Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help telnet to a mail domain

Options
  • 24-07-2006 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

I need help telnetting to a mail domain but i dont understand the configuration in outlook express. On the servers tab (in OE) the account name is of the form: mail.domainname.com/110/user. The POP3 server name is 127.0.0.1 and under the advanced tab the POP3 port number is 9999. I understand that the POP3 server is disabled by using 127.0.0.1 and uses the account name setting to download mail. The problem is I need to delete at least one email which is blocking the rest of them from downloading but I can't telnet to this mail server using the username and password. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Do you run some sort of antispam software on that machine? That could account for the 127.0.0.1 address.

Use www.mail2web.com to delete the offending email.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fr0g

WizZard wrote:
    Do you run some sort of antispam software on that machine? That could account for the 127.0.0.1 address.

Use www.mail2web.com to delete the offending email.

Yes there is antispam software on the machine in fact im sure the email that is blocked is probably spam.
    I have tried mail2web but it comes up with a login failure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Fr0g wrote:
    Yes there is antispam software on the machine in fact im sure the email that is blocked is probably spam.
    I have tried mail2web but it comes up with a login failure
    Telnet to mail.domainname.com on port 110.

Your anti-spam software has "hijacked" OE so that OE connects to the anti-spam software and tells it to get the mail from mail.domainname.com on port 110, using the username specified, and the password that OE will supply. The anti-spam software is listening on 9999, which is why that's what is listed as the POP port.

I asked google for a link to a tutorial showing how to telnet into a POP server, and the first link it threw back looks reasonable, if you need any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fr0g

Thanks Foxwood that explains it. I know how to telnet and use the POP3 server it just keeps rejecting the password. Anyway I will try to bypass the antispam software and see if i can download the emails.
    thnks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Run Ethereal and use OE to check your mail. You'll see the password being sent over the wire in the clear. You can then use the password to connect to the domain.

Or just get the password from your anti-spam//virus checker software.

Gav

• Advertisement
Advertisement