Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last Mile getting even worse...

• 24-07-2006 3:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

Been trying to get through to Last Mile since before 12 noon today and low and behold - NO ONE ANSWERS THE PHONE! In fact, its constantly engaged - more like off the hook.

What shower of w@nkers is this? I'm in my brother's house in Athlone, desperate for an internet connection, has been ridden by Digiweb in terms of lying about their service to him, then IBB that they are fully booked out in the area, Eircom is too expensive, and Smart can't because Eircom are also w@nkers...

We found that the wireless aerial on his roof is that from Last Mile (from the previous tenants), and I am on this connection on my laptop which already has my own Last Mile connection settings from where I live, so we know it is to do with Last Mile.

Does anyone know how to get some service from them at all?

TIA,

Seanie.

:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Call to their office in Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭kyper

Well they don't have a helpdesk. They dont respond to email (took 6 weeks for a reply on a general sales query).

I've friends who waited up to 12 weeks for an installation. They think it's ok to take their service down for upgrades without notification at 6pm because it's "out of hours". They are an ISP with no AS number so they are only peered with one carrier (Packet Exchange from looking at a ripe whois on one of their ips).

They also cry about the use of bit torrent and threaten to block it saying it is used for illegal downloading only. And on top of that their service is over priced

€35 ex vat for 512k connection is a bit steep

http://lastmile.ie/pricing.html

Luckily I didn't have to sign up with them as I got on an eircom wimax trial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

you might as well bang your head off a brick wall they dont give a f**k, i finally got my speed sorted after nearly 2 months of ringing the w@nkers.

They also cry about the use of bit torrent and threaten to block it saying it is used for illegal downloading only. And on top of that their service is over priced.

kyper what is bit torrent ? is it for file sharing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

kyper wrote:
    Tell us more. How? why? where? etc..:)

WIMAX is a closed trial I got through work.

BitTorrent is a method for sharing files by breaking files up to little bits and sending them to peers. Once a peer receives that block other peers can download that from him. It's pretty fast. It is used for illegal downloading but it is also used for a lot of legitimate purposes such as distributing free software such as linux and more and more companies are adopting it as a distribution method.

have a look here for more information.

Good news about wimax is it is fantastic... I've non line of sight 7.5km out and I'm getting pings of < 40 ms on average and while it wasnt limited was getting up to 6mbps they now have proper limits in place and I'm getting 2mbps/1mbps. Looks like they will be rolling it out soon enough.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 196 ✭✭Stan 10

kyper wrote:

Hi kyper, Do you work for Eircom and is there many of them trials going on at the moment. I seem to remember some of the experts rubishing Wimax some time ago , great to get get some good news about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

kyper wrote:

is that the new Alvarion gear eircom have or is it Airspan , how many are they trialling in Athlone ????

No I don't work for eircom myself.

There are plenty of people in athlone trialing it. I think they are also trialing it in sligo, limerick and galway.

I think I heard someone say 200 Households in total.

They are using airspan gear so it's the older wimax stuff. I'm 7.5km out from the base station and I have not got a line of sight and my pings are < 40ms and before they started limiting connections I was getting about 6mbps.

They are using thompson routers with two RJ11 ports and the router also has a sip gateway on it so you can use a normal phone as a VoIP Phone. SIP with smart076 works great with it using both a pc sip client and a pstn phone using the gateway.

This could be wrong but the guy I heard it from is pretty clued in.... anyway he said there are a few isps trying to get a national licenced frequency for wimax and the ones he mentioned were eircom, digiweb, lastmile and irish broadband. He also mentioned that eircom will most likely get it given compaints against ibb and lastmile and also they would be the only ones with the resources to role it out on such a large scale.

Over all.... wimax is great :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 196 ✭✭Stan 10

That is great news. There may be hope for the people outside the 3 mile radius served by Eircom at the moment.

Most definitly. It looks like so far the trial has been a total success on all trial sites.

In Athlone the WIMAX transmitter is on the eircom mast at Roslevin which is pretty high and should cover 10+ km

I'll post once I hear more about it. I think the trial ends in october or there abouts. So the role out should happen say after christmas pending comreg approval which should be granted no problem. Eircom could cover the whole country in the space of a year or so.

• Advertisement

kyper wrote:
    They are using thompson routers with two RJ11 ports and the router also has a sip gateway on it so you can use a normal phone as a VoIP Phone. SIP with smart076 works great with it using both a pc sip client and a pstn phone using the gateway.

Jaysus , I thought Thompson gear was Docsis not Wimax .

Great to hear eircom are offering decent wireless for the first time ever. Whats the model number of the thompson jobbie BTW so I can find out what it does ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

kyper wrote:
    Most definitly. It looks like so far the trial has been a total success on all trial sites.

In Athlone the WIMAX transmitter is on the eircom mast at Roslevin which is pretty high and should cover 10+ km

I'll post once I hear more about it. I think the trial ends in october or there abouts. So the role out should happen say after christmas pending comreg approval which should be granted no problem. Eircom could cover the whole country in the space of a year or so.

Hmm once again they will have the monoply just as they did over a telephone line so this leeds them to charge what ever they want.

I'll get back to you with the router model. The thompson router is just a regular wifi/ethernet router which is connected to some airpan box mounted outside.

Comreg wont let them have a monopoly which they have anyway... All anyone needs to start selling wimax is an operators licence from comreg and a pppoe server in colo.

That's how most isps offer dsl.

kyper wrote:
    I'll get back to you with the router model. The thompson router is just a regular wifi/ethernet router which is connected to some airpan box mounted outside.

Comreg wont let them have a monopoly which they have anyway... All anyone needs to start selling wimax is an operators licence from comreg and a pppoe server in colo.

That's how most isps offer dsl.

........and lots and lots of money. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I wonder what part of the spectrum eircom are using... It must be a fair amount to offer speeds like that.

I wonder what part of the spectrum eircom are using... It must be a fair amount to offer speeds like that.

I feel that the mention of Wimax and Airspan inclines me to think that this is the naughty stuff with the 2.4Ghz spectrum that I was expecting .

http://www.airspan.com/PR_Downloads/Airspan%20Municipal%20Wireless%20Release%20final%20june%2027-06.pdf

Rurtel me hole :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

kyper wrote:

Good news about wimax is it is fantastic... I've non line of sight 7.5km out and I'm getting pings of < 40 ms on average and while it wasnt limited was getting up to 6mbps they now have proper limits in place and I'm getting 2mbps/1mbps. Looks like they will be rolling it out soon enough.

does that mean that last mile wireless days could be numbered if they don't get their act together and lower their prices and up their speed ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

VOIP is a nightmare at the moment on it. Almost unusable. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

pm. wrote:
    does that mean that last mile wireless days could be numbered if they don't get their act together and lower their prices and up their speed ?

Hopefully...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Many companies are using wimax varients but with alot of the licenced spectrum already licenced out eircom will not expand as fast as expected.

As for last mile, they are available in my home town at the moment and i'd rather do without that connect with them. 1M/512k €99 ex VAT screw that.

• Advertisement

But there is a lower package than that that may suit you, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

512 is pretty much useless for alot of applications , especially at its current performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

512k is 483k more than I was getting on our dismal eircom line, my last mile connection is reasonable still no good for voip but I average the full 512k off peak since I pointed the antenna the right direction. The fact that they are not peered and route everything through london reeks of amateurishness though:

Tracing route to boards.ie [82.195.136.250]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 133 ms 184 ms 97 ms 89.184.32.10
    2 * 463 ms 265 ms 89.184.32.1
    3 241 ms 232 ms 224 ms 80.253.125.1
    4 41 ms 212 ms 59 ms ge-10-2.ipcolo1.London1.Level3.net [4.68.116.137
    ]
    5 288 ms 68 ms 192 ms 80.253.124.21
    6 105 ms 96 ms 228 ms 82.195.143.4
    7 229 ms 76 ms 175 ms boards.ie [82.195.136.250]

Trace complete.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

See I'm getting too much of a good thing here in dublin. I have 4meg up here and paying 99 for a 1meg in offaly would be painfull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

So I need to get internet into the house in athlone in sept, at the moment whose the best to go with? just the basics, 512/1mb?

Advertisement