Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting Vodafone to unlock my N70..

• 24-07-2006 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

I usually use bluetooth to connect between pc and phone but this isnt fast enough for installing route66. Finally got a hold of a DFU cable and when i try and setup a pc/phone connection using nokia pc suite, it hangs on the following error:
    'Please connect your cable to the computer and the mobile phone to the cable. Make sure that your phone is not locked.'

I rang vodaphone and they really resisted unlocking it. They said that they had to contact me by post in order to verify that I am who I say i am - and only then will they unlock the phone.
    Is there any faster way to get this damn thing unlocked? If i had realised the difficulty in getting these phones unlocked, i would never have gone near them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭wba88

correct me if im wrong but it sounds like the pc is talkin bout the phone being 'keypad locked' not 'operator locked'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Why not buy a cheap card reader to transfer the files? I've got one built into my laptop and it works a treat.

Or you could tell vodafone that you are going abroad and want to use a UK vodafone sim for making calls and would they unlock it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

wba88 wrote:
    correct me if im wrong but it sounds like the pc is talkin bout the phone being 'keypad locked' not 'operator locked'
    I thought it must be that but even with the keypad unlocked, it doesnt get me any further.
    viking wrote:
    Why not buy a cheap card reader to transfer the files? I've got one built into my laptop and it works a treat.
    If there was a shop across the road selling them, I'd do that but it annoys me that I should be inconvenienced because of their damn policy on unlocking.
    viking wrote:
    Or you could tell vodafone that you are going abroad and want to use a UK vodafone sim for making calls and would they unlock it?
    I didnt think there would be any hassle when I rang them so I didnt have anything like this ready for them. Not sure if I can ring them back now as they probably have my previous enquiry logged?

@viking:did you get your gps receiver yet?

Motorola Mobile Phone Tools says the same thing. In that case its referring to the phone lock (where you lock the phone and need to enter its security code to use it again). I'd say its the same thing for you.

I'm assuming your phone isn't locked in the way I mentioned above so I'd suspect there's something else wrong. The SIM lock shouldn't make any difference whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Not sure if I can ring them back now as they probably have my previous enquiry logged?
    Worth a shot, doubt they logged it. Anyway who's to say you aren't heading to the UK tomorrow?

No GPS receiver yet, shipped out Thursday and thought I'd have it today but no sign yet :(

EDIT: Heh, it just arrived :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Gizmodeon

theres a place on aungier street called my mobile that unlock phones, i think its about a tenner, but otherwise call vodafone and demand that they unlock your phone, they have to if you request it, their bastards about doing it, but let them know whos boss

Gizmodeon wrote:
    theres a place on aungier street called my mobile that unlock phones, i think its about a tenner, but otherwise call vodafone and demand that they unlock your phone, they have to if you request it, their bastards about doing it, but let them know whos boss
    They won't be able to do it, the N70 is a BB5 phone, only Vodafone can unlock it. But the OPs issue is nothing to do with the SIM lock.

Are the right drivers for the USB cable installed?

Karsini wrote:
    I'm assuming your phone isn't locked in the way I mentioned above so I'd suspect there's something else wrong. The SIM lock shouldn't make any difference whatsoever.
    Yeah, it certainly took me by surprise. I mean, if i'm able to establish a BT connection, whats the difference in establishing a cable connection?

And your correct in your assumption. The phone itself isnt locked.
    Karsini wrote:
    Are the right drivers for the USB cable installed?
    I'm under the assumption that they are. USB drivers should be available via Win xp sp2? How can I check?

No, for Nokia cables you need the connectivity driver from their website. Nokia PC Suite also has it built in.

• Advertisement

Karsini wrote:
    No, for Nokia cables you need the connectivity driver from their website. Nokia PC Suite also has it built in.
    Thanks for getting me thinking along those lines. The usb pci card had become unseated in the process. Copying over files for route66 now via usb.

Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Gizmodeon wrote:

Ok firstly, no one will be able to unlock your phone except vodafone so don't bother going anywhere else.
    Secondly, vodafone subsidised the cost of your phone, so if you bought it on pay as you go especially then they don't have to unlock it until you spend a certain amount of money. You can't just demand it.

Pythia wrote:
    Secondly, vodafone subsidised the cost of your phone, so if you bought it on pay as you go especially then they don't have to unlock it until you spend a certain amount of money. You can't just demand it.
    subsidised...christ whats a 'fair' price for a N70 then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

http://www.expansys.ie/product.asp?code=127211
    Recently reduced to 385 here, with no free credit.

Interesting pythia...never realised that was the case with 'ready to go' phones.

Vodafone sent me my unlock code via text today - so cant bítch about them too much anymore.:)

Advertisement