Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi PowerCraft 18v Cordless Drill €29.99

Options
  • 24-07-2006 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, I picked one of these up yesterday.
    I already have a B&D 12v cordless, but I only have 1 battery and a second costs about €35 so I decided how bad can it be?
    Seems pretty good, its 18v so a good bit stronger than my current one, comes with 2 batteries and a 2 hour charger (compared to my probably about 7 hours but Im not going to tell you when its done Black & Decker one)
    Each battery has a charge indicator built in.
    Has 16 torque settings including drill and also 2 gears.

Not bad for €29.99 I reckon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Have you used it yet? I need to pickup a second cordless so two of us can work on slabbing at the same time.

Would be interested to see how it handles an 80mm screw into a piece of 2"x4"

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Have you used it yet? I need to pickup a second cordless so two of us can work on slabbing at the same time.

Would be interested to see how it handles an 80mm screw into a piece of 2"x4"
    well assuming you are using some SPAX and you have drilled the correct sized pilot hole there shouldnt be a problem...
    assuming ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Yeh, if I'm using an 80mm screw it'd be SPAX alright, but have to say I'd rarely drill a pilot hole. And for slabbing it's 40mm drywall screws - I'm assuming you're not suggesting to drill pilot holes for that - right?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I have only recently started to pay "proper" attention to pilot holes, shank holes etc.
    for 40mm drywall you probably dont "need" a pilot hole, but I guess it depends on what you are fixing to.
    2"x2" or 2"x4" batons are probably ok, as long as you have marked their position correctly so you are reasonably sure you are hitting the middle of them.
    Otherwisey you run the risk of a split, even with the narrow plasterboard screws.

For wood on wood its a *much* better job to take your time, drill your pilot hole, drill your shank hole into the "outside" piece of wood and then counter sink/bore it.
    I used to just drill a pilot hole through the whole lot and bobs your uncle, but the screw should be able to easily pass through the outer piece of wood, the head holds it on/in.

Advertisement