Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a teacher

Options
  • 24-07-2006 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi,

I was hoping someone could give me some information regarding the requirements to become a secondary or primary school teacher.

My boyfriend has an arts degree in English and History and would like to become a teacher. He does not have Hons Irish in his leaving cert.

I was hoping someone could answer these questions:-

1. Is it easier to become a secondary school teacher than a primary school teacher?

2. Do you have to do your h.dip before you can teach secondary school?

3. Where can you do the h.dip? Are there many places? is it hard to become accepted?

4. Can you teach in primary schools without Hons Irish?

5. If you do hons Irish seperately, is this accepted?

6. Where can you do Hons Irish? How long does it take?

7. Once you've done Irish, what do you have to do then?

8. If it is an additional course, is it hard to get into? Where can you do it, are there many places etc.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Jen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Hi Jen

I'd suggest you read through all of the posts already here about the ins and outs of getting into teaching. Theres a lot of info already there so have a read through it all and then ask away on whatever you dont have an answer for.

These will help for a start (as posted in the Important links for current and potential teacher thread).

Primary Teacher
    http://www.careerdirections.ie/CD/DB...ame.jsp?id=617

Secondary Teacher
    http://www.careerdirections.ie/CD/DB...ame.jsp?id=618

You can also get good info from threads already posted such as this one -
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054862331

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭sully-gormo

Jen199 wrote:
    Hi,

I was hoping someone could give me some information regarding the requirements to become a secondary or primary school teacher.

My boyfriend has an arts degree in English and History and would like to become a teacher. He does not have Hons Irish in his leaving cert.

I was hoping someone could answer these questions:-

1. Is it easier to become a secondary school teacher than a primary school teacher?

2. Do you have to do your h.dip before you can teach secondary school?

3. Where can you do the h.dip? Are there many places? is it hard to become accepted?

4. Can you teach in primary schools without Hons Irish?

5. If you do hons Irish seperately, is this accepted?

6. Where can you do Hons Irish? How long does it take?

7. Once you've done Irish, what do you have to do then?

8. If it is an additional course, is it hard to get into? Where can you do it, are there many places etc.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Jen

1.Primary School is a 3/4 year B.A. in Education requiring a HC3 in Irish. Secondary, you have to have a primary degree in the subject you want to teach(for JC, doing it in 1st yr. might be enuf ; but for LC you need to have done it the whole way through) then u need a H.Dip. in Edu. which is a one yr course. AFAIK it dosent require Irish.

2.Not sure

3.From what I hear it is tough enough, teaching experience and your score on ur primary degree are the criteria. TCD run a course(see their website) and UCD,UCC,UCG run a course as well (see http://www.pac.ie/hdip.php?page=downloads)

4.No, not permanently certainly

5.Yes(The Inst. of Education, Leeson St. do a course in HL Irish for Primary Teaching)

6. It's prob a yr part time, but if u havent done Irish before(e.g. you didnt grow up in ireland) then ull need to take a different route

7.get ur B.A. in Education (Primary Teaching) Theyre usually around 450pts though

Hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jaded

Hey there, am doing paper two in S.C.G exam and wondering if anyone has any hints on stories and poems. Does anyone have any idea where I can get translated versions of these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Jaded wrote:
    Hey there, am doing paper two in S.C.G exam and wondering if anyone has any hints on stories and poems. Does anyone have any idea where I can get translated versions of these?

New thread started, you'll have more luck that way. Its under S.C.G Paper Two on the main teaching/lecturing area.

Advertisement