Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Map Updates

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Colly

Anyone get the update disk from Garmin yet?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 focusman

Nope, still waiting for it.

I see a new firmware update has just been released :
    http://www.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=010-00538-01

focusman wrote:
    Nope, still waiting for it.

I see a new firmware update has just been released :
    http://www.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=010-00538-01

Not a huge amount in it:

* Increased hands-free volume
    * Updated text translations
    * Added support for Russian, Turkish, Slovak, and Estonian Pre-recorded voices
    * Added Russian locale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭wiseolsham

Got a Nuvi 310 for Xmas, updated the firmware and the whole thing locked up, missing software message. Fixed it from nosing around the net and to be honest dont want to risk it again.

On another note, I rang Garmin today re: the map updates and was told they only started shipping them THIS week!!!!

wiseolsham wrote:
    On another note, I rang Garmin today re: the map updates and was told they only started shipping them THIS week!!!!
    Thanks for the heads up wiseolsham at least we know we should get it by next week or early the following week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Got mine this morning, ordered on the 13th of Decemeber and in the processing of updating at the moment.

Jip wrote:
    Got mine this morning, ordered on the 13th of Decemeber and in the processing of updating at the moment.

Did you get the unlock code for free, if so how did that work what is the general process?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Jip wrote:

That's great news Jip, mine should be here soon so too, just upgrading the Firmware on my Nuvi 360, which gives an increase in the Handsfree Kit Volume, not bad at all!

Just back from a quick trip out to collect someone, managed to get it updated before I had to leave and the level of detail is noticably different and this is just for Dublin. Its seems to have a big increase in the amount of street names displayed and in giving you the street/road that you're coming up to.

All you basically do it stick in the DVD and you get a menu to update your unit or install Mapsource onto your machine, I think there may be one other option but I'm not sure. Anyway, I clicked on update unit which seems to instal Mapsource first anway and once mapsource is installed you get to the unlocking part.

You get a little menu which asks you to either enter your MyGarmin account details or make a new account if you don't already do so. I had one so entered my account name and password and it brought back my details which I had to confirm. Then I selected my unit and the install wizard connected to Garmin to verify what unlock I could avail of. It came back telling me I could avail of the Delux unlock for a price of £0.00. Yipee says I and then the instal continues onwards. Once the instal is complete you can launch Mapsource.

This is where I had to consult the help in mapsource as I thought it would automatically update the unit but it doesn't. In mapsource you have to select the "Map Tool" from the toolbar or Tools Menu and then you click on the different regions you want to add to you unit. Ireland is one region but the North East of Northern Ireland is part of another one so I selected that too. I didn't bother with the mainland UK as I didn't want its POIs etc coming up on my unit. Anyway, once you select your region you go to the Transfer Menu and select "Send to Device" and that's it.

All in all it's very straight forward, you just follow the on screen instructions until you open Mapsource, I didn't need to manually enter an unlock code as it was retrieved automatically. Just to be aware, the very first thing it told me to do was connect the unit and wait for Windows to instal the drivers which I assumed was new drivers but it's not, if you already have installed the drivers via Windows and you don't get the Windows had detected New Hardware message when you connect it you can go straight to the next step.

Thanks excellent detail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 rushbrook

Jip, that's great to hear cos I got mine aswell this evening (nuvi 310)
    .. ordered the 13th Dec aswell

thanks for the detail -- I haven't added any software updated yet before
    I got v9 as one of the firmware updates had a clear reference to V9 so
    will update the garmin and then add the newest upgrade

I will reply back when I go through the process myself though won't be going
    far tonight on the road -- left the lights in the car on all day :(

Jip wrote:
    J
    This is where I had to consult the help in mapsource as I thought it would automatically update the unit but it doesn't. In mapsource you have to select the "Map Tool" from the toolbar or Tools Menu and then you click on the different regions you want to add to you unit. Ireland is one region but the North East of Northern Ireland is part of another one so I selected that too. I didn't bother with the mainland UK as I didn't want its POIs etc coming up on my unit. Anyway, once you select your region you go to the Transfer Menu and select "Send to Device" and that's it.

as JIP has said very straightforward process though my update was a slightly different. I had already connected my GPS unit to my PC before I started the update , so when I had got the code it asked me did I now want to update the GPS unit and unlike his manual process mine was automatic

the detail on V9 is great - I spent a bit of time simulating routes and picking
    towns/villages from the map and cheking it's detail.. anybody who has been
    looking at 40% coverage is going to get a pleasant surprise :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Glad to hear the new version is such an improvement. Still waiting on the disk but only ordered it 2 weeks ago.

Got my Nuvi 310 Deluxe from these guys for €340. Was delivered from the UK in just 3 days....highly recommended

www.handtec.co.uk

I updated my Nuvi 310 last night also, and like for Rushbrook, mine was an automatic type process - logged into myGarmin first, it had details of my unit, gave me the option to unlock the v9 DVD. I selected this option and it gave me the unlock code. After this I installed the DVD, entered the unlock code and it then asked me did I want it to do an auto update.

Detail is fantastic in v9, loads more POIs for Ireland. Checked a village in Cavan my girlfriend is from and it had all the streets in there, even house numbers :)

One thing I am intrigued about is the fact that the update DVD is for all of Europe, and not just UK&Ireland - does this mean we can transfer other map regions to the Nuvi also (memory permitting)?

If so, I would be tempted to get a 2Gb SD card to hold maps for other regions as and when I need.

I suppose the process is slightly different depending on what was you go about it so. First thing I did was to put the DVD in and let it run. I was logged onto my Garmin and was on the page you were at but didn't click the button to unlock the DVD, I just let the autorun do it's thing.

One thing, when you're entering an address does Ireland never come up under a couple of different languages at the begining ? Before when you select 'I' I used to get Isle of Man or Ireland, now there's a couple of things.

One road I have noticed that's not up to date is the new Ashbourne by pass, but I think that wasn't opened until May so that's excusable.

Yeah I noticed the county list had changed a bit - for example I went to look up Scotland and the list had Scotland and 'Scozia' (Italian for Scotland) in it.

It's inevitable the maps and naviagtion will not be 100% up to date (I think they are correct as of Q2 2006), for example since New Years Day it's illegal to turn left off the quays on to Parliament St in Dublin. But that said, the coverage is fantastic now, will be great when travelling down the country :)

focusman wrote:
    will be great when travelling down the country :)

Yip, I've to go to a place called Corfeehone in Poles, Co. Cavan in the morning. I think it's on the main Dublin Road anyway but the AA Roadwatch Route finder can't find Corfeehone or Poles so it should be a good test.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Strasser

Got mine today, not so straight forward but got it working in the end. I had to pay for the update, 75 dollars + tax. Going the automatic route I ended up with a silly error after trying to pay "incorrect amount" or something so started again, choose the install maps options then just bought an unlock code, worked fine and now have the new maps transferred to the unit. Detail on first looks seems good, looking forward to driving around some of the previously unmarked local roads.

focusman wrote:
    One thing I am intrigued about is the fact that the update DVD is for all of Europe, and not just UK&Ireland - does this mean we can transfer other map regions to the Nuvi also (memory permitting)?

If so, I would be tempted to get a 2Gb SD card to hold maps for other regions as and when I need.

ya, noticed that aswell - have u tried to add any extra regions outside of UK/Ireland yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Hi All!

My dad bought a streetpilot 320 a couple of months before christmas and I have been given the task of updating it to run the version 9 maps! I havent registered the unit yet and was wondering if I register it today am I entitled to a free update of the map? I dont mind paying the update fee, but if there is a way around it that great!

Any help is greatly apreciated!!

• Advertisement

Salmon wrote:
    Hi All!

My dad bought a streetpilot 320 a couple of months before christmas and I have been given the task of updating it to run the version 9 maps! I havent registered the unit yet and was wondering if I register it today am I entitled to a free update of the map? I dont mind paying the update fee, but if there is a way around it that great!

Any help is greatly apreciated!!

Yes, if you register after the release date of the version 9 maps you are entitled to the update free - for the garmin 100 anyway so presumable its the same for the streetpilot.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Cheers Strasser!

How would I go about this? As far as I know there is a charge to send out the DVD with the update on it. How did you update the garmin 100?

Salmon wrote:
    Cheers Strasser!

How would I go about this? As far as I know there is a charge to send out the DVD with the update on it. How did you update the garmin 100?

You order the DVD via the garmin website and it is sent out free. The point at which you pay is when you getting the unlock code after installing from the DVD. If you are entitled to the upgrade free you are charged $0.00 and you click next as described by another contributor earlier in the thread.

http://mapreporter.navteq.com/dur-web-external/secured/submitDur.do

Nice graphical reporting tool for Navteq map error reporting. Can double click on the map to highlight the junction for them and then log your comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

Colly wrote:
    http://mapreporter.navteq.com/dur-web-external/secured/submitDur.do

Nice graphical reporting tool for Navteq map error reporting. Can double click on the map to highlight the junction for them and then log your comment.

indeed. and gives everyone an insight into the level of mapping available via Navteq. Good Post Colly

And i notice its copyright 2007, wonder is that because its published on the website in 2007 or does it carry a 2007 update??

Since I updated my Garmin nuvi 300 to version 9 it seems to take longer to acquire satellites, don't know why this should be. Also it seems to be less good at recalculating routes when you turn off the recommended one, too many choices for it now with all roads included! Overall I'm very pleased with the improved coverage, excellent road detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭tadgh

Ordered V9 update DVD (Nuvi 310) on December 26 and still haven't received it (Feb 12)
    Anyone else having the same problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭ukdavros

Hi Guys
    I got my V9 map disk for my Nuvi, its the Europe one with Bluetooth.

Ho do you upgrade the maps, I followed the instructions and it wont let me put the whole of Europe on, I presume it should do.

So I de slelected a load of areas to get it to fit and downloaded.
    Looking at in the file directory it seems to have created another image for maps with the original image still there.
    I now cant use route finder as I keep getting out of memory errors.
    Any ideas, am I supposed to delete the original image before or after the upgrade maybe.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
    Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

tadgh wrote:
    Ordered V9 update DVD (Nuvi 310) on December 26 and still haven't received it (Feb 12)
    Anyone else having the same problem?
    I ordered mine about a week ago and got it this morning. You need to look into your order.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pkeelan

rushbrook wrote:
    ya, noticed that aswell - have u tried to add any extra regions outside of UK/Ireland yet?
    Hi I rec my update DVD and installed most of europe on a 1Gb SD card on my C310 and it works perfect , but when I tried to update maps on my son's C310 even though he qualifies for an update it would not work. do I need to order a DVD for his unit as well?

Advertisement