandage for support.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

If you find a good physio they'll treat you in the most unusually and cruel manner to cure you but probably also show you what you need to do yourself to rub them down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Some strenghtening exercises and perhaps better running technique/more suitable shoes would be my advise for prevention. I'm doing the exercises recommended at http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/1079-shin-splints.htm for medial shin splints currently and it seems to be helping.

I'm also trying to pay a bit more attention to my landings towards the end of long runs - if I'm tired my form worsens and I land too heavily.

If you're already injured be very careful with how many and how hard you add new strenghtening exercises.

Advertisement