Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Irish Cyclist to lead Tour De France????

Options
  • 24-07-2006 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hi all,

I remember a few years ago seeing some footage of an Irish cyclist who held the Tour De France yellow jersey for a number of days in the early 1970s. He later did an interview saying he was going to make a comeback but was tragically killed in a car crash. Can anyone tell me his name and where I can find info on him.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭da_deadman

The first Irishman to wear the yellow jersey was Shay Elliot, but that was back in the 60's (1963 I think, but I could be wrong about that).

Also, I thought that he shot himself, but, again, I could be wrong on the exact details.

From what I remember reading about him, he was a well respected domestique during his career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭JohnnySideburns

da_deadman wrote:
    The first Irishman to wear the yellow jersey was Shay Elliot, but that was back in the 60's (1963 I think, but I could be wrong about that).

Also, I thought that he shot himself, but, again, I could be wrong on the exact details.

From what I remember reading about him, he was a well respected domestique during his career.

Cheers. According to below website, he won the third stage in 1963 and finished overall in 61st position.
    http://www.letour.fr/2006/TDF/LIVE/us/2000/index.html

Didn't know about the suicide. Can anyone confirm it????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Google for Shay Elliot... first result is a good article.

Gav

Advertisement