Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kidnapped by Israel:British Media and The Invasion Of Gaza

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Bookee

Mmm.... Very interesting. Good investigative reporting !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭nikolaitr

I would have to agree that the Media has a very heavy Israel Bias. It is very noticeable as they always seem to make terrorist attacks on Israel Massive news while shelling of Gaza hardly gets a mention despite often considerably more people being killed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Sgt. Sensible

It seems that as usual there is a lot more to the story than what the main stream media would like us to know. Looks like Israel kick started the latest troubles by kidnapping two Palestinians.
    Yep, I mentioned that here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=51764030&postcount=484

I doubt that there'll be much response. The people who are supporting this war have gone very quiet indeed.

Nixmix, did you come accross that Observer article yet? Would be very interested in reading it, thanks.....!

Not yet although I did just read a letter in the Irish Times in which the writer states : 'However, after a brief trawl through the Internet I find it mentioned by - among others - the Observer, Haaretz, the Jerusalem Post, the Los Angeles Times, the New York Times, Agence France Presse, Associated Press, CNN and Xinhua, the Chinese state news agency.'

This was in response to a letter in last Friday's edition of the IT from Berger,Chomsky,Pinter and Saramago of which I was unaware until today.

Unless I'm completely missing it the Observer site does not have an archive in which you can click on a particular date to search the articles. I'll try the others when I have time later as it would be interesting to read.

• Advertisement

Score!

I used Electric Search which is a search engine that monitors certain media sites etc. I didnt think of using that before as ES does not monitor the Observer.

But I did cme across a report on Sky News from June the 24th titled Israel Changes Tactics

Well done! That will do nicely :)

Yep, I mentioned that here.

Sorry, I didn't read it before now! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Frederico

The Israeli bias is very strong in the media at the moment. Only yesterday someone somehow managed to point out that about 160 palestinian civilians had been killed in the last few weeks.

Anyone seen the photo of the Israeli kids writing on the bombs bound for Lebanon?

Yes, that featured here a couple of pages back, maybe. Give them a couple of years and they'll be posting in that Israel Forum....! :(

• Advertisement

Also, Al Jazeera reported yesterday that the IDF were giving Palestinians 30 minutes notice to leave their homes....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

... then bombing them anyway

This little snippet about the abduction in Gaza before the abduction of the Israeli soldier is very revealing.

But it seems everyone's missed, forgotton, ignored, etc. this event... And still blame Hisbollah for starting the whole thing...? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

How is it revealing? How has everyone forgotten missed ignored etc. it?

Let me clarify before you think I'm missing the obvious.

The Hizbollah captuire fo Isreali's on Israeli soil wasn't carried out by a group of gung-ho guys who rushed a defensive position from their side of the border. They didn't just saunter into Israel like normal tourists, then turn around, grab a few soldiers and saunter back.

Everything about the operation indicates that it was planned for a long time. The tunnels they used weren't dug overnight, and the mission wasn't just a spur-of-the-moment thing. So while one could argue that the ISraeli's triggered the actual date the event occurred on, it is farcical in the extreme to suggest that this was some simple act of retaliation, rather than a long-planned operation that may or may not have been green-lighted in response to the kidnapping the day before.

I'm also pretty sure that I've seen plenty of criticism of Israel, both in the past and during this current run of events, saying that they hardly have the moral high-ground considering that they are all-too-happy to carry out targetted executions on foreign soil on the grounds that its too dangerous to actually capture people....showing that they are not opposed in principle to the notion of sending troops into a foreign nation to seize and remove targetted personnel.

But don't let any of that stop you. Continue on with your cries of how people are overlooking the facts, whilst overlooking facts yourselves. It seems to be the in thing for all sides in this conflict.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Sgt. Sensible

bonkey wrote:

The Hizbollah captuire fo Isreali's on Israeli soil wasn't carried out by a group of gung-ho guys who rushed a defensive position from their side of the border. They didn't just saunter into Israel like normal tourists, then turn around, grab a few soldiers and saunter back.
    Are you sure the soldiers were captured on the Israeli side of the border. I've seen conflicting reports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Frederico

bonkey wrote:
    How is it revealing? How has everyone forgotten missed ignored etc. it?

Let me clarify before you think I'm missing the obvious.

Yes it probably was planned for a long time, just like the Americans have a plan for Iran, for N Korea, doesnt mean its gonna happen. Do you reckon the Israelis had a plan to kidnap half the palestinian cabinet? or did they just gung-ho in. Both are military organisations, they make plans. Is there something wrong with Hizbollah digging tunnels and making plans to kidnap Israeli soldiers?
    Everything about the operation indicates that it was planned for a long time. The tunnels they used weren't dug overnight, and the mission wasn't just a spur-of-the-moment thing. So while one could argue that the ISraeli's triggered the actual date the event occurred on, it is farcical in the extreme to suggest that this was some simple act of retaliation, rather than a long-planned operation that may or may not have been green-lighted in response to the kidnapping the day before.

They're both military organisations. They have to plan ahead. I don't think many people actually believe Israel is ADLIBING any of this, all this stuff has been planned, 100's of times over, wargamed over and over. Hizbollah would be stupid not to do the same with its limited resources.

I'm also pretty sure that I've seen plenty of criticism of Israel, both in the past and during this current run of events, saying that they hardly have the moral high-ground considering that they are all-too-happy to carry out targetted executions on foreign soil on the grounds that its too dangerous to actually capture people....showing that they are not opposed in principle to the notion of sending troops into a foreign nation to seize and remove targetted personnel.

But don't let any of that stop you. Continue on with your cries of how people are overlooking the facts, whilst overlooking facts yourselves. It seems to be the in thing for all sides in this conflict.

jc

The overlooker of the facts has been overlooked by the very facts themselves.

Advertisement