Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

DIY Tinted Windows...Help

Options
  • 24-07-2006 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭

Ok bought this tinted windows film and the instructions are the worst I have ever seen come with something.
    Anyone able to help me out? Tell me how to put it on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

I'd rather you didn't tint your windows if it's all the same to you. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

How much did you pay for the rolls of tint? My best bit of advice is to bring them back and get your money back. Pay some of the tinting place €200 to do it, you'll save money in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

For something like this it is probably better not to attempt the job at all if you need to follow instructions.

Doing things like around rear wipers is a nightmare and a half by the looks of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Why why why? (again!)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Skyuser wrote:
    Ok bought this tinted windows film and the instructions are the worst I have ever seen come with something.
    Anyone able to help me out? Tell me how to put it on.

don't do it... don't do it.. don't do it....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

NAFF!

The boys and girls in the Modified Cars forum can probably help. They like that kind of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

NAFF!

The boys and girls in the Modified Cars forum can probably help. They like that kind of thing.
    Unlike the ultra boring politically correct vw golf/ford focus people that reside on the boards motoring section.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭tyney

If you have very young kids, a tint on the rear half of the car allows them to sleep in their seats comfortably on long journeys,especially during the summer. It also keeps the car much cooler during the day when parked in the sun. you can also leave some of their toys/jackets/rubbish on the seats, and it's not in full view ..... For some people it's not about looking good, it's more functional. I would rather not have tinted windows, but they are very beneficial until the kids are older. You will not do this job successfully yourself. get the professionals to do it. If you really want to waste your time, use lots of soapy water to allow the film to slide around into position. It's really really difficult to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Wing Walker

Nuttzy wrote:
    Unlike the ultra boring politically correct vw golf/ford focus people that reside on the boards motoring section.

Ooooooooohhhh, harsh... but so right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

/Bangs head off wall.

As an 18 year old strapper of a lad I used to work in the trade. Just a warning, this is not as easy as everyone thinks. There is skill involved.

So here's the guide.

You need.

one spray bottle.
    one squeegie (spelling?)
    one flat stanley blade
    one stanley knife (sharper the better)
    one brillo pad.
    one heat gun.

First off, you need propper film, not the **** you buy in Ricards or some place like that. The rolls will probably cost in and aroun €200 from the US and that will do about 4-6 small cars. The real stuff will have metal fibres running though it.

1) First off clean the inside windows (remove side panels as needed) with a stanley blade and washing up liquid + water. For the back window make sure you use a brillo pad or some other wire wool, because one scrape with a stanlety will break the filiment.

2) Wind down which ever window your working on about 1/3 of the way. Spray the outside of your window with soapy water. Now on the outside place the film over the window.

3) Use your squeegie to remove the excess water. There is a method here so be careful this is one of the hardest bits. When you have the film on the outside squeegie a horizontal line in the centre from centre to left and thern centre to right. Now carefully do the same vertically from centre to top/bottem etc. If you mess this up slightly your film will crease and can go in the bin.

3) Now that the film is stuck to the outside. Cut the shape. Use your stanley knife to cut along the film going with the window cuvature and the sides.

4) On the inside of the window (not directly at the film) use your heat gun lightly (the layer of glass will stop it melting) while using the squeegie to keep it in shape. This will bend the metal fibres running though it so it curves to the window shape.

5) Spray the inside window again with soapy water. now peel off your film from the outside. The tint will have a clear protective plastic covering the glue. Stick the film to the inside of your windows but leave 1 inch between the film and the top of the windows to stop the film peeling when you wind your windows up. If all goes well it should just pop in and require you to finish the cutting of the bottom bit (but this won't be hard to do). Repeat step 3.

6) Run the heat gun over it again from the outside of the car to make sure it's all in shape.

7) wind up the wondows and leave dry for 2 days before using them again.

Note :: Back windows are the hardest and may require you to use two sheets of film/

My advice, get a pro to do it.

EDIT ::

If you have a VW, the windows are soft when cutting the shape go VERY VERY gently.

If you have an old style MR2, don't, just don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

layke wrote:
    Just a warning, this is not as easy as everyone thinks. There is skill involved.

Everyone on this thread told him not to do it himself becuase its too complex....

I meant in general - and was considering editing it.

But being Irish I said "Ah it's fine".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

@Layke

Ive had a nightmare trying to do the back window in my civic,ive tried using strips going from side to side and overlapping on the heater lines but once i get to the edges it buggers itself up,any tips on that

Ah the back winodow.

The problem is the curvature on them, and the amount of times you crease them...rawr.

Usually we would have done them in two strips. One on the top and one on the bottom and tried to join along a filament bar so it didn't show from the outside.

Put the film on the outside first, soap the window, place film, cut it with our mate Stanno, make a horizontal line through the centre so it sticks.
    Now here's the tricky part, you need to flatten it down with the squeegie. To do so you must use the heat gun on inside window while flattening the outside, like above it will bend the fibres within the film. You might need some help with this but remember only do a small area at a time the smaller the better. The goal being to move out from the horizontal line in all directions.

If you use the heat gun too much you risk messing up the job. I for one have done it countless times and royaly fubared it. So set it to a low setting and let the glass heat gradually.

Just to add if you do mess it up don't worry finish the job so you can still learn. Consider it practice, it took me a while but i'm not naturally gifted with my hands.

g'luck
    Pete

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

pete ...

theres no end to the crap you know ;)

good guide tho

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Just to add,
    In the end i left mine in to have the rear window done,i nearly had it done in two strips but ended up creasing the corner,Side windows are fine its just the curves of a rear which are a pain and less hassle/money loss leaving it in for that done

Advertisement