Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rogues

Options
  • 24-07-2006 2:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭

Just started a new rogue Character.

Can anyone tell me wich Tree is best to build points on?

You know the way Priest pretty much go shadow until they hit 60, what's the best combo for a rogue?

Ta,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Thren

It all depends on whether you are going to go more PVE or PVP? The subtlety tree is great for levelling, I spent most of my points there as I was soling a far bit - but for party/raid dmg, Combat/assassination is the best. Also, make sure you spend the full 5 points in Malice ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

After duelling a rogue last night (we managed to ding 40 in the same area at the same time, and we decided to celebrate with a duel!), I'm quite tempted to roll one at some stage... looks like fun :) Just for the pure amount of DPS they can do...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

layke wrote:
    Just started a new rogue Character.

Can anyone tell me wich Tree is best to build points on?

You know the way Priest pretty much go shadow until they hit 60, what's the best combo for a rogue?

Ta,

For grinding, you'll want Combat mainly, with some assassination. Oh and you'll want swords if you're grinding/solo questing.

My new rogue is Malice 5/5, MOD 5/5 (I couldnt stay out of the BG's, and you cannot pvp without MOD), and the rest is all in the combat tree. This is pretty ****e in pvp, but it's nice enough for my solo grinding.

At 60, you can go ass/comb for pve swords, combat daggers, seal fate daggers or hemo (which people seem to either love or hate - never tried it personally, dont really want to).

Oh and Rainbow, every pally I know who tried rogue never went back to their yawnadin. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

If they were making undead pally's in the exp I'd ditch my rogue for the mere comic value.

Though the blood elf in the full Judgement set that's in the pics on the site looks fantastic...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

I'd make a seal fate build for leveling if I were you and go swords. Nice quick combo point generation and you don't have to be behind your target. Daggers are a real pain in the ass for leveling solo.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Im specced as a combat/assassination rogue with swords/mace at times as weapons but since i hit 60 im not bothered with him at all.
    On the whole im finding my rogue boring and much prefer levelling up a few other chars.
    That could be because im not into the whole end game instances.
    Having said that raiding small towns like darkshire as a rogue is good fun :)
    Im really loving my Hunter char these days on Bladefist.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Dcully wrote:
    I'm really loving my Hunter char these days on Bladefist.

Bladefist still lives? Ironforge was a deadzone the last time i logged on (2 months ago or so)

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

Oh and Rainbow, every pally I know who tried rogue never went back to their yawnadin. ;)

Here's one for you then Joe ;)

60 pally main, 60 rogue alt, 60 warrior alt.

Though, to be fair, my paladin has full T1, almost full ZG set (usually wear 5/8 T1 + 3/5 ZG), Zin'rokh and some very nice trinkets/rings.

1k SoC and white hits on rogues = fun :D

1k SoC and white hits on rogues = fun
    *envious*
    My pally is only lv40 at the moment...

• Advertisement

To be fair I'm in a very fair minded guild regarding loot division from 20 man content and, admittedly, made some quest reward choices (such as the Onyxia head quest) which, in hindsight, have benefitted me tremendously :)

My current PvP gear looks like this and this is my healing gear

Nice! So envious now... must. get. to. 60! My current gear is linked in my sig (most of what I have is pretty scummy tbh), along with my wishlist (I want the Judgement set, it looks **** cool!). I need a new sword, and a few other new plate pieces for her. Just made sergeant major too, but I need lv45 to wear these! I got a nasty surprise when I found out the perks of rank 5 required making 5 more levels...

My best advice for you, as you seem to be fairly PvP orientated, is to grind exalted with WSG and AB over the levels leading to 60. The exalted Paladin equipment from those two are kick ass - personally I've just never had the time/patience. The grind in there will also get you contacts with people in the larger guilds on your server - a terribly useful thing when you decide to grind some 40 man content for more wtfpwn gears for PvP :)

Remember that, above all, you are a hybrid. Paladins seem to be the only class who can generate aggro in PvP. Again and again I'll heal/cleanse/BoF people in PvP and, perplexingly, the Horde tend to concentrate on me rather then the warrior/druid/rogue I'm supporting. My general rulein BG's is to support until I hit 1k mana and then go berserk, though if the opposition insist on attacking me before that point I do my best to make them regret it :D

It's been mentioned in another thread. That Horde racial known as Paladin Bloodlust. Nothing like a sniff of bubble to have half the horde trying to kill you. At the moment in BGs I'm doing a lot of supporting... at lv40 it's not like there's much else I can do when there's a lv49 blood guard wanting me dead!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

its astonishing that people do BG's pre-60 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Hmm, yeah. If BGs were around when I was levelling, I wouldn't have bothered much, just kept levelling (and doing instances) instead.

I did BG's quite alot while lvl'ing my Shaman. Quite enjoyed them, was enjoyable (most of the time) and a good source of upgrades.

Dustaz wrote:
    its astonishing that people do BG's pre-60 :)
    Makes a bit of a change from constant levelling and grinding... Though from the looks of things it's much easier to get rank at 60! Rank 5 at 40 takes a lot of WSG'ing. Plus some of the goodies are rather tasty. It's nice to get the little boosts from stuff like the trinkets that you get at Corporal and the neck insignia that you get at Master Sergeant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

The trinket is absolutly worth it, but apart from that its a waste of time doing ti while levelling. Youd get rank 5 in about 2-4 weeks of bg's at 60. Less if you hardcored it.

Dustaz wrote:
    The trinket is absolutly worth it, but apart from that its a waste of time doing ti while levelling. Youd get rank 5 in about 2-4 weeks of bg's at 60. Less if you hardcored it.
    Theres also WSG and AB faction to take into account. Yes its all easier to get at 60 because it moves faster, but I do it for fun at lower lvl.

• Advertisement

4 weeks ago I was a lv31 rank 1 (so it doesn't even take that long at lower levels...) Meh, I've had fun doing lots of BGs through the 30s and now into 40s.

Evac101 wrote:
    Here's one for you then Joe ;)

60 pally main, 60 rogue alt, 60 warrior alt.

Though, to be fair, my paladin has full T1, almost full ZG set (usually wear 5/8 T1 + 3/5 ZG), Zin'rokh and some very nice trinkets/rings.

1k SoC and white hits on rogues = fun :D

I don't know you though... :p

Pre-60 BG is actually a lot of fun. It breaks up the monotony of levelling, and, it's much more laidback than level 60 BG-ing. The honour grind tends to drive people insane with lust for CP.

The other obvious trick is the faction rewards. As a rogue, Warsong factions offer lots of nice toys. There's a lovely ring and necklace with lots of str agi and stam.

Moreover, for a rogue anyway, the swords and daggers from WSG are among the best pre-epic gear. The dagger for example, does the same damage as the Heartseeker, the 'best' pre-60 epic dagger according to many. Only the epic dagger from Draki is better outside of ZG or MC.

At level 38, I'm already honoured with the Warsong Outriders. All of the Horde I play with who are rerolls are in there for rep atm. The fun and the little bit of experience are a pleasant bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Lobotomizer and felstriker are the best daggers pre-raiding. For rogues, I'd say AB rewards are a lot better than the WSG rewards, especially for when you hit 60. Don Julio's Band is a must have, and I'd suggest to any rogues to start doing a little bit of AV every now and again every level up as soon as you're able to do so. If you hardcore AV for a week you could probably get from friendly to exhalted. You'll get the glacial blade as well which is another great dagger. There's a cape that's not too shabby either.

Hadn't taken AV stuff into account, my bad.

AV stuff is special though, ;)

With Felstriker, Lobo, Don Julio (or whichever) and pvp set you'd have a solid base to start raiding from.

Don't forget the 999/1000 AV exalted trinket - a very nice reward for use in solo grinding or PvP.

Advertisement